Best time to embark for non suites @FLL

Thebes

I truly hate standing in lines. With that in mind. What would be the ideal time to arrive at Port Everglades for my 4 PM scheduled departure. I have been reading about people spending 2 hours in lines by the time they get on the ship. Bear in mind I'm not a mariner and we don't have a suite booked. Thank u in advance for sharing your experience.

Edited by Thebes

I truly hate standing in lines. With that in mind. What would be the ideal time to arrive at Port Everglades for my 4 PM scheduled departure. I have been reading about people spending 2 hours in lines by the time they get on the ship. Bear in mind I'm not a mariner and we don't have a suite booked. Thank u in advance for sharing your experience.
Where have you read this? We've done six departures from PEG (most recent Mar 2012) and have never seen lines like that! The terminal doors won't open until 11:00, so before that you could find a line on the sidewalk outside that takes a while to process in to check-in, and then there could be another 30>45 min of sitting in the waiting room. Usually the crush is over by 12:00 to 12:15. By 1:00 you should be able to just walk through ... unless you get very unlucky and hit it when a transfer bus pulls in. :)

edit: if it's the first departure of the season after the ship has been out of the country for months, that could delay boarding a couple of hours for the USCG inspection.

Edited by catl331

I have stood in lines there, sometimes more than an hour. I would for sure suggest after 1PM or later. I have to ask, who does enjoy standing in lines:D? That said, I swear many people in Calgary are brutally rude and impatient and don't want to stand in lines. When it comes to Stampede time they will stand in line for an hour to get a crappy pancake. Is it that hard to make some at home:confused:.

I have stood in lines there, sometimes more than an hour. I would for sure suggest after 1PM or later. I have to ask, who does enjoy standing in lines:D? That said, I swear many people in Calgary are brutally rude and impatient and don't want to stand in lines. When it comes to Stampede time they will stand in line for an hour to get a crappy pancake. Is it that hard to make some at home:confused:.

Thanks Lorene :)

How about if we get there at 10 or 10:30 ? Would that be also a slow time without lines ?

Only downside for waiting till 1:30 is we like to get settled before muster drill and maybe tour the ship as it's our first time. We also need to stop by the Hydropool and get a refund. Also making sure we got the right retreat cabanas and also book Tamarind for lunch for sail in San Juan.

If you don't care about lunch on board, gear to arrive around 1:00 pm or 1:30 pm and wouldn't think you would see any lines. We never have if we arrive at that time:D Now, if the ship is being inspected and/or has NORO (heaven forbid) that puts a whole new slant on things. But, under regular circumstances, stuff is pretty simple by that time;)

Coming early - like 10:00 am, as said, guarantees lines, especially if HAL's flights have arrived as they will all be there waiting!:eek:

It can be dependent on the timeing of arrivals from the airport but our best embarkation was around 3:00, we walk into the room and their were about 20 HAL agents and only about 10 customers.

BTW: We arrive 48 hours before cruise.

Thanks everyone who responded :):)

Edited by Thebes

It can be dependent on the timeing of arrivals from the airport but our best embarkation was around 3:00, we walk into the room and their were about 20 HAL agents and only about 10 customers.
For a 4:00 departure the lifeboat drill will likely be at 3:15, so by the time you get checked in you'd barely have time to throw your stuff in the room before heading to the drill. Edited by catl331

If you get there at 10 you're pretty much guaranteed an hour in line as they don't open the doors until 11.

In March we arrived at 10:30am. The doors had obviously been open a long time as there was only a short line to get to security and head upstairs where most of the chairs were already full of those who had already checked in. ;) Which only proves - nothing in FLL is set in stone.

If you don't care about lunch on board, gear to arrive around 1:00 pm or 1:30 pm and wouldn't think you would see any lines. We never have if we arrive at that time:D Now, if the ship is being inspected and/or has NORO (heaven forbid) that puts a whole new slant on things. But, under regular circumstances, stuff is pretty simple by that time;)

Coming early - like 10:00 am, as said, guarantees lines, especially if HAL's flights have arrived as they will all be there waiting!:eek:

Wonder if we can eat lunch on our own at PG or Tamarind ?

At Port Everglades in FLL on 10/27/13, we arrived by taxi around 12:30 pm and waited for two hours in line to get through security. Many people in line said this was not how it normally is and even the Holland American reps who checked us in when we finally got upstairs were very apologetic.

How about if we get there at 10 or 10:30 ? Would that be also a slow time without lines ? Very little lines as the terminal only opens at 11 usually. Why stand outside in the heat for an hour when you don't have to?Only downside for waiting till 1:30 is we like to get settled before muster drill "That will happen much later in the afternoon ... around 3 pm" and maybe tour the ship as it's our first time. We also need to stop by the Hydropool and get a refund "That will take approx. 2 minutes and can be done anytime before your first visit". Also making sure we got the right retreat cabanas and also book Tamarind for lunch for sail in San Juan "Another 2 minute effort ...".[/QUOTE]

Relax ... you will do just fine whenever you board! ;)

How about if we get there at 10 or 10:30 ? Would that be also a slow time without lines ?

Only downside for waiting till 1:30 is we like to get settled before muster drill and maybe tour the ship as it's our first time. We also need to stop by the Hydropool and get a refund. Also making sure we got the right retreat cabanas and also book Tamarind for lunch for sail in San Juan.

Sounds like you've gotten some great advice from other folks. I've never gotten to the pier that early because I usually do Hal transfers. My next cruise will be different.

Last time I left the hotel at 11am, after a short couple of stops at other terminals from the shuttle, I arrived around 11:20 and I had NO people in front of me at any given point. Until I arrived at the Lido, of course ;-)

Hi H,

Looks like you work for Air Malta? I work for a company owned by 8 major airlines. Very cool :)

Andrea

How about if we get there at 10 or 10:30 ? Would that be also a slow time without lines ? Very little lines as the terminal only opens at 11 usually. Why stand outside in the heat for an hour when you don't have to?Only downside for waiting till 1:30 is we like to get settled before muster drill "That will happen much later in the afternoon ... around 3 pm" and maybe tour the ship as it's our first time. We also need to stop by the Hydropool and get a refund "That will take approx. 2 minutes and can be done anytime before your first visit". Also making sure we got the right retreat cabanas and also book Tamarind for lunch for sail in San Juan "Another 2 minute effort ...".[/QUOTE]

Relax ... you will do just fine whenever you board! ;)

Thank you for your time replying in an organized fashion :)

Where have you read this? We've done six departures from PEG (most recent Mar 2012) and have never seen lines like that! The terminal doors won't open until 11:00, so before that you could find a line on the sidewalk outside that takes a while to process in to check-in, and then there could be another 30>45 min of sitting in the waiting room. Usually the crush is over by 12:00 to 12:15. By 1:00 you should be able to just walk through ... unless you get very unlucky and hit it when a transfer bus pulls in. :)

edit: if it's the first departure of the season after the ship has been out of the country for months, that could delay boarding a couple of hours for the USCG inspection.

Check post # 14 from cwd79

This is a very recent story and that what I based my post on.

At Port Everglades in FLL on 10/27/13, we arrived by taxi around 12:30 pm and waited for two hours in line to get through security. Many people in line said this was not how it normally is and even the Holland American reps who checked us in when we finally got upstairs were very apologetic.

Do you know if this is the first cruise for the Edam after coming back into the US

From Europe ?