C@A $ penalty

lulabelle

There is a higher C&A balcony discount if you book early, so perhaps changing your reservation to a different fare after that early booking deadline drops you to the slightly lower C&A benefit that would be in effect at that time.

I'm just speculating, though. I have not ever had the benefit of a price drop.

Got a price reduction in a 10 day cruise, and RC reduced the C@A balcony discount by $25. Has this happed to anyone?

You don't specify when this was booked but one thing to consider is that the balcony discount is only at the full amount for bookings 6 months or more prior to the sailing. Bookings made less than 6 months from the sailing are $25 less for the balcony discount. This has been the RCI policy ever since we started getting the balcony discount and we have not seen anything different with this on any of our recent or booked sailings. Could that be it?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Got a price reduction in a 10 day cruise, and RC reduced the C@A balcony discount by $25. Has this happed to anyone?
Happens all the time if it's less than 6 months to your cruise. It seems fair to me. You should be happy you got the price reduction. Edited by FLACRUISER99

This cruise was booked a year ago. Price reduction was 4 months befoe the cruise. I have booked many cruises through RC and have never seen a C&A balcony reduction before. Oh well RC's not too loyal to its frequent cruisers. Maybe a moot point, but still annoying.

Thanks for your responses.

This cruise was booked a year ago. Price reduction was 4 months befoe the cruise. I have booked many cruises through RC and have never seen a C&A balcony reduction before. Oh well RC's not too loyal to its frequent cruisers. Maybe a moot point, but still annoying.

Thanks for your responses.

I've gotten price reduction and maintained the balcony discount.

I've had this happen once on a cruise that was originally booked more than a year out, but that was because we changed the cruise date, cabin category, and ship about a month before the cruise due to scheduling problems (reservation number stayed the same). Went from a 7-night to a 5-night, from balcony to a JS, and from FOS to Jewel. Somewhere within that combination we changed enough things to make it an inside six months booking.

Edited by orville99

I suggest you call them back and ask them to explain why they have reduced your balcony discount..perhaps they missed the fact you booked more than 6 months before the cruise. Your C&A discount should not have been affected by price drop.

Good luck :D

It doesn't seem appropriate that they reduced the value of the coupon. You did not cancel and make a new reservation, did not change ships, did not change sailing date. The price reduction for the cruise should not have made a difference.

It doesn't seem appropriate that they reduced the value of the coupon. You did not cancel and make a new reservation, did not change ships, did not change sailing date. The price reduction for the cruise should not have made a difference.

It's not a coupon. It's a balcony discount

I would call C&A 1-800-526-9723. If they can't fix it then here is the number to the Resolutions Department 1-800-205-9812.

Edited by cruisenfever

I suggest you call them back and ask them to explain why they have reduced your balcony discount..perhaps they missed the fact you booked more than 6 months before the cruise. Your C&A discount should not have been affected by price drop.

Good luck :D

Have to agree - reduction should not have happened - maybe a glitch in their new system?

I don't know if it's a new policy, but I do know it's the current policy. If you book more than 6 months out, you get the full discount. If you take advantage of a price drop/promotion less than 6 months out, they will reduce the balcony discount as if it's been booked less than 6 months out.

I can understand both sides. You don't think the discount should be reduced since you booked it originally more than 6 months.

RC is allowing you take advantage of a price drop but is treating it somewhat as a new reservation since your price is changing, so they are reducing the balcony discount.

I suppose if RC wanted to make it a clear distinction, they could simply announce from now on that guests can indeed take advantage of a price drop before final payment, but you have to cancel and rebook to do so. Then, it wouldn't be the same reservation and then you clearly would be booking less than 6 months out and get the lesser balcony discount.

I don't know if it's a new policy, but I do know it's the current policy. If you book more than 6 months out, you get the full discount. If you take advantage of a price drop/promotion less than 6 months out, they will reduce the balcony discount as if it's been booked less than 6 months out.

I can understand both sides. You don't think the discount should be reduced since you booked it originally more than 6 months.

RC is allowing you take advantage of a price drop but is treating it somewhat as a new reservation since your price is changing, so they are reducing the balcony discount.

I suppose if RC wanted to make it a clear distinction, they could simply announce from now on that guests can indeed take advantage of a price drop before final payment, but you have to cancel and rebook to do so. Then, it wouldn't be the same reservation and then you clearly would be booking less than 6 months out and get the lesser balcony discount.

What is your source for this information?

lulabelle, there are many glitches in the new updated system.

One of the changes is that it automatically computes your balcony discount if you are logged in when you book online.

Mine is entered wrong somewhere in the system, and only gives me the Diamond discount instead of the Diamond Plus discount.

Something like this could be happening to you. As others said, and Patti provided the numbers: CALL. Don't sulk. CALL.

Oh yeah. However, I stand by everything else that I wrote. The reservation was made. Getting the price drop should not have affected it.

We just had a price drop on a January Liberty cruise but to get the price drop Royal said we had to give up the $35 C & A coupon that had already been applied to the booking.

Are you saying that should not be the case?

This is what our TA wrote: "I noticed there was a weekend special showing for the Liberty sailing at a rate of $304 and your current rate is $350. I called to have Royal change the rate however the weekend special is considered a promotional rate and is not combinable with the $35 savings certificate. So I had them remove the $35 savings so you could save $92 on the rate. So you will net a $57 savings so along with the above charges you will see a credit for the $57 and that is reflected on my confirmation."

We just had a price drop on a January Liberty cruise but to get the price drop Royal said we had to give up the $35 C & A coupon that had already been applied to the booking.

This is what our TA wrote: "I noticed there was a weekend special showing for the Liberty sailing at a rate of $304 and your current rate is $350. I called to have Royal change the rate however the weekend special is considered a promotional rate and is not combinable with the $35 savings certificate. So I had them remove the $35 savings so you could save $92 on the rate. So you will net a $57 savings so along with the above charges you will see a credit for the $57 and that is reflected on my confirmation."

I would say that your situation is different.

That is the kind of promotion that often is for new bookings only. There are lots of restrictions on it. The TA acted in your best interest, by taking the best deal. RC could have refused you the new price entirely.

It sounds like you got some sort of promotional rate and not a "run of the mill" price drop. That might be why your C&A certificate was not combinable with the new rate that you got.

I would say that your situation is different.

That is the kind of promotion that often is for new bookings only. There are lots of restrictions on it. The TA acted in your best interest, by taking the best deal. RC could have refused you the new price entirely.

It sounds like you got some sort of promotional rate and not a "run of the mill" price drop. That might be why your C&A certificate was not combinable with the new rate that you got.

Thank you both. I guess at $304 for a 5 night Liberty cruise and some nice extras from the TA I shouldn't be complaining about losing $35 and/or looking for a lower a price but I just don't seem to be able to help myself!

Thank you both. I guess at $304 for a 5 night Liberty cruise and some nice extras from the TA I shouldn't be complaining about losing $35 and/or looking for a lower a price but I just don't seem to be able to help myself!

Holy guacamole! What date????