Why would Diamond+ or Pinnacle want to cruise on Celebrity?

djjoe

A few years back Elite beat out Diamond in the perks dept. Now that we are D+ I have no desire to cruise X under their new point system. D+ is great, actually the D lounge on upgraded ships is also very good. It actually goes both ways. Why would a X cruiser at the E+ or Z level want to cruise on RC, where he is downgraded to Diamond. With the E+ and Z levels you would think they would recognize the higher levels both ways and not cap it at Diamond and Elite. I think that RCCL should maybe think this one over, It's the same company.

A few years back Elite beat out Diamond in the perks dept. Now that we are D+ I have no desire to cruise X under their new point system. D+ is great, actually the D lounge on upgraded ships is also very good. It actually goes both ways. Why would a X cruiser at the E+ or Z level want to cruise on RC, where he is downgraded to Diamond. With the E+ and Z levels you would think they would recognize the higher levels both ways and not cap it at Diamond and Elite. I think that RCCL should maybe think this one over, It's the same company.

Maybe for the itinerary, ship, ports and atmosphere? Not to mention Celebrity offers some amazing benefits when they run their 123 Go promotion.

Loyalty programs are a nice benefit but certainly not the only reason to cruise!

I suspect that the 2 divisions will need to get together and agree to reciprocial levels between the 2 programs. Lets not ask them do too much at one time.

Besides , we have yet to see what C&A changes will have coming shortly, just to throw that into the mix.

It looks to me that new Elite + gets little more than Elite on Celebrity. They have lots more free internet (200 v 90 minutes) -- otherwise there isn't a substantial difference (to us)

D+ seems much nicer, especially where there is no Diamond Lounge.

Maybe for the itinerary, ship, ports and atmosphere? Not to mention Celebrity offers some amazing benefits when they run their 123 Go promotion.

Loyalty programs are a nice benefit but certainly not the only reason to cruise!

Couldn't agree more, while loyalty programs are nice they are not the reason we cruise. Itinerary is the first thing we look at in a cruise.

One of our favorite cruises was on the old HAL Noordam. She was a small ship that was old and was well past her prime, but we had great service and a perfect itinerary. It was a repositioning cruise from Rome to Copenhagen. Stopped in Italy, Monaco, Spain, Gibraltar, Portugal, France, England, Netherlands, Norway and Denmark.

I would hate to limit my cruising options because of a loyalty program.

I believe your confusion is caused by thinking that the only reason to cruise is to get points, or to take advantage of loyalty benefits. If you let go of this misconception, then I think your questions will be cleared up.

Because to some of us, points and the loyalty program aren't the focus of our vacations.

Agreed!!!

It's a shame that some have lost the interest in traveling and seeing the world. Which is exactly what cruising gives you. Options of seeing many places in certain parts of the world where all can find a category that suits your budget.

I was really hoping Celebrity would recognize D+ as Elite + and let us into Michael's club and then they probably would have won me over completely and I'd sail them more; but alas it didn't happen.

I prefer Celebrity food. Tastes fresher and is yummier. Some of their itineraries and dates are way better (was for our British Isles). I do enjoy their concierge and aqua suites. I like that there are WAY less announcements. I feel I'm not paying for things I don't use (zip lines, wall climbing, mini golf, ice skating (although enjoy the ice skating shows) - well you know what I mean). Lots on Royal ships I don't use.

On Celebrity Infinity, they gave anyone who wanted a galley tour for FREE. Royal charges something like $140 or so.

As a Royal D+ I didn't like Celebrity's evening social. I have always enjoyed the D or CL intimacy feel on Royal and their hors d'oeuvres.

If they had given us Elite+ , I may have booked my South Pacific cruise with them. I still may, have to look at the dates. I'll probably still sail with whomever I want to. The benefit from both programs are nice.

All in all, its nice we have reciprocal exchange regardless and do get some benefits.

Edited by Trekker954

What on board does perks do Carnvial Corp allow between lines? None that I know of. It's the same company. It's nice to see that RCCL does.

I am a long time RCI cruiser who tried X this year and actually prefer X over RCI now. I don't cruise for the perks that one is given on a cruise line. Yes they are nice but this is not something that the cruise lines has to give. Some people on the X board are having a bad day over the changes. Did not know that cutting back on free alcohol was going to cause such heartache. :rolleyes:

Even though the new program caps me at Elite and I will have to earn my higher status with additonal cruises, I'm glad that cruise lines decided to share the perks but cap it off at a certain point.

Edited by cruisingator2

Both lines have great loyalty programs, but I give X's Elite a slight edge over RC's D+. I'm, for right now, not considering balcony discount - onboard benes only.

I think the E breakfast is better on most ships - love those bloodys!, and also enjoy the evening event a bit more with the slightly expanded menu, roving snacks, officer visits.

As a D+, wouldn't hesitate to book on X, and except for more internet, I don't see much on the E+ list that thrills me anyway.

We stick to RC because they offer many more ships to chose from, in other words more choices. And we have one from the notheast that we can sail year round without flying. We started cruising on Celebrity and have Elite status as a result, but booked a Navigtor cruise and I was so wowed by that class that we stayed on RC.

We were scheduled on Reflection last year, but a medical issue came up and we had to cancel. So we have not written off Celebrity, but I still like the RC ships better.

