Bad Publicity For Celebrity

Perhaps the Husband may also be suffering from a little bit of "forgetfulness" as well. Was told by a "reliable source" that Celebrity had actually already refunded the money for the last nine days and the next cruise they had booked but he must have forgotten that when he went to Today Tonight with "his" version of the story ........There usually are always two sides to a story so never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Thanks for the information gbenjo. I wonder how much the nephew who posted on FB had to do with the story and getting it into the media and the extent to which others were behind this. I smell a rat, or maybe I am just suspicious.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Thanks for the information gbenjo. I wonder how much the nephew who posted on FB had to do with the story and getting it into the media and the extent to which others were behind this. I smell a rat, or maybe I am just suspicious.

Some of the comments on FB are outragous, it seems obvious that they have never cruised or know anything about tender processes, etc.

Some of the comments on FB are outragous, it seems obvious that they have never cruised or know anything about tender processes, etc.

Same with the Cairns post comments, and so on.

But that's the same with any topic, e.g court judgements, IT issues, you name it. Opinions are posted, regardless of the knowledge level of the poster.

Perhaps the Husband may also be suffering from a little bit of "forgetfulness" as well. Was told by a "reliable source" that Celebrity had actually already refunded the money for the last nine days and the next cruise they had booked but he must have forgotten that when he went to Today Tonight with "his" version of the story ........There usually are always two sides to a story so never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Reading the Celebrity announcement, they say they are working with the TA to get the refund back.

I daresay his statement is correct. Having experience of the slowness of refunds through TAs, it does take significant time for them to be processed through them.

Opinions are posted, regardless of the knowledge level of the poster.

Opinions are like something else that we all have!!! - and often the same stuff comes out of both!!

But these days - everybody has the right to impose their opinion on everybody else.

Barry

Where do you live - sounds like HEAVEN! - some of us would pay money for that option (yes I know we can change the channel)

I watched the item and I think the husband has to take responsibility for what happened - sadly circumstances have changed for this couple and some things they used to be able to do are now no longer possible

LOL, I live on the mid North Coast of NSW in an area that is serviced by Prime television, so we get the half hour national news and a half hour local news instead of Today Tonight.

The family is lucky she didn't manage to get off the ship while lost. That could have been a serious issue!

That was my first thought too. If she had decided to get on a tender across to Yorky's Knob, who knows where she could've ended up. AND.....if that had've happened, I'm sure Celebrity would have been in the wrong in that case as well.

That was my first thought too. If she had decided to get on a tender across to Yorky's Knob, who knows where she could've ended up. AND.....if that had've happened, I'm sure Celebrity would have been in the wrong in that case as well.

Yes, it would have been, how could you let a person with that level of dementia leave the ship alone.:eek:

Reading the Celebrity announcement, they say they are working with the TA to get the refund back.

I daresay his statement is correct. Having experience of the slowness of refunds through TAs, it does take significant time for them to be processed through them.

As you say, it can take time. A couple of years ago a cruise we booked on Celebrity Millenium was cancelled when Celebrity decided not to bring the ship to Australia. We had paid only our deposits, but it took a long time to get them refunded and I don't believe the delay was caused by our Brisbane TA. It was one Down Under (not in USA). :)

Why did the Husband leave his wife with dementia on the ship alone?

We can only surmise, but maybe she would have slowed him down if he took her ashore and he preferred to go ashore alone. I believe he said he had gone ashore alone at previous ports.

I think we all feel he should have either taken her with him, stayed on the ship with her, or had a family member along to help him (but of course this costs extra).

We can only surmise, but maybe she would have slowed him down if he took her ashore and he preferred to go ashore alone. I believe he said he had gone ashore alone at previous ports.

I think we all feel he should have either taken her with him, stayed on the ship with her, or had a family member along to help him (but of course this costs extra).

Or changed his mind set on what constitutes a safe holiday for their trip of a lifetime.

I'm goin to call this as saying the husband thought he could enjoy a cruise and leave his wife "safely" on board while he took a break. I'm not sure there was enough thought,maybe intentional, as to what her real needs were. In the case of dementia, that is not changing the environment.

Hindsight is wonderful. He should have done any of those things and it would not have ended in the way it did.

I do not know why some people cannot recognise when they make a fundamental error in judgement and instead feel the need to blame someone else.

Or changed his mind set on what constitutes a safe holiday for their trip of a lifetime.

I'm goin to call this as saying the husband thought he could enjoy a cruise and leave his wife "safely" on board while he took a break. I'm not sure there was enough thought,maybe intentional, as to what her real needs were. In the case of dementia, that is not changing the environment.

I believe you are right. :) I am sure he did not mean anything bad to happen.

I do not know why some people cannot recognise when they make a fundamental error in judgement and instead feel the need to blame someone else.

It happens all the time. :D Most times, if people could just say "sorry", or "I made a mistake", the whole thing would blow over.:) I am not necessarily talking about this Celebrity/Mr and Mrs Arnold incident.

Dementia is something the cruise and travel industry are going to have to stand up and face , whether they like it or not . The stats on Dementia are horrific ...... and are set to get worse.

One case is diagnosed every 4 seconds around the world.

G8 summit sets 'ambitious' 2025 target for dementia cure

http://www.dw.de/g8-summit-sets-ambitious-2025-target-for-dementia-cure/a-17288782

No one here is in any doubt about the scale of the dementia crisis. A new case every four seconds, a global cost of $600 billion (440 billion euros) and that is to say nothing of the human cost," British Prime Minister David Cameron told the meeting in London.

Dementia is something the cruise and travel industry are going to have to stand up and face , whether they like it or not . The stats on Dementia are horrific ...... and are set to get worse.

One case is diagnosed every 4 seconds around the world.

G8 summit sets 'ambitious' 2025 target for dementia cure

http://www.dw.de/g8-summit-sets-ambitious-2025-target-for-dementia-cure/a-17288782

No one here is in any doubt about the scale of the dementia crisis. A new case every four seconds, a global cost of $600 billion (440 billion euros) and that is to say nothing of the human cost," British Prime Minister David Cameron told the meeting in London.

WOW, that is mind boggling.

I wonder where the cruise was going after Cairns?

I would suspect the cruise line would be worried that something could have happened , and there are lots of sea days between Australia and Singapore where help would not be at hand if needed.

On a coastal cruise , when not far away from local care ,all this may not have occurred