One night pre-cruise - embarking from Civitavecchia

lovestx

It looks like we (family of 4) will be arriving at FCO the morning of 6/9/14 and departing from Civitavecchia on Celebrity on 6/10/14. Am thinking it may not be worth the money to go into Rome to stay for just one, very tired night. We were in Rome in June 2012 and did the main tourist sites.

Looking for opinions here: should we just bite the $$ bullet and go back into Rome overnight? Or stay near the airport? Civitavecchia? Or I am even considering a spot of two on Lake Bracciano.

Any opinions would be welcomed here. And BTW, we would not train from Rome to the port (had friends who did who had a bad experience).

A little reading on the board would reveal lots of threads on this topic. First, to help get into the current time zone, you want to be up and moving as late as possible on your first day. Rome is very walkable, so staying in the central part of Rome would be wonderful for getting out an about. You also would have some time the next day for some exploring.

Hard to recommend bypassing Rome, one of the most wonderful, historic cities in the world. But there are also threads on staying in Civi, and transportation methods for where ever you stay.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I agree with Bruce, it's a highly personal decision. I've been to Rome more times than I can count on two hands and I still would NEVER pass up a chance to stay there to go to Civitavecchia instead.

Then again, I don't really suffer much jet lag, and I'm not the sort to just "relax" in a hotel room. Civitavecchia, while improved in recent years, isn't really what you think of as a charming place.

Edited by cruisemom42

A little reading on the board would reveal lots of threads on this topic. First, to help get into the current time zone, you want to be up and moving as late as possible on your first day. Rome is very walkable, so staying in the central part of Rome would be wonderful for getting out an about. You also would have some time the next day for some exploring.

Hard to recommend bypassing Rome, one of the most wonderful, historic cities in the world. But there are also threads on staying in Civi, and transportation methods for where ever you stay.

Thanks, Bruce. I did try to look a bit before posting but guess I should have looked some more.

Our "first day" is actually the day we get on the ship. So if we sleep late and are staying in Rome, there's no time to spend in Rome (we will want to board the ship mid-day).

We always stay pre departure ex Civitavecchia at the delightful Hotel Miramare right on the esplanade. A short taxi ride to the port entrance and connecting ships shuttles. Lots of restaurants nearby and within a very short distance of Civitavechia railway station . Book on line direct via hotel website to avoid paying middlemen commissions. Finally in travelling down from Roma Termini by train, select a train that terminates at Civitavecchia to avoid the through trains which use the outer platforms . This saves having to lug your bags up and down steps from the outer platforms through the dreaded "sottopassagio" (Subway) .

If you have never been to Rome I would spend the night in Rome.

Our son and daughter in law are joining us on an extended cruise that we are on for a portion of the cruise. They arrive at the FCO airport the day before the cruise. We are having them stay in Rome because they have never been to Rome. They will have the afternoon there before dinner. While they won't see a lot they will get to visit a couple of places and also be driven around to see places of interest from the car. Then the next day they will go to the port.

If you simply have no interest to see any of this then either stay at the hotel near the airport (Hilton) or head over to the port to stay at the hotel.

If it was me, and I had never been there, I would go into Rome.

Keith

Keith, we were in Rome for a couple of days in June 2012 before our previous Med cruise so feel we've done most of the key tourist sites.

But the more I look into options, I am leaning towards going back to Rome even for a quick trip.

Lake Bracciano looks intriguing as well and would be much less money. Anyone been there?

I agree with Bruce, it's a highly personal decision. I've been to Rome more times than I can count on two hands and I still would NEVER pass up a chance to stay there to go to Civitavecchia instead.

Then again, I don't really suffer much jet lag, and I'm not the sort to just "relax" in a hotel room. Civitavecchia, while improved in recent years, isn't really what you think of as a charming place.

Cynthia, Just wanted to says thanks for all the help you gave me for Rome and Herculaneum. Im ready to go back right now even after spending 4 days in Rome less than a month ago. The location near the Campo Di Fiori was perfect. The more i explored Rome the more i found that i wanted to see. What a great city and i will return. Larry

Edited by softail

Since you've already been to Rome and seen the major sites, I agree that Lake Bracciano certainly looks intriguing, but the transfer costs may make a difference. Civitavecchia is a very small port town, nothing really there except the castle.

We had a car and drove to Lake Maggiore, so I'm not really familiar with Lake Bracciano, but it looks beautiful. A couple of days would be nice, but you will probably only have half of your first day and half of your second day.