And we did try a TA on Carnival just see what it was like, but have no plans on going back. They just cannot compare to a RC ship.

We have done 4 Celebrity cruises, last one October 2010, we were able to sample cruising as an Elite guest.

On X we didn't receive any gifts in the cabin whereas on RCI we can choose 3 and opt to have 3 bottles of wine delivered to the dining room or stateroom on cruises 7 nights or more.

That is a nice RCI perk:).

Why not?

We have nearly 500 RCCL points and still sail Celebrity once or twice each year. It is a different product, different passenger mix, more options for longer (14 night) cruises, different entertainment, different food, different activities, etc. For our longer, more expensive type cruises, we now generally consider Celebrity first. And this year the icing on the cake is for New Year’s Eve cruise we are sailing a balcony on Celebrity for New Year’s eve week and the week after ( 14 night cruise) for LESS than New Year’s eve week ( 7 night cruise) on either the Freedom or Allure ( even considering the D+ discount)

The reciprocal to each line is good and I and not point chasing to get to Pinnacle.

So perhaps the real question is not Why Try Celebrity, but Why Not Try Celebrity (or Azamara) ?

M

Bingo! Sorry for those who are so wrapped up in a loyalty program that nothing else is of interest to them.

Why so judgmental?

For the vast majority of us who are D+, it's a combination of the loyalty program and the joys of cruising in general. My educated guess is also that the loyalty program is much more important to those with advanced status than newbies. One has to ask if there's a bit of jealousy in the critcism leveled!

As far as the new Celebrity program, I really don't care that I'm not given a higher level than Elite. The benefits there are fine!

I was really hoping Celebrity would recognize D+ as Elite + and let us into Michael's club and then they probably would have won me over completely and I'd sail them more; but alas it didn't happen.
I haven't seen the "official" listing of the new benefits but I don't believe that Elite+ will be invited to Michael's Club. I think that's probably going to be for Zenith and certain categories of suite passengers. I hope you're right because we're Elite+ with the conversion. We were selected to go to Michael's club on the Infinity this past August. Infinity was the test of Michael's club for what they called VIPs. We were selected because we were one of the most frequent cruisers. It was very nice and we got spoiled however we had an idea that this would probably be our one and only time there. Like never reaching Pinnacle, we'll never get to Zenith. Edited by CruisinNole

I would imagine that the reason the lines offer reciprocity at all, is to encourage loyal cruisers to stick with a "family brand" even if they are looking at another line because they are ready for a change of some sort (because, at the end of the day, the program exists to keep revenue streaming into the company).

There is no need to entice people 100% onto the other line--if a top tier cruiser is only interested in the perks, then sure they can stay with the line they have earned the top tier on. In either case, the company is getting their $$.

However, if a loyal Celebrity cruiser is looking for something more geared towards kids when they take their grandchildren on vacation, the reciprocity might be what pushes that person towards staying with the brand and sailing RCI rather than jumping over to Disney for that sailing.

Or, vice versa--when a loyal RCI cruises's teens head of to college and they want a little more upscale feel on their first empty nesters cruise, maybe those reciprocal perks will push them into staying with the brand, on Celebrity, instead of moving to Princess. Etc.

I actually think it is a pretty good system--enough incentive to stick with the company overall if you are looking for something different but still holds the highest recognition only for those trluy loyal to the specific line.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Why go on Celebrity?

Hmmm. let's see...

Solstice Class Ships w/ over sized sunset bar, string quartet w/ wine & cheese on the lawn club at actual sunset, or try out some bocci ball against the officers, change ups in itineraries and brew selection at Micheal's Club- and that was on Infinity. Aquaclass = Blu, Blu and more Blu- and that's why the secret is out of the bag and Aqua prices are going way up against balconies.

Oh and did I mention Solstice class ships.. try one.. big ship w/ lots of nooks and crannies.. still feel like on your own super yacht sometimes sitting in those over sized comfortable loungers.

I'm not one these days that requires an ice rink or wave machine at sea or a big outlandish show production, so the various live music offerings on Celebrity work for me (anyone see Dave Cameron or how about Will Foraker?).

This is of course just one cruise junkie's opinion who drank the kool-aid a long, long time ago and still loves it even after saying would never go on a "big" ship again - and that was back when pax count started climbing to 2k.

For those fortunate enough to afford the extra cost after spending $2k - $3k pp to start on cruise and airfare, I say just upgrade to the all inclusive vacation experience at sea and buy one of those high end drink pkgs and make all this extra drink or 2 discussion a moot point and focus on what's really important - making the boss aka the wife happy.. (insert cheesy comment here). Oh.. and just wait til Friday for the 1-2-3 deal... now, that's when the rest of us can get the pkg deal.. check out price on Wed and see if rises to make up for freebies.

FlaFan, A Diamond on RCL going back to Nordic Prince & Elite on Celebrity going back to Horizon or Zenith - don't recall which (finally earned since last sailing - no longer reciprocated only)

Interesting thread we have not sailed on a RCL cruise since becoming diamond, we have cruised on X and on Azamara where they reconized our RCL status what other cruise lines does that? can anyone here name one?

To us perks are just an added bonus and now we just enjoy it all from the ship, the itinerary and the onboard experience. It can be RCL, X or Azamara makes no difference to us.