winter cruise question

Kamlhj

Hello all! I am planning my 6th cruise but 1st winter one in late January.

My question is, what are winter cruises like - do the activities occur on the top deck under some kind of weather shield or on a lower deck, while in the ship, can you wear summer clothes or is that only when you get far enough south, are any pools open, are several changes of clothes needed for each temperature condition?

This is a round trip from Baltimore to the Bahamas. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

first 48 and last 48 hours will be cold with little opportunity to enjoy the pool decks at all. the Bay can be choppy with lots of people getting seasick.

Which ship? GR won't have anything other than the usual activities. Best you can hope for is the Solarium will allow kids for a few hours a day if the weather is otherwise unsuited to swim on the main deck. the pool is SMALL in the Solarium.

you will need to pack for a Baltimore winter & hope that it warms up enough for shorts later. I was in Nassau on Christmas and I was comfortable in khakis. pack a shovel in the car. just in case....;)

If the pool is not enclosed or heated it will likely be too cold for swimming much of the time (at least going to the Bahamas and coming back). If you are planning to go to the beach in the Bahamas you may find that water to chilly for your liking.

I would suggest bringing clothes you can layer depending on the weather instead of two different wardrobes.

We had the first 2 days cold, in coats etc

by mid afternoon on the 2nd day we were able to put on our shorts and sit round the pool in a light jacket

By the third day it was nice and warm - we still needed to take a light jacket off ship with us

We did however find the water cool but it didn't put people off getting in

Guess we were just lucky......both cruises we have taken to the Bahamas in January we were in shorts as the temps were in the low to mid 80's. I know that can change quickly, but that nice warm sun sure did feel good!

Water temp was too cold for swimming but we didn't care. It was definately a nice break for the winter blues.....;)

We were on the Carnival Pride twice in January - Baltimore to Bahamas and back.

The other posters were correct - chilly first day and last day. Both cruises, Port Canaveral and the Bahamas were in the low-mid 70s. We did the Disney excursion and went layered as it was chilly when we left Port Canaveral at 7:30 A.M. However, the day was gorgeous in Disney - just warm enough to take off the sweater.

Bahamas - ocean water is really really cold. My husband likes the water cooler than I do and he couldn't go in past his toes! However, Nassau and Freeport - weather was in the 70s and gorgeous.

The Pride's main pool area has a retractable roof so the pool was usable on the cold days. However, the adult only area does not have the roof so it was chilly. We were able to use the pool while in the Bahamas.

Weather wise - Grandeur will have the same issues as the Pride; however, I do not know if any pools are under a roof.

My son just came back from a Nov. Baltimore dept. cruise.....chilly the 1st day leaving (and rough!) and the last day heading home. They stopped in the Bahamas and Grand Turk....said GT was HOT.....90's with humidity.

You should bring lightweight, cooler weather clothes that you can layer on the 1st and last day. Bring shorts, too....it could be quite warm once you get to your destination....pack for cool and hot weather.

You won't need winter coats or gloves.....even if it's chilly, it won't be COLD!!! And, though the water may be too cool for comfort, the sun should be fine for sunbathing!!! Pack a swimsuit, too...doesn't take up much space!

Edited by cb at sea

W

Weather wise - Grandeur will have the same issues as the Pride; however, I do not know if any pools are under a roof.

only one.. the Adult pool in the Solarium. However when it is very cool( or crappy like rain) they will allow children for a couple of hours twice a ay.

• 2 weeks later...

And you could experience "not so normal" weather. We've sailed out of NY/NJ many times and on some sailings we were on deck and in the pool both the first and last day of the cruise and it was milder and smoother then when further south. We've been in the Bahamas in Feb when we were "lucky" to have the temp in the low 70's. Both scenarios not normal, but possible. Just prior to your leaving, check out the extended forecast on line for where your going and leaving from as well as some cities along the southern US east coast. It will at least give you a "Ball park" of what to expect the temps along the way to be.