11/29 Zuiderdam Panama Canal Impressions

Crew News

Embarkation Day on the 11/29/13 sailing of the Ms Zuiderdam proved to be an interesting one. The lack of taxi traffic and the very short waiting line for check-in was different from any of my previous HAL cruises.

Entering the terminal at 10:30 AM, we saw approximately 15 passengers with one HAL rep directing traffic to the four check-in spots behind the check-in counters. Check-in was swift and we proceeded past approximately 60 passengers sitting in the First Floor Waiting area and took the elevator upstairs to the Final Waiting area. We were there nearly 45 minutes before any other passengers appeared.

The first passenger to join us upstairs wore a tan kilt and a badge declaring himself a member of a “Card Players Club”. With further inquiry, we learned that a large number of poker players would be on board, two of whom were in the Poker Hall of Fame. His repeated attempts to get past security to set up the poker tables were futile.

After 11:15 AM, a few more passengers appeared on the second level rather than the normal hundreds of passengers that I was used to seeing. At 11:30, a HAL rep came from the ship to announce that all of the Border and Immigration computers had crashed and all passengers were late disembarking. Checking names from a printed list really slowed things down for both disembarking and embarking passengers. One passenger described this HAL rep as tougher than his Army drill sergeant as she parsed the few passengers into their appropriate seating areas.

A few minutes before noon and after a number of overheard radio calls, we learned that the ship had handed a verified list of passengers to the Border Patrol and had been handed a written authorization for boarding to proceed. The two hundred or so passengers now in the second floor Final Waiting area followed us to the gangway.

The muster drill went off without a hitch a little after four PM, our original departure time. Room numbers were not repeatedly called and the drill lasted perhaps 15 minutes. This was a far cry from some of the long waiting times on previous cruises.

Dining:

The Mariner’s lunch was from the same menu I have seen for the past five cruising years and I took the opportunity to choose the last items that I had been avoiding on previous cruises. Peering around the room, I saw perhaps 60 Mariner’s.

When I walked to the Lido for an ice cream cone, most of the tables at 1:30 PM were open. With luggage still not delivered, there did not appear to be many passengers touring the ship.

The Pinnacle Grill at 6:30 had no more than 20 diners. The wait staff had completely changed from our May 2013 cruise and provided a great dining experience. One of the diners at our table felt chilled and was immediately provided a coat by the wait staff. Half way through our steak meals, what seemed to be a karaoke rookie from the bar above the PG performed renditions of ‘50’s and ‘60’s tunes. The volume was extreme and the resulting harmonics caused a humming in the metal fillings of my teeth. It is certain that the PG Manager would not have chosen the type, volume, or quality of this music for a fine dining experience.

The Neptune Lounge is well-stocked with snacks and the two concierges are OK.

Facilities:

A/C in our aft-wrap cabin was chilly as were the rooms in the vicinity.

The condition of the ship at first glance is good. I have noted in a previous post the small scratch on my bathtub facing and must add the three surface-rust spots on my verandah, and one broken wicker strand on my verandah furniture. I can tough those out for the next nine days.

It must be noted that up until a few minutes before castaway, a cherry picker had lifted two workers to paint the white verandah trim on the cabin above us. Maintenance is ongoing at all hours.

My initial evaluation will be updated as I discover any major or minor discrepancies that may cause future Ms Zuiderdam passengers to reconsider their booking.

Miscellaneous:

We learned that the ship is at minimum capacity which is manifested in very short buffet lines, deck chair opportunities, open seats in the Vista Lounge, and no crammed elevators.

Captain Turner celebrated the big “60” yesterday and I will be giving him one of my calendars. This is the same captain that Joanie addressed as a member of security last May before being quickly corrected.

If you are considering sailing on the Ms Zuiderdam, please ask any questions and I will discover “the facts of the matter” to facilitate your choice.

Daily MDR menus and On Locations will be available on my website within seven days of my disembarkation. The current wine list and prices will also be posted.

If you are considering sailing on the Ms Zuiderdam, please ask any questions and I will discover “the facts of the matter” to facilitate your choice.

Daily MDR menus and On Locations will be available on my website within seven days of my disembarkation. The current wine list and prices will also be posted.

I'm new here (and to HAL), and have just booked this ship to Alaska next summer. Can you tell me what your website is? Oh, it is the photography one in your signature. D'oh! Looking forward to hearing all you have to say about this ship.

