flights cancelled in Dallas

I don't know, but if this is about to affect you, start working NOW on figuring out a different plan. Look at your airline; see if they are allowing you to change flights. If so, DO it. Don't wait. DH had a flight to SEA this evening (well, Friday evening) and tried to change it yesterday but all the flights were ALREADY full. (all for the best, as all the afternoon flights were cancelled and his airline only started flying to Seattle again after 9pm Friday) Get your options together and start working on them now.

AAAHHHHH what happens if flights are cancelled and someone can't get to the cruise port on time? What's the latest someone can board?

If you have a Royal cruise, you can call (800) 256-6649 . This is their number for "day of cruise" assistance.

AAAHHHHH what happens if flights are cancelled and someone can't get to the cruise port on time? What's the latest someone can board?

Have you checked on your flight????????? if you booked through the cruiseline and they know the flight will be late there's a chance they won't leave without you. We were late making a connecting flight after getting off a cruise once in San Juan. We were rushing like mad to get to the gate in Atlanta for our flight to DFW. When we got there they told us that they were waiting for us,

Be positive

Call your airline now and see about getting rerouted through any other airport.

If you live in Dallas, book a flight out of Love Field on Southwest as it seems to still be operating. If you do this ask your original airline to protect your return flight so you don't have to buy a return flight home.

We often contemplate what would happen if there was bad weather on our flight departure day. One of our options is to try to rebook from a city nearby and get in the car and start driving (Oklahoma City, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Shreveport, or even New Orleans). Since we're in Dallas the odds of every freeway being closed due to weather are very slim.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As noted, the latest you can board is 90 minutes prior to departure. Other than hoping you have insurance, not sure what you can do.

When it became apparent we weren't getting out of Dallas on Friday we called Delta and rescheduled to go to Florida to meet the ship at Port Canaveral. When we called RC to let them know about our change in plans they told us that due to the Jones act we had to wait until the first non-US port to board.

So that meant 4 days into an 8 day trip.

We declined and have been working with RC and Delta on options. So far everyone has been super and we are working things out.

No more Dec cruises for me...

Stompy, sorry that you didn't make it on the Grandeur. Glad to hear that you are getting things worked out with RCI. Traveling in the winter is a gamble.

Looks like we might come in a day early and stay at Best Western. They offer a free shuttle to the cruise. The room rate is listed as $95 on the boards but it shows $139 online and the 2014 rates aren't published yet. Once we get the cruise OBC worked out we'll call Delta and the hotel and set it all up

Looks like we might come in a day early and stay at Best Western. They offer a free shuttle to the cruise. The room rate is listed as $95 on the boards but it shows $139 online and the 2014 rates aren't published yet. Once we get the cruise OBC worked out we'll call Delta and the hotel and set it all up

That's the hotel we're staying at for our Dec 24th sailing.

What rate did you get for the stay and cruise package?

We stayed at a Best Western quite close to the airport, there was nothing around the hotel except a waffle house within walking distance, so dinner wasn't great but it served it's purpose - we paid $70 but that was a couple of years ago, we had a private shuttle around the clock pick us up at the hotel the next morning and they took us to the port canaveral. The best western at that point was not offering travel to the port. Enjoy.

Thanks for all your responses. Everything turned out ok. All made it aboard, though it was last minute. Ship sailed at 5pm and my friends whose flight had been cancelled got on board at 3:45. They were flying from Phoenix, supposed to stop in Dallas then on to Ft Lauderdale. Dallas was closed, they had to change their flights and fly to Charlotte, NC, then to West Palm Beach, FL, and get a taxi. Cost them a fortune, but they made it. And we had a wonderful time!

This is the reason to arrive a day or two or even three before the cruise leaves.

After taking my first cruise from San Juan where my Father and I arrived the same day in the morning I said to myself "never again".

On our last cruise out of New Orleans we arrived 3 days before the cruise left. And stayed in Rome for a week.

On our upcoming cruise from Santos(Sao Paulo) Brazil-Barcelona we're arriving Sao Paulo 5 days before with 4 nights in Sao Paulo and the night before the cruise in Santos.

We also have 5 nights booked in Barcelona post cruise.

So it really does pay to arrive a few days before the cruise leaves and to be close to the port the night before. For the money you think you will save by arriving the same day the cruise leaves you may end up spending the money saved and more to get another flight and hotel nights before you catch up with the cruise and the missed ports/excursions etc.

I advise people taking cruises to arrive a few days before the cruise not only to acclimate to the time change but also to see a new city which you never saw before.

Hope this piece of advice is helpful to you.

It's time to repeal the archaic Jones Act. This is such a stupid act for situations like this you can't board a cruise at a US Port but must board it at a Non-US Port. Europe doesn't have this stupid law.

I think passengers who live close to Port Canaveral should have every right to board the ship where they want. They are paying for the cruise and should be able to decide where they want to embark/debark. As long as the port has Customs and Immigration then you should be allowed on or off the ship there.

I mean lets say your on a flight from Canada they have pre-clearance in Canada so you can enter the USA as a Domestic passenger the same should be for cruise passengers.

If I wanted to take a ship from San Francisco to Seattle I should not have to visit Canada to do so. Or to Hawaii why should I have to visit Mexico if I don't want to?

My point is cruise lines should be allowed to visit any port they want with or without an international stop. Just think of how many more passengers you can get if you allow them to board at a port like Seattle before going to Canada.

For flight delays this would be a great benefit to be allowed to fly to a US port and board to catch up with the ship.

We as Americans pay taxes so we should not have this Jones Act or Warsaw Convention.

I think if people write their constituents and tell them stories of missing a lot of a cruise because of this stupid archaic Jones Act then they will listen. Just imagine if you missed 1 day vs 4 days that would be better because you have to pay for hotels/transportation costs etc.

What's your take on repealing the Jones Act?

To the OP your trip was ruined because of our archaic Government how dare they make a tax paying citizen board a cruise ship at a Non US port. How dare they do it to you. This is pure extortion in my book.

Edited by travelplus

It's time to repeal the archaic Jones Act. This is such a stupid act for situations like this you can't board a cruise at a US Port but must board it at a Non-US Port. Europe doesn't have this stupid law.

I think passengers who live close to Port Canaveral should have every right to board the ship where they want. They are paying for the cruise and should be able to decide where they want to embark/debark. As long as the port has Customs and Immigration then you should be allowed on or off the ship there.

I mean lets say your on a flight from Canada they have pre-clearance in Canada so you can enter the USA as a Domestic passenger the same should be for cruise passengers.

If I wanted to take a ship from San Francisco to Seattle I should not have to visit Canada to do so. Or to Hawaii why should I have to visit Mexico if I don't want to?

My point is cruise lines should be allowed to visit any port they want with or without an international stop. Just think of how many more passengers you can get if you allow them to board at a port like Seattle before going to Canada.

For flight delays this would be a great benefit to be allowed to fly to a US port and board to catch up with the ship.

We as Americans pay taxes so we should not have this Jones Act or Warsaw Convention.

I think if people write their constituents and tell them stories of missing a lot of a cruise because of this stupid archaic Jones Act then they will listen. Just imagine if you missed 1 day vs 4 days that would be better because you have to pay for hotels/transportation costs etc.

What's your take on repealing the Jones Act?

To the OP your trip was ruined because of our archaic Government how dare they make a tax paying citizen board a cruise ship at a Non US port. How dare they do it to you. This is pure extortion in my book.

So why not research the Act and draft a letter to your Congress people that we can all copy and send off to ours that states clearly and concisely why this law is archaic and needs to be repealed? Just venting here isn't going to help as I don't think many members of Congress frequent these boards.