1st cruise. Questions about tendering.

kaye63

We are taking our first cruise to W. Caribbean on NCL Jewel in March 2014. We are going to Belize, Cozumel, Rotan, and Costa Maya. I believe most of these ports require tendering into port. While I understand the basic concept of tendering, I am looking for some details.

How many people do they tender in at a time? I'm wondering how long it takes to get 2,500 people to land.

If I book a shore excursion NOT from the cruise ship line, how long should I expect it to take to get from ship to land?

How often do the tenders run? If we are in port from 8-5, can I choose to go to land at any time? What about if I only want to spend a few hours in a port, then go back to the ship to enjoy some quiet pool time; can I go back to the ship whenever I want?

Also, are the tenders hard to get into?

Thanks for your help. As noted, this is my first cruise, and I'm having trouble finding details on this issue.

Actually, Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya don't require tendering under normal circumstances. Haven't been to Belize, so can't answer for that.

Most cruise lines, if you look at the itinerary, will have some indicator of tendering ports. Might be a small "tr", for tendering required, next to the name of the port, for example.

Each cruise line has slightly different policies and procedures, so some reading and research on the NCL board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

would be helpful.

Generally the ships will use their tenders. These can carry 120-150 people each, more for some of the larger ships. So, given it takes about 15 minutes to load a tender, and most ships can load two tenders at once, and use 6 or 8 tenders at a time, you can get an idea of time required. That of course, assumes everyone wants to get off, which actually isn't true.

As discussed here MANY times, usually ship's excursions, then repeat cruisers (commonly called "elites") and suite pax get priority. It is never recommended to book a private excursion too soon after arrival at a tender port, unless you some priority in getting off quickly.

As to how hard it is to get on a tender, that varies by many things. The ship's tendering facilities, the wind and the seas being the big ones. Yes, in rougher seas and winds, it can be a bit tricky. But the cruise line will usually station many helping hands at the tendering docks.

The tenders will run non-stop while you are at that port. After the initial rush, you can come and go as you please.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We are going to Belize, Cozumel, Rotan, and Costa Maya. I believe most of these ports require tendering into port.

Of your ports ... under normal circumstances ... ONLY Belize "tenders". On a RARE circumstance you could anchor out and tender in Coz' but I've not seen this in YEARS.

When the port IS a tender port you will be told in advance what time the 'last tender' leaves the shore ... and obviously they will not leave anyone on the beach if in line for the tender at that time even if it means running an extra.

Tendering details can vary from cuiseline to cruiseline. There are different size tenders but 150 might be a decent estimate. Some lines have bigger tenders. Tendering preference is given to people with early cruise-booked excursions on all cruiselines. It usually is very organized and goes quite fast. I probably wouldn't book a private excursion in the first hour or so. Time to get to shore depends on how far out the ship anchors from shore. 15 minutes would be a good estimate. For the most part, the tenders runs continuously throughout the time in port, with the last tender being about 30 minutes before the "all aboard". This means transportation by tender is available throughout the entire day, nearly continuously.

I hope this helps!

There's also a good chance that not ALL 2,500 passengers will be getting off and some wait till later in the day to go ashore.

I agree that you should not schedule your tour during the first hour.

Don

As long as you don't need to be 1st off, tendering is no big deal. As said, they hold a lot of people, and not everyone gets off at every port! For instance, we usually have a leisurely breakfast (while the mad rush to depart for some is going on), then go to the tenders and board! Easy!

You can come and go at will...as much as you want.

How many people do they tender in at a time?

Depends on the ship. Each tender can hold 50-300 people, and they often run several at a time.

I'm wondering how long it takes to get 2,500 people to land.

No idea, but everyone doesn't run to be off first. Some people take a long breakfast, sleep in, choose to stay onboard...

If I book a shore excursion NOT from the cruise ship line, how long should I expect it to take to get from ship to land?

Depends, could be an hour. Don't book something that begins right as the ship is docking.