Check out the transfer options comparing Civitavecchia and Lake Bracciano. I found this website with lots of info.

http://www.lakebracciano.com/lakebracciano/pub/arrivare_en.html

If the costs are relatively the same, I'd do the Lake. You can always revert to Civitavecchia if the costs are prohibitive.

It looks like we (family of 4) will be arriving at FCO the morning of 6/9/14 and departing from Civitavecchia on Celebrity on 6/10/14. Am thinking it may not be worth the money to go into Rome to stay for just one, very tired night. We were in Rome in June 2012 and did the main tourist sites.

Looking for opinions here: should we just bite the $$ bullet and go back into Rome overnight? Or stay near the airport? Civitavecchia? Or I am even considering a spot of two on Lake Bracciano.

Any opinions would be welcomed here. And BTW, we would not train from Rome to the port (had friends who did who had a bad experience).

We've done this many times before and I recommend staying in Civitavecchia. We like Tentua del'l' Argento. It's a working cattle ranch a couple miles north of town in the hills. The restaurant is excellent. You can cut the beef with a knife. And they have a free shuttle to the ship that starts running at 10am. Awesome views of the port as well. Modestly priced and I'm sure you'd be very happy there for the night.

Shaun

We stayed in Rome last year prior to a cruise and saw all the major sights by staying in Rome a few days prior to the cruise. We are leaving on a different cruise from Civitevecchia this June, and we can't wait to have a less hurried time in Rome to just explore the little streets and shops and to find something new to see. We absolutely fell in love with Rome, and I can't imagine passing up on another opportunity to spend time there.

We stayed in Rome last year prior to a cruise and saw all the major sights by staying in Rome a few days prior to the cruise. We are leaving on a different cruise from Civitevecchia this June, and we can't wait to have a less hurried time in Rome to just explore the little streets and shops and to find something new to see. We absolutely fell in love with Rome, and I can't imagine passing up on another opportunity to spend time there.

Well griffy, different strokes for different folks. I found Rome hot, dusty, dirty & the people just as unfriendly toward Americans as the French. I could care less if I ever go back to the city itself (twice was enough). I much preferred the countryside and smaller villages. The people were much more open and friendly, treating us almost as family rather than tourists.

lovestx - now you have two interesting sounding choices. Lake Bracciano or the working cattle ranch. Boy what a tough decision. Your family now has the fun of determining which suits your likes more.

Have a wonderful trip!

Well griffy, different strokes for different folks. I found Rome hot, dusty, dirty & the people just as unfriendly toward Americans as the French. I could care less if I ever go back to the city itself (twice was enough). I much preferred the countryside and smaller villages. The people were much more open and friendly, treating us almost as family rather than tourists.

lovestx - now you have two interesting sounding choices. Lake Bracciano or the working cattle ranch. Boy what a tough decision. Your family now has the fun of determining which suits your likes more.

Have a wonderful trip!

I am researching similar ideas but in reverse - arriving into Civitavecchia.

Thank you for your opposite view. I am less and less wanting to visit large touristy cities despite their obvious attractions. I have never been to Rome and feel more inclined to say I could quite happily visit Italy and never go to Rome. I've seen such gorgeous Roman ruins in other parts of Europe and the Vatican doesn't do it for me either.

I'm looking to stay in Civitavecchia and getting a tour up to Orvieto, but that doesn't sound so easy because everything is centred on Rome. I'll keep looking though

I'm from Oz....I would strongly encourage you to spend a couple of days in Rome. It really is an interesting city and it is quite amazing to view the Colosseum for the first time. I get what you are saying about the Vatican but there is so much more to Rome than that.

I have always been interested in visiting Orvieto but that will have to wait until a land based trip to Italy.

We will almost certainly go into Rome for the night now. One real attraction over Civitavecchia is that there will be places to wander and see in Rome when one or more of us is awake and others are overcoming jet lag.

I am researching similar ideas but in reverse - arriving into Civitavecchia.

Thank you for your opposite view. I am less and less wanting to visit large touristy cities despite their obvious attractions. I have never been to Rome and feel more inclined to say I could quite happily visit Italy and never go to Rome. I've seen such gorgeous Roman ruins in other parts of Europe and the Vatican doesn't do it for me either.

