Why such different opinions!?!? Reviews?!?!

PixieLegal

Why are Cruise reviews so all over the map? I just got a job in the cruise industry and have started cruising myself. The options seem endless and the reviews are the same way! Some love NCL some do not. I have many tell me they will never sail Carnival ever. Others do not mind. For others RCL is the only way to sail!!! Princess is too old of a crowd....Food is Good Food is not Good! Oh the madness!!! Why is this sooooo, is the industry really so diverse? Or is it a Coke and Pepsi thing? You like what you like?

Because people seek different things in a cruise, on a vacation, in life. So their opinions are different. Ever heard people swear Ford is better, while others are sure it's Chevy?

When people come on here and want to know what the "best" this or the "best" that is, most just don't understand that if you asked 100 people what the best Xyxy is, they will get 110 different answers. None will be wrong, all will be right for the person that gave that opinion. And the person asking the question is the only one who knows what is right for that person. Rarely do two people look at the world exactly the same way.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Why are Cruise reviews so all over the map? I just got a job in the cruise industry and have started cruising myself. The options seem endless and the reviews are the same way! Some love NCL some do not. I have many tell me they will never sail Carnival ever. Others do not mind. For others RCL is the only way to sail!!! Princess is too old of a crowd....Food is Good Food is not Good! Oh the madness!!! Why is this sooooo, is the industry really so diverse? Or is it a Coke and Pepsi thing? You like what you like?

Lucky you to have more opportunities to cruise:)

I agree with the above. Look at all the variables (ship size, passenger to crew ratio, passenger to space ratio, food -- which is so subjective, activiites and entertainment -- which is also subjective; all inclusive or not; the list goes on). Not to mention different itineraries: some prefer to sail out of the port nearest to their home each time, others don't want to repeat an itinerary. There's a major difference among Crystal vs. NCL vs. Holland.

And you can even get varying views from several passengers who were on the same sailing.

Not only is the industry VERY diverse, and not only are people very diverse, but some people like to whine and complain about everything and other people can find a silver lining in any experience.

I was on a cruise where the seas were a bit rough for two days. Someone posted a review of the ship, down grading it because of the weather. HUH??? That's not the ship's fault.

And while it was rough enough that the captain suggested women NOT wear high heels on formal night, DH and I thought it was fun. Other people we met were miserable.

Three cheers for differences!

Everything is subjective...cruise reviews are the proof.

LOL! I have seen that too! The one we were just on was rough we had weather issues & crowd issues. Neither the cruise lines fault, but still made our trip difficult. One of the funniest reviews I have seen was about the service of a particular sailing. One said it was the best ever thee other the worst. You never know till you go yourself.

Just like everything in life, we have choice.

We have a bazillion options for everything we do: malls, cars, foods, homes, schools, hairstyles, even my dentist has about 8 different flavours of fluoride!

It only makes sense that we have many different vacation and cruise options.

It surprises and somewhat confuses me that you are so shocked. :confused:

I am not so much shocked/surprised about the multiple options. I am more surprised about the diverse opinions of cruising. I would think there would be more consistency among reviews. Usually if something is good its good across the board. Not good for some and not good for others. This is what makes everything interesting though, it makes for great convo.

I only look for trends in reviews, the majority view. Yes, it is all subjective, but some subjective perspectives are just neurotic, fixated on minor matters. I would not pan any line or cruise I have been on, and all have been more similar than not. For each, you could find reviews describing a horrible experience by the reviewer. For cruises and for the main lines, I place very little value in reviews, but search for helpful information for logistics, such as pre cruise or post cruise hotel stays, transportation, excursions, etc.

I am not so much shocked/surprised about the multiple options. I am more surprised about the diverse opinions of cruising. I would think there would be more consistency among reviews. Usually if something is good its good across the board. Not good for some and not good for others. This is what makes everything interesting though, it makes for great convo.

It's just human nature. You can take 10 people, seat them at the same table, serve them the exact same food, and some will rave about the food and others will say it's the worst food they've ever eaten. It's the same with restaurants. Some think that Olive Garden is gourmet while others will only dine at Michelin star establishments. It's all just individual taste and perception.

Congratulations on getting the job, PixieLegal! You are about to learn a lot about cruising and the complexities of the hospitality industry. If you are wise and observant, you are about to learn even more about the complexities of human nature.

What a great opportunity.

As you know, most cruise lines are now owned by Carnival Corp. Each line is different for different tastes. People who love to cruise will move between lines to find the one that fits them. They lock in and keep comming back to that line. After 25 plus cruises, we have chosen Princess for our likes. We have cruised 5 lines before we made our choice, however, Carnival Corp. still has our money. lol :cool:

As you know, most cruise lines are now owned by Carnival Corp. Each line is different for different tastes. People who love to cruise will move between lines to find the one that fits them. They lock in and keep comming back to that line. After 25 plus cruises, we have chosen Princess for our likes. We have cruised 5 lines before we made our choice, however, Carnival Corp. still has our money. lol :cool:

Most? Nope.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

In addition to what has been stated already, you will also find people who would never consider taking a cruise whatsoever. A week ago, I was purchasing something for my upcoming cruise, and the store clerk stated that she would never go on a cruise--she couldn't swim! I didn't ask if she was thinking of Caribbean islands or the Titanic.......

Pixielegal,

I remember my father in law (both he and my wife have passed away) who despite an exceedingly good life, was miserable about everything. This man had it all, and all he did was complain about this or that not being right. It wasn't just his age because I knew him from the time he was about 57 or so.

He never wanted to go on a cruise. His rational was that he had been a Naval officer and had seen enough of the sea.

My point...there are people who will see the glass half full and say I have enough to satisfy my thirst. To others though a half filled glass just isn't good enough. And so it is with a cruise. To some a cruise is ruined if a cabin steward doesn't smile enough. To others this isn't important. What is important is to enjoy the aesthetics of a cruise...sunrises, sunsets and the sheer joy of standing in the wind as a ship heads out to sea.

In addition to what has been stated already, you will also find people who would never consider taking a cruise whatsoever. A week ago, I was purchasing something for my upcoming cruise, and the store clerk stated that she would never go on a cruise--she couldn't swim! I didn't ask if she was thinking of Caribbean islands or the Titanic.......

My mom can't swim, but she was going to go in a cruise with us. Long story short she ended up not going, which worked out for the best as we had terrible weather and she would not have been able to even get to the bathroom with the way the ship was rocking.

My sister, on the other hand, can swim--a former lifeguard. Her children are all fish. She has a paralyzingly fear of boats though, and won't cruise. :::shrug:::

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...