How often do the tenders run?

All day, they pretty much just cycle around from ship to shore. Once the morning rush is done, they often wait until there are a good number of people on the boat or dock before going. During the middle of the day it has happened that a tender will run with only 1 person.

If we are in port from 8-5, can I choose to go to land at any time?

Pretty much yes. The last tender out will be about 3:45pm, the last one back will be 4:30. They will have a sign reminding you of this, it's also listed in the daily newsletter and they will tell you a zillion times. Don't miss the last tender! As long as you are in line for it by 4:30 you'll be fine.

What about if I only want to spend a few hours in a port, then go back to the ship to enjoy some quiet pool time; can I go back to the ship whenever I want?

Yes

No, tenders are just boats. You just walk the gangway, step onto the tender, find a seat and go.

this is my first cruise, and I'm having trouble finding details on this issue.

Really? There are tons of threads on this issue, some very specific to your ship and line. Also you can Google photos of tenders as well as many videos on You Tube.

Here's one I found of a Carnival tender in Grand Cayman. You can see ne tender leaving as people are lined up for another. At then end you can see how they attach it to the ship to let people off. They are using local tenders and not the ship tenders which are the smaller lifeboat looking boats with orange tops.

The last cruise we went on my mom was nervous about tenders and was very relieved to find that on the ship tv station the cruise director went over the whole process including showing a video of exactly what was to happen. They do this on many lines in their morning news.

Relax, you're going to have a great cruise. :)

Edited by lrowe70

I've never ever had to wait more than about 10-15 minutes to get on a tender and then about 10 or 15 minutes to depart. Usually when there's a wait to board there's less of a wait to depart. And the ride takes anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes.

Granted I'm never in the first early group off the ship. But I've never had much of a wait.

Getting back ON the ship has required more of a wait, but never more than 20 minutes.

And a lot of people stay on board. We've taken cruises where we never get off the ship. And while things are somewhat peaceful on the ship on port days - you'd be surprised at how many people don't get off the ship at any given port.

Belize is the only port with tenders and it s LONG ride to the port. (It is the longest tender port!)

Often the ship will have tender tickets. They will say where to get them. They are for the order you get on the tender, people with #1 are first on and so forth. Later after most have gotten on tenders, you won't need one.

To come back just get on the tender- no tickets or waiting here. Tenders go back and forth all day.

Just to add a couple of points:

Many cruise lines have priority tendering for suite passengers and those in their uppermost tier of the loyality programs. People with ship sponsed tours leaving early may also get priority. Coming back to the ship its just one big line for all and no one has any priority. Tendering isn't always easy. A lot depends on the sea conditions. While the cruise ship doesn't even feel a 3 foot chop the tender boats bob like a cork and people with mobility issues may not be able to board them. Yes the crew is there to assist but even then it can be difficult. Lots of posts on here about tender ports having to be missed when the Captain decides it is too dangerous to tender passengers ashore. You will almost always see prohibitions on tendering for wheelchair bound passengers and those using scooters and walkers because of safety concerns.

How often do the tenders run? If we are in port from 8-5, can I choose to go to land at any time?

They just run back and forth, there is no schedule. Belize is a long ride to the shore, I would say give it 1/2 hour. Not just the ride, it's also takes time for people get on and off. You must be back at certain time before departure, the time will be in the daily schedule, don't miss it! The ship will leave without you.

What about if I only want to spend a few hours in a port, then go back to the ship to enjoy some quiet pool time; can I go back to the ship whenever I want?

Of course you can! Some passengers don't even leave in each port. There will be limited activities on the ship.

