Disappointed with NCL!

rvsullivan

After being what some consider an NCL "cheerleader" for several years, today was a huge disappointment. We have booked a suite again almost a year in advance and today I attempted to upgrade at full price to a higher level suite. After an hour on the phone with both a rep and a supervisor, they want to revoke both my suite OBC and Latitudes OBC in addition to the upgrade cost. We have booked suites for the last several years and have always moved up to a higher level during the year. We always pay the difference and keep all existing suite perks. This year NCL is standing firm. The loss of OBC almost doubles the cost of the upgrade and makes it not worthwhile.

For the first time ever, I guess our next cruise will be with the competition. Never thought we would see that day!!!:(

I wish I had selected cancel for any reason insurance, but unfortunately that's not the case. We will take this cruise, but I guess no more.

Edited by rvsullivan

Sorry to hear about your experience, sometimes NCL just does not make sense.

I called NCL Wednesday about their Black Friday $150 OBC for a suite, and was told could combine the $300 9 month OBC with the special. (I did not speak with my PCC).

So booked a suite for Jan 2015, found out the two offers were not combinable. They gave me the $150 OBC. Discovered this on MYNCL. So called back and went through the wringer to get this straightened out, instead for the $300 OBC.

On the www5.ncl site, the terms and conditions for the Black Friday offer show an old T&C from 3/29/2013 for wine and dine at Cagneys for Breakaway sailings. They told me the T&C were on the new web site, and were very vague. (Do not use the new site-horrible).

I under stand your frustration. Enjoy your cruise though, just got off the Jewel earlier this month, enjoyed it. :confused:

Also, we have always used a FCC for full deposit on a suite, the lower level suites. This time we used it, but had to give a additional $250 deposit. Has more changed with NCL? The terms & conditions are the same on the old FCC forms and the current. Or ?. :confused:

I think the rule of thumb is they will ALWAYS take away OBC when they come from specials if you cancel a reservation for any reason. I know it makes sense to say you are not canceling but upgrading. I agree with you but just hear this story many times here. OBC does not automatically transfer to a new reservation.

Boy do I wish that was true!

I would try again Monday. Holiday weekend and all they may just have a skeleton crew working. I have never heard of them taking it away either. Especially this close to sailing. Do you have a PCC? Maybe they can help. Be persistant especially where you have done this in the past I am sure it is just an over look and you will be able to upgrade yourself. Good Luck! Please let us know how you make out.

We were on the Epic about 3 weeks ago. Had seen before we left that the price had dropped. Also had $100 OBC. Was told that if I took the lower price or upgraded to a different cabin, would lose OBC. Wasn't worth making the change. Wont sail on NCL again. Terrible cruise!

Why don't you just book the level of suite that you want in the first place? No angst, no heartburn.

Not being obnoxious, just wondering . the OBC would be the same....and you would not have to switch cruise lines.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think the rule of thumb is they will ALWAYS take away OBC when they come from specials if you cancel a reservation for any reason. I know it makes sense to say you are not canceling but upgrading. I agree with you but just hear this story many times here. OBC does not automatically transfer to a new reservation.

Boy do I wish that was true!

Yes. This has been our experience, not just with NCL but other lines as well. An upgrade/price decrease/whatever change has resulted in loss of the OBC or whatever perk we had. We can choose to remain in our original group with the perks or take the upgrade, price decrease, etc. and lose them.

Cruiselines offer OBC as incentive to book early and you entered into an agreement to that gave you the OBC based on booking at a rate for that cabin at that time. You certainly could have booked the upgraded cabin then and received the same OBC but YOU chose not too.

Now months later and after the early booking incentive is no longer available you want to in essence cancel that contract and replace it with one for another cabin but still keep your early booking incentives. I am only guessing but it's likely the price of the cabin you are wanting to switch to is now less than it was when you booked your original cabin. If that is the case you want the lower price that NCL is offering to sell the cabin now that the cruise date is near and an OBC incentive that is offered for booking at the original price.

Would you expect NCL to call you and cancel or OBC or ask you to pay more if the cruise sold out and they figured they could sell the cabins at a higher rate? You wouldn't because you have a contract with an agreed price already in place. NCL is just asking you to honor the agreement you made and nothing more.

It's a shame that your attitude is that unless NCL offers to change the agreement you made with them to now be more in your favor then you will switch to a new cruiseline in the future. If you are not in the cabin class you ultimately wanted you can blame yourself but not NCL they have not done anything other than ask you to honor your agreement.

I know, I get the book the room you want! Point is, looking to book another level of suite and pay for it! Not asking for a free upgrade. Serious money here. Don't mind paying the extra money, and they are offering OBC for new booking, but they want me to pay the extra money, not get the new OBC and forfeit the OBC I had, doesn't make sense to me?

Why don't you just book the level of suite that you want in the first place? No angst, no heartburn.

Not being obnoxious, just wondering . the OBC would be the same....and you would not have to switch cruise lines.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did that very thing. Booked the suite we wanted. Now find we are able to book a higher level and have the cash to pay for it.:D

Not looking for a free upgrade, trying to buy a better suite.

We did that very thing. Booked the suite we wanted. Now find we are able to book a higher level and have the cash to pay for it.:D

Not looking for a free upgrade, trying to buy a better suite.

Are you booking the new suite at the price it was offered at when you originally booked your current suite or is it now less? If the price has not changed I would understand you being disappointed, however if NCL is under no obligation to honor your OBC when you decide to change, remember they would still have to sell the suite your leaving, likely at a lower price than what you paid for.

If the price is lower now for the upgraded suite why should you expect them to give you a better price and still get the OBC that was an incentive to book the cabin at its original price?

I certainly would not take the position that if they don't agree with your terms you won't sail them again, decide if the new suite is worth the price difference minus the OBC or not. Whatever your decision and whatever suite you end up in enjoy your cruise cause either way your paying for it.

OP- if you always move up during the year and pay full price why don't you book the suite you want initially?

Please read post #16 again, they are NOW able to get a better suite than they originally booked. We like to do exactly the same too, book what we know we can afford initially and if we feel like it and it's possible closer to the cruise, we like to look at possible upgrades too - never had any problem with disappearing points or booking promos when upgrading and paying the full difference for it.

After being what some consider an NCL "cheerleader" for several years, today was a huge disappointment. We have booked a suite again almost a year in advance and today I attempted to upgrade at full price to a higher level suite. After an hour on the phone with both a rep and a supervisor, they want to revoke both my suite OBC and Latitudes OBC in addition to the upgrade cost. We have booked suites for the last several years and have always moved up to a higher level during the year. We always pay the difference and keep all existing suite perks. This year NCL is standing firm. The loss of OBC almost doubles the cost of the upgrade and makes it not worthwhile.

For the first time ever, I guess our next cruise will be with the competition. Never thought we would see that day!!!:(

I wish I had selected cancel for any reason insurance, but unfortunately that's not the case. We will take this cruise, but I guess no more.

wow, that does suck, but maybe you can talk to someone else tomorrow. Did you ask to speak with a supervisor. I have learned, through many mistakes, weekends are not the best time to try and make changes regardless of what company you are dealing with. Don't give up so quickly...

My 2cents worth... Wait until 2-3 week's before sailing and the upgrade should be way less than the loss of OBC. Any suite would be nice... It would be nice to be in the position to complain about the difference between different suites. Regardless, enjoy your cruise. (you could be in an inside GTY like me...)

Sent from my C6606 using Forums mobile app