Edited by Dismomx5

So excited to hear your impressions as you cruise along. We are on in 4 weeks! (and now hoping for an upsell to suite...) So sorry that you have to deal with those rust spots and scratches. I know it is very, very hard. You have my sympathy.:p

I really must know---is the glorious coffee/cappuccino maker in the Neptune working? Do you know the names of the Concierges? Temp on the Rotterdam deck OK?

Sounds like you are in for a great cruise

I will check on the coffee maker for you. Concierges rotate with the Front Desk folks so its hard to predict who will be there. I can only speak for those who I have met in the aft cabins but no A/C issues so far.

An Assistant Dining Room Manager has promised to print both the 10 and 11-day MDR menus for me. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

is there any hope of asking the Asst DR Manager for the 7 day menus for the cruises later in December? Pretty please!!!!:o Trying to plan the nights we would like to eat in the specialty restaurants:)!

Thanks for posting your impressions of your cruise.

On the Concierge desk in the Neptune Lounge, is there a list of the locations of the HAL fleet each day?.........there was on the Volendam, am curious if the other ships also do this.

Any chance you can take a look at the recent string of one-star member reviews now posted on CC for the Zuiderdam and give your impressions point by point of what they found and what you are finding? Thnx :cool:

What's a "one star member review"?

Oh and if so, be sure to compare apples to apples (ie, same cabin, etc.)

Thanks for posting your impressions of your cruise.

On the Concierge desk in the Neptune Lounge, is there a list of the locations of the HAL fleet each day?.........there was on the Volendam, am curious if the other ships also do this.

That's really interesting - I never saw one in the Zuiderdam Neptune Lounge on my Alaska cruise. I would really enjoy having that info.

That's really interesting - I never saw one in the Zuiderdam Neptune Lounge on my Alaska cruise. I would really enjoy having that info.

This was the first cruise that we had seen such a list, in fact my comment to DH was that someone decided to copy the idea from the Daily Fleet report here on this Hal forum.

Edited by erewhon

Day #1 Half Moon Cay

The day began with disappointment at 6:20 AM when I was informed that my Room Service menu was found still lying on the desk and obviously not properly placed on the door handle the night before. Expecting to have breakfast on the verandah, I grudgingly dressed to endure the crowded Lido since docking at HMC was at 8:00.

The lack of a Lido crowd confirmed the minimum passenger load for the cruise. The longest line had five hungry passengers. Nearly half of the tables were empty and available for immediate seating. Without the rush to serve, my waffles were cooked a bit longer which added a special crispness that I do not normally experience. Most of the tables on the aft deck were open and only two loungers were occupied. The atmosphere was almost like my verandah.

Having dipped my toes into the sand and water of HMC on other occasions, I opted to remain on board. Tendering procedures now require a tender pass and the surge at the gangway is alleviated. It was reported that the presence of the Nieuw Amsterdam made the island rather crowded.

The techspert teaching the Microsoft classes remembered me from his May class and encouraged me to attend the class on email accounts. The smell of cooking popcorn filled the class room and I vowed to attend the start of the movie to taste it.

The poker club was in full swing in the conference room most of the day. The sound of shuffling poker chips demonstrated that all participants had been watching The World Poker Tour on TV.

Dining:

The Asian buffet attracted my interest for lunch. The peanut-sauce noodles and pork stir fry were properly seasoned and tasty. Of course all meals on HAL require and ice cream cone. I opted for the pistachio.

The chief waiters at each MDR station were wearing new white jackets with silvery lapels which added a more formal touch to MDR. Eating alone was completed in less than one hour. The Dining Room Assistant Manager stopped at every table to great the diners. When he stopped at my table, I convinced him to give me printed copies of the menus for both the 10 and 11-day Panama Canal cruises. The pepper pot soup was perfectly seasoned and the crab cakes were tasty. To protect any potential strain on my clothing, I bypassed the dessert.

I now have a copy of the ship's wine list with prices.

Facilities:

No deficiencies were noted during my wanderings around the ship but I am remaining vigilant.

Miscellaneous:

Thanks to all who captured our sail-away. I have shared the images with other CC members on board.

Any chance you can take a look at the recent string of one-star member reviews now posted on CC for the Zuiderdam and give your impressions point by point of what they found and what you are finding? Thnx :cool:

What you request is like comparing photographs taken at different times for the physical things. I can only confirm what is now.

Comparing opinions is another matter. I can only give my own with as much factual information as possible. Without a common definition of adjectives or a numerical scale, it is difficult to give a critique of someone else's opinion.

I will give my comparison when I return to high-speed internet.