Filipino Crew

LMaxwell

In the wake of devastation of Typhoon Haiyan, and news seemingly getting worse by the hour, I hope the Filipino crews who have been so friendly and worked so hard for us to enjoy our leisure time are able to reach their families, friends, and loved ones.

I am sure this is a very difficult time for them and yet they will maintain the friendly attitude and strong work ethic they have always displayed. The safety of all in the region are in my thoughts.

I wonder if RCI will be taking up donations to help crew member families? If so I would participate. Barring that I will look into established aid organizations. It does not matter what cruise line really; the fact is the Filipino people are universally gracious and friendly and deserving of our support at this time.

The next time you are on a cruise take a moment to recognize the hard working crews.

In the wake of devastation of Typhoon Haiyan, and news seemingly getting worse by the hour, I hope the Filipino crews who have been so friendly and worked so hard for us to enjoy our leisure time are able to reach their families, friends, and loved ones.

I am sure this is a very difficult time for them and yet they will maintain the friendly attitude and strong work ethic they have always displayed. The safety of all in the region are in my thoughts.

I wonder if RCI will be taking up donations to help crew member families? If so I would participate. Barring that I will look into established aid organizations. It does not matter what cruise line really; the fact is the Filipino people are universally gracious and friendly and deserving of our support at this time.

The next time you are on a cruise take a moment to recognize the hard working crews.

Very thoughtful indeed.

As for donations larger organizations such as Red Cross would most likely be able to direct the funds much quicker than RC. One less layer of hands in the way. RCI also can't give tax receipts where as there are numerous qualified organizations are qualified to do both aspects of the above. That being said if RC has a donation box out next week on our Oasis sailing you bet I will be using it.

It would be great to see RC and other cruise lines make big corporate donations, as a large amount of their crew come from the typhoon effected area. It might help to boost the moral of their crew members that can't get home to help in this time of need. Since our family can't help with the actual clean-up, the best way we will help is by donating here at home. As with any disaster my thoughts and prayers are with those effected in these difficult times.

Andrew

Edited by A&L_Ont

I don't think anyone has been able to make much contact. One of the attorneys in my office has close family there but as of yesterday she wasn't able to make contact with anyone. I agree with making donations to a charity working directly with the tragedy. Can't expect the cruiseline to get involved.

...And the best thing to donate would be cash. An example of a bad donation would be cases of bottled water. It costs more to get the water to the destination than it would be to produce it at the location.

This happened during the Haiti earthquakes a few years ago here in New England. There were people collecting bottled water in an attempt to send it to Haiti. The issue was that non of the aid agencies will accept items like this because of the logistics of getting the product there.

We were just off oasis yesterday, and yes the crew is very worried. Was easy to see on their faces.

Thoughts and prayers with all of them......

I agree. I gently asked some I'd gotten to know and their families weren't in the worst hit areas, but others you could tell....

Sounds like things are not getting any better.

I am sure a lot of the crew are not able to get in touch with family.

Not just because of injury, but the communication systems are down too.

Thoughts and prayers to all of them.

Glad there are so many relief agencies ready to go at a moments notice - they are starting to arrive now!

Their timber frame structures could not withstand this type of storm!

We were just off oasis yesterday, and yes the crew is very worried. Was easy to see on their faces.

Thoughts and prayers with all of them......

That's got to be an awful feeling to not know. :(. Sorta puts some of the complaints on this board, like a ship cutting an hour from a port, into perspective.

I agree. I have a good friend here in MO, whose girlfriend lives in Tacloban, Leyte. He still has not heard from her since prior to the typhoon. It's heartbreaking to see his worry. Communications are down in that area and they aren't expected to be back up for the next 4-5 days, apparently. It is difficult to look at the pictures from the town where they are reporting approx. 10000 perished. Makes me wonder how there are pictures to see online yet no way to communicate there.

I can only imagine the worry of the many crew members. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

I agree. I have a good friend here in MO, whose girlfriend lives in Tacloban, Leyte. He still has not heard from her since prior to the typhoon. It's heartbreaking to see his worry. Communications are down in that area and they aren't expected to be back up for the next 4-5 days, apparently. It is difficult to look at the pictures from the town where they are reporting approx. 10000 perished. Makes me wonder how there are pictures to see online yet no way to communicate there.

I can only imagine the worry of the many crew members. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

So thinking of the crews from the Phillipines - met quite a few onboard Allure - a very happy and resilient people. My daughter in law is from the Phillipines so have them all so very much in my thoughts!

I know that when we were on board during the marathon bombings, it was awful. Luckily communications were working, even if people were in lockdown, we knew our loved ones were ok. The hard part about this is the infrastructure is destroyed, so theres not even a way to know if everyone is ok.

I know while we were on board and I went to activate our free internet coupons precisely to check in with loved ones because of the bombings, I was immediately offered free phone calls. I am sure that anyone with loved ones possibly affected would be offered a similar courtesy; after all these are their employees, people that the captain and his staff know and care for; I have to imagine they can't be so heartless as to not support them during this awful tragedy.

... we were told last evening that RCI had scheduled a meeting (to take place today) with the crew concerning the logistics of getting folks where they needed to be (i.e. back home, in touch with family, covering staffing, etc.)

Great to read!

Kudos Way to go RCCL.

• 1 month later...

I just read a great book about a fictional art heist at sea and I saw that the author is donating to Mercy Ships which sails around the world to help countries in need. Im sure they came to the aid of the Philippines. It was also a great look into life on a cruise ship and the main character is from the Philippines. Great read for crew and passengers alike. Its called Cruise Ship Capers by Joshua Kinser.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cruise-Ship-Capers-Heist-ebook/dp/B00H6TI79O

I was on the Navigator TA November 10 and one member of the crew was put ashore in our first port of Cadiz to be flown home. he was from the area badly hit. Apparently all the rest of the Filipino crew had been in touch with their families or came from another part of the Philippines. RCL then had a voluntary donation sheet handed out to all cabins for those who wanted to donate.