There are steps down to get into tender, and steps up to go back on the ship, with railing to hold on to. The crew will give you a hand if they see you need a little help.

how many people do they tender in at a time?

depends on the ship. Each tender can hold 50-300 people, and they often run several at a time.

i'm wondering how long it takes to get 2,500 people to land.

no idea, but everyone doesn't run to be off first. Some people take a long breakfast, sleep in, choose to stay onboard...

if i book a shore excursion not from the cruise ship line, how long should i expect it to take to get from ship to land?

depends, could be an hour. Don't book something that begins right as the ship is docking.

how often do the tenders run?

all day, they pretty much just cycle around from ship to shore. Once the morning rush is done, they often wait until there are a good number of people on the boat or dock before going. During the middle of the day it has happened that a tender will run with only 1 person.

if we are in port from 8-5, can i choose to go to land at any time?

pretty much yes. The last tender out will be about 3:45pm, the last one back will be 4:30. They will have a sign reminding you of this, it's also listed in the daily newsletter and they will tell you a zillion times. Don't miss the last tender! As long as you are in line for it by 4:30 you'll be fine.

what about if i only want to spend a few hours in a port, then go back to the ship to enjoy some quiet pool time; can i go back to the ship whenever i want?

yes

also, are the tenders hard to get into?

no, tenders are just boats. You just walk the gangway, step onto the tender, find a seat and go.

this is my first cruise, and i'm having trouble finding details on this issue.

really? There are tons of threads on this issue, some very specific to your ship and line. Also you can google photos of tenders as well as many videos on you tube.

Here's one i found of a carnival tender in grand cayman. You can see ne tender leaving as people are lined up for another. At then end you can see how they attach it to the ship to let people off. They are using local tenders and not the ship tenders which are the smaller lifeboat looking boats with orange tops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htsswfqnnai

the last cruise we went on my mom was nervous about tenders and was very relieved to find that on the ship tv station the cruise director went over the whole process including showing a video of exactly what was to happen. They do this on many lines in their morning news.

Relax, you're going to have a great cruise. :)

thats a great video..

Thank you all so much! I was really nervous about this, and feel so much better now. The detailed answers are greatly appreciated. Funny, I've been doing so much research into "5 things I wish I'd known before my first cruise" and "3 things to never leave home without" that I missed the big point that only Belize is a tender port. I am going back now to look at my itinerary. And the shore excursion times. And most of all, I will relax. I'm really SO excited about my first cruise!

Since this will be OP's 1st cruise and a bit nervous about getting to/from the ship , I would suggest shore tours booked with the cruise line . You will know when and where to meet plus if not back in time , they know where you are.

Save the on your own tours for when OP is not so nervous .

Since this will be OP's 1st cruise and a bit nervous about getting to/from the ship , I would suggest shore tours booked with the cruise line . You will know when and where to meet plus if not back in time , they know where you are.

Save the on your own tours for when OP is not so nervous .

Agree with you on this. Even as very long time cruisers, we often book through the ship when it's something we want to do at a time that suits us. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Belize is the exception. The ship anchors quite far out, due to shallow circumstances, and lots of coral heads. It takes a ride of 20-25 min, once the tender is loaded. But it is a very pretty ride.

It is a great ride in Belize and I enjoy it!

Tendering when done right is actually fun for me.

However should there be a shortage of tenders it can complicate things. One cruise with Carnival took us to the Grand Cayman and 3 Carnival ships were being served by 6 tenders. Not sure why this happened, but it surely did upset a lot of passengers. Never have had any tendering problem with NCL.

Thank you all so much! I was really nervous about this, and feel so much better now. The detailed answers are greatly appreciated. Funny, I've been doing so much research into "5 things I wish I'd known before my first cruise" and "3 things to never leave home without" that I missed the big point that only Belize is a tender port. I am going back now to look at my itinerary. And the shore excursion times. And most of all, I will relax. I'm really SO excited about my first cruise!

We had the same itinerary in Dec 2011 on the Mariner of the Seas. We rode a tender to and from shore for our excursion which we booked through the cruise line. I'll insert a link to my wife's picture slide show below just in case you want to see what the tender looks like.

Belize ~ Excursion to Lamanai Mayan Ruins