pizza lovers

boca7

Can you explain what you mean? Did they change their dough formula? Did they change their ovens? What ship? Are you speaking about the pizza at the Lido, Alfredos or both? There could be a difference at Alfredo's, as they advertise this as "gourmet" pizza. The change might be on purpose in Alfredo's, not as a money saver, but to offer a different taste.

Sorry, I didn`t explain enough, I sailed on the Royal & the pizza on the Lido deck was not the same to my taste. The topping is the same & is excellent but the dough is not. On questioning employees of authority(whom I won`t disclose), the ovens are different from the other ships. But I seem to be in the minority and am glad you all like it. At least now the lines are not long.

The pizza on the Coral in September was the same as the pizza we got on the Sapphire last year. Didn't notice any difference. Haven't tried Alfredo's. The pizza for room service is similar to the lido deck pizza although it's a smaller pie and the crust is thicker. Still same great flavor though.

We were on the Coral in July & the Lido deck pizzeria had 'make your own' pizza. During lunchtime on the 1st & last full days onboard (at sea) we could get the individual size pizza with just about every topping imaginable. We told them what toppings we wanted & in about 5 minutes had a pipping hot pizza. :D

I asked if it would go fleetwide & they said it was only on the Coral & Island because on larger ships with more passengers it would get too crowded. It was listed in the pizzeria's hours in the Patter however many I talked to didn't notice this great option.

A room service/Alfredo's size pizza with a vast selection of toppings from the Lido deck pizzeria was another great thing we enjoyed on the Coral. :D

I am idly wondering if the "smaller yet thicker" room service pizza pie is the same crust as Lido pizzeria's, but just not stretched out as many times.

I think I'll get both, this next cruise on the CB.

Question. If I order a few pizzas from Room Service to take as munchies for our M&G group, will that be frowned upon? Yes I am actively promoting "ordering bar drinks" and just want a bit of food for the party... Without springing for the $20 or whatever hors d'oeuvres platters. :confused:

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I am idly wondering if the "smaller yet thicker" room service pizza pie is the same crust as Lido pizzeria's, but just not stretched out as many times.

Room service pizza appears to be like the Coral's Lido pizzeria's 'make your own' pizza only with fewer toppings available. Those pizzas had smaller balls of dough to make individual pizzas & crust did appear to be slightly thicker. Although part of that perception may have to do with the smaller size & thus a higher percentage of crust when compared to a big slice of NY-style pizza.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I didn't think there was such a thing as 'bad' pizza. I just thought some were better than others..... ;)

You only say that because you have never had that stuff that masquerades as pizza on Holland America Ships. It is enough to make me want to be back on a Princess vessel :)

Hank:p

You only say that because you have never had that stuff that masquerades as pizza on Holland America Ships. It is enough to make me want to be back on a Princess vessel :)

Hank:p

On RCI's Navigator OTS earlier this year the pizza they had at their version of the IC was worse than a frozen pizza. :eek: ;)

The pizza last year on Ruby Princess at Prego's was pretty abysmal. :(

For me if it's fresh & hot it's tasty but not after sitting under a heating lamp for too long. That's one of the reasons I prefer the freshly baked pizzas at Alfredo's Pizzeria.

You must be very close to your Royal cruises...soon it will be Buon Viaggio! :D

For me if it's fresh & hot it's tasty but not after sitting under a heating lamp for too long. That's one of the reasons I prefer the freshly baked pizzas at Alfredo's Pizzeria.

You must be very close to your Royal cruises...soon it will be Buon Viaggio! :D

I'm overnighting at the Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Airport before flying down to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow. Really looking forward to Alfredo's on Royal Princess after hearing so many wonderful comments. :D

I'm overnighting at the Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Airport before flying down to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow. Really looking forward to Alfredo's on Royal Princess after hearing so many wonderful comments. :D

Hopefully your overall experience will be enjoyable like many of us who have sailed on the Royal. :)

With the expanded Alfredo's menu it was busier than Alfredo's on the Sapphire. Although the Royal's Alfredo's is also larger & even midday crowds only meant about a 5 minute wait to get a seat. They don't have butter for the bread because they have olive oil which I prefer. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was also on the Royal last month for the T/A. The pizza on the Lido and in Alfredo's was great. If Princess is going to change, or already has changed the pizza ingredients to save $$$ it wouldn't surprise me. What absolutely surprises me is the fact that a great place like Alfredo's is still free.....

Bob

Nothing on your cruise is free.

I started this thread in hope that Princess will realize that if you have a great product you don`t mess with it. The pizza which was always rated the best of any cruise line has decided to change the ovens & the product has suffered. They now produce a dough the same as what you get at Carnival. The topping is still very good but congratulations to Princess you are saving a few dollars.

The new pizza I've had on Carnival is superior to what was on Golden. Carnival's new crust is similar to what you get in Naples! :)

On RCI's Navigator OTS earlier this year the pizza they had at their version of the IC was worse than a frozen pizza. :eek: ;)

Frozen pizza would be an improvement over what they have on HAL. My bad! We are 4 Star Mariners on HAL, do like the cruise line, but have learned to avoid their pizza like the plague.

Hank

Be sure to order the antipasto, it was a nice addition. I also would recommend for the Royal a new addition to Princess is the Winemakers dinner, for $40 per person a dining experience you will never forget.

So room service pizza is $3 or $3.50? And the fee covers as many pizzas as you want or it's per pizza?

Not sure but think it covers as many as you want. We were told the reason for the charge is that people/kids would order the pizza as a joke and not be there when it was delivered or gave a different room number:confused:

Not sure but think it covers as many as you want. We were told the reason for the charge is that people/kids would order the pizza as a joke and not be there when it was delivered or gave a different room number:confused:

We ordered 2 pizzas on the Sapphire and were just charged one price ($3 or $3.50). The price was not per pizza.

Happy2cruise - that would make since if they had delivered pizza with out a fee but Princess when they added "pizza delivery" it started with a fee. It is not like it was abused and then they implemented the fee. IMO - the fee is reasonable and I don't mind paying it.

Be sure to order the antipasto, it was a nice addition. I also would recommend for the Royal a new addition to Princess is the Winemakers dinner, for $40 per person a dining experience you will never forget.

THANKS for the Alfredo's recommendation! Will give it a try. :D

Does any of the room service delivery charge go to the person delivering the pizza(s)? If not, I would tip as usual. If so, I would adjust the amount of the tip.

Is this like buying a drink a the bar where 15% is automagically added?

Delivery fee was $3 last time I ordered one, but that was over a year ago and it could have changed.

Personally, I think pizza may vary ship to ship depending on who is making it. Some days it's better than other days. It's subjective. I only tried Alfredo's once on the Sapphire and was disappointed. I've never been really disappointed in the Lido pizza places.

Frozen pizza would be an improvement over what they have on HAL. My bad! We are 4 Star Mariners on HAL, do like the cruise line, but have learned to avoid their pizza like the plague.
Same here. I'm a 3-star on HAL and also avoid their pizza. It's not just bad, it's awful. I don't care if it's thin- or thick-crusted... I'm not too picky but HALs pizza was like warmed-up frozen pizza -- totally tasteless and a strange consistency.