I'm looking to stay in Civitavecchia and getting a tour up to Orvieto' date=' but that doesn't sound so easy because everything is centred on Rome. I'll keep looking though[/quote']

If you want to go to Orvieto, it's an extremely easy trip to do by yourself!!! Just rent a car and go. There is nothing there that you can't see without the "benefit" of a guide.

Also - to put in my $.10 (inflation from $.02): Rome is so much more than Roman ruins, Centro Storico, The Vatican. Good traditional Roman cuisine, neat little wine bars, wonderful piazzas where you can just sit and watch Roman life around you, parks, oh my. Friendly people, good free water, I just love it there!!! And, like I said before - I don't speak Italian. But, I'm getting better at knowing the needed phrases and reading signs and menus...

I'm from Oz....I would strongly encourage you to spend a couple of days in Rome. It really is an interesting city and it is quite amazing to view the Colosseum for the first time. I get what you are saying about the Vatican but there is so much more to Rome than that.

I have always been interested in visiting Orvieto but that will have to wait until a land based trip to Italy.

We will almost certainly go into Rome for the night now. One real attraction over Civitavecchia is that there will be places to wander and see in Rome when one or more of us is awake and others are overcoming jet lag.

We shall see. Still undecided. I understand what everyone says about Rome and perhaps if we give it a go, we shall feel the same. I love London and Paris, but then again I am very familiar with both cities. We loved Venice, but loved it even more when the crowds had gone. Sharing time with the masses doesn't do it for us any more.

Thanks for your help

If you want to go to Orvieto, it's an extremely easy trip to do by yourself!!! Just rent a car and go. There is nothing there that you can't see without the "benefit" of a guide.

Also - to put in my $.10 (inflation from $.02): Rome is so much more than Roman ruins, Centro Storico, The Vatican. Good traditional Roman cuisine, neat little wine bars, wonderful piazzas where you can just sit and watch Roman life around you, parks, oh my. Friendly people, good free water, I just love it there!!! And, like I said before - I don't speak Italian. But, I'm getting better at knowing the needed phrases and reading signs and menus...

Coming from Australia we would have the double challenge of managing Italian roads and drivers as well as driving on the wrong side of the road. For a short stay we would not consider renting a car. It takes a day to be comfortable on the wrong side of the road and we would not enjoy our day.

I do have the benefit of some Italian, it will need to be brushed up on. One of the things I enjoy most about travelling is speaking to locals in their language.

Thanks for your input

We shall see. Still undecided. I understand what everyone says about Rome and perhaps if we give it a go' date=' we shall feel the same. I love London and Paris, but then again I am very familiar with both cities. We loved Venice, but loved it even more when the crowds had gone. Sharing time with the masses doesn't do it for us any more.

Thanks for your help

Coming from Australia we would have the double challenge of managing Italian roads and drivers as well as driving on the wrong side of the road. For a short stay we would not consider renting a car. It takes a day to be comfortable on the wrong side of the road and we would not enjoy our day.

I do have the benefit of some Italian, it will need to be brushed up on. One of the things I enjoy most about travelling is speaking to locals in their language.

Thanks for your input[/quote']

I guess the left/right thing could be an issue. But, the Italian roads and drivers between Civi and Orvieto is really a non-issue. I drove around Orvieto and Tuscany up to Florence from Rome this past may - everyone drove just like everyone drives where I come from. Now, driving inside Rome itself - that's where it gets dicey. It wasn't as bad as everyone made me think it was, but bad enough that I would take the train to the airport and rent from there the next time ;)

You can take the train to Orvieto. Starting in Civi, it would take 2.5-3 hours each way…you have to go Civi-Roma first, then take an inter-city or regional train to Orvieto. The landscape is fantastic. I did Florence-Rome via train to get back to FCO. Watching the scenery pass by while listening to Andrea Bocelli through my headphones was just too much fun!!!

Slidergirl...do you remember how long a drive it was from Orvieto to Civi?

It's about 1.5-2 hours each way.

I did it from Rome - there are two different ways from Orvieto, one goes via Rome, one does not. You can do a lookup on Google Maps for the routes (that's what I did before my trip) I forgot to pack my paper map (:eek:), so I decided to try to use my iPad Mini and the Maps app to navigate my way through Tuscany. I bought a SIM for it from TIM and it worked fantastically well for the entire drive, even on some really small backroads around the Chianti area!!! The nice voice on the app always told me where to turn...I found all the roads perfectly drivable and I had no issues with others on the roads.