The best place to eat lunch after embarkation

Sage

I totally agree! Just know that some staff members will say you have to go to the buffet. If you can get to your cabin to check the "patter" look on there and it will tell you which dining room is open for lunch. It's one of those best kept secrets. The dining room will not be crowded and it's a wonderfully relaxing way to start your cruise!

Yes, for the Main Dinning Room. However, you must arrange things so you will be in the early boarding group because the MDR is open from 12:00 to 1:15.

On our last Cruise on the Golden Princess, out of San Pedro, we stayed in the Crown Plaza Hotel less then a mile from the Port. The Hotel bus started loading at 10:00 and we were in the first group.

We were issued Priority 1. Hooray. Then the boarding call started. Privileged and Elite Group A board now. Good, we should go next, Right? Then Group B-C-D-E. Hmm, stated to worry about making lunch in the MDR.

Then priority group 1. We hurried to our Cabin, checked the Platter for the open MDR and just made it before they closed the doors.

The International Cafe is my backup plan for when we get on board the ship after the dining room has closed. When we sailed on the Sapphire from Whittier, we had to eat there because our bus was delayed at the tunnel.

It's been a few years since the staff members tried to direct us away from the dining room to the buffet. I guess on some ships they still do that.

If you have never had the MDR luncheon on embarkation day, then by all means, find out which MDR is serving it and go there. But the menu there can get a bit "been-there-done-that" for folks who cruise often. To combat the palate boredom, Alfredo's is a great option for ships that have it. On our most recent cruise, we did that and really enjoyed the people watching in the Piazza on boarding day. And to the credit of the staff there, when asked what other venues were available for lunch, they offered up the MDR without hesitation. And of course they mentioned the buffet as well. But they made no secret of the fact that the MDR was open. This level of honesty and disclosure is not always the case.

There are several really good options on the Grand Princess. Each of these are dependent on your dining room assignment and the time you plan to have dinner. In order to give you a well though out answer, perhaps you could fill us in on some more details. :)

Edited by nhcruiser

While on the subject of food, perhaps someone can recommend a good place to have drinks before dinner. We have so much exploring to do, and we are very excited.

Grand Princess?

Crooner's Martini bar is very popular in the atrium on Deck 7. Ask for the nut bar mix. There is usually some live music playing on deck 5 that you can hear. Normally, piano or classical. The Wheelhouse Bar on deck 7 is also nice. They also have sets of live soft music and ballroom dancing. Depends on what time you are there. Vines Wine bar on deck 5 in the Piazza, you can order wine or other types of drinks. Free sushi & tapas served with the drinks.

Music times and locations are listed in The Princess Patter.

If you can get to the main dining rom in time - usually the Da Vinci on deck 6, mid-ship - the salmon is the best that they serve on the whole cruise. And, as I recall, they have a soufflé for dessert.

Hey Nancy, maybe I'll see you there soon! We're hoping to get on the ship in time to eat in the MDR for lunch. Yes, there is a souflle for dessert - a really yummy orange souffle with a warm sauce, gotta save room for dessert that day! :D

I totally agree! Just know that some staff members will say you have to go to the buffet. If you can get to your cabin to check the "patter" look on there and it will tell you which dining room is open for lunch. It's one of those best kept secrets. The dining room will not be crowded and it's a wonderfully relaxing way to start your cruise!

It is no longer very "secret".lately it has become more and more popular.

It is no longer very "secret". Lately it has become more and more popular.

Hey Nancy, maybe I'll see you there soon! We're hoping to get on the ship in time to eat in the MDR for lunch. Yes, there is a souflle for dessert - a really yummy orange souffle with a warm sauce, gotta save room for dessert that day! :D

I do hope we see you there on Monday. I'm one of those fluffy old women with a 3-wheeled red walker. Fortunately dh is pretty normal, so we get by. :D