Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

We only have a few occasions a year when we're at home that we get dressed up - a couple nice dinners out, a wedding or funeral, holidays, church events, etc.

One of the things we like about cruising is dressing up, for formal nights as well as smart casual nights. Having DH put on a jacket and myself in a dress is outside of the norm for us...and we enjoy it.

I do agree with one of the posters who said those who do not adhere to the dress code take away from the ambiance of the night.

I also find it very interesting that people will say that they don't like the dress code and should be able to wear something they consider more comfortable, like shirt sleeves and no tie. Then the next person will say that a tie is too formal for them and why do they have to wear one? Then the next person will make the argument that their choice of wearing flip flops doesn't hurt anyone else. The standards just get looser and looser. That's why there are established dress codes...because one person's idea of dressing up can be very different from another person's.

I think if you have chosen a type of vacation that imposes a dress code, you should adhere to it. Those who complain and disregard the dress code remind me of those who move into neighborhoods with Homeowner's Associations and then complain about how restrictive they are. They serve the same purpose as a dress code...just keeping everybody on the same page.

people that paid for the same money for food as the others that want to up

. Now, what I really do love is that I can buy a specialty dining package or book in the AQ so I don't have to dress beyond smart casual. So, it is nice that Celebrity does offer that option instead of only being able to eat in the buffet. So, will just end on that note.

We have AQ booked for a 10-night cruise in April. Will it be acceptable if my husband dresses smart casual every night or must he bring his suit along?

We didn't realize on the last cruise that he didn't need to bring his suit while in AQ

That's carnival. :D

Ok you guys! I've sailed carnival and have spent a lot of time on the carnival boards n we have the same conversations over there.

I enjoy dressing nice in the MDR , I wish others would follow the code, I think it does take something away from the ambience of the experience, but it doesn't ruin my meal or my cruise. I just think it's sad. :o:rolleyes:

Really. If they were making too much noise or saying inappropriate things, that may ruin my evening but someone not dressed formally certainly has no effect.:D

For us ...ambiance is more than noise.... its the total surroundings.. to each their own.

For us ...ambiance is more than noise.... its the total surroundings.. to each their own.

Yes, I agree that ambiance is more than noise, I just don't care so much what others are wearing. That said, I think that if the cruise line has a policy, they should enforce that policy, otherwise what is the point:D.

I am curious - it seems that some itineraries lend themselves to a bit more adherence to dress code - particularly for formal nights. Is that true?

Would it be more likely that the dress code would be followed on a European itinerary than on a Caribbean cruise? How about Alaska? Or on a longer cruise compared to a a seven-day?

What about fixed seating versus open?

Do passengers tend to dress more formally under different sets of circumstances?

I think European itineraries tend to be more formal. I also agree with rucrazy, the ambiance is the total surroundings. I usually take a couple of minutes to look around the dining room during formal nights. And I just love the way it looks when people follow the dress code. :):)

I appreciate all the input, but my biggest issue was not the people who were not dressed up, but rather the attitude of the mdr staff. This comes down from the the top, as we had our cruise critic gathering on the morning after the 1st formal night and the food and beverage manager attended our get together. A few of us asked him about this same issue, and he responded that they took a survey and the overwhelming amount of people wanted to keep the formal nights. We told him about what we saw the previous night and he told us that they can't be the fashion police in the mdr. We then asked him why then have a dress code of a jacket and he told us it's really hard to police. Our whole group agreed that we were on vacation and should get dressed comfortably as long as we didn't offend. We then brought up the pictures and revenue and wecwere told that money has a lot to do with what happens on board.

Howard

I appreciate all the input, but my biggest issue was not the people who were not dressed up, but rather the attitude of the mdr staff. This comes down from the the top, as we had our cruise critic gathering on the morning after the 1st formal night and the food and beverage manager attended our get together. A few of us asked him about this same issue, and he responded that they took a survey and the overwhelming amount of people wanted to keep the formal nights. We told him about what we saw the previous night and he told us that they can't be the fashion police in the mdr. We then asked him why then have a dress code of a jacket and he told us it's really hard to police. Our whole group agreed that we were on vacation and should get dressed comfortably as long as we didn't offend. We then brought up the pictures and revenue and wecwere told that money has a lot to do with what happens on board.

Howard

Makes sense, they are in business to make a profit.:D

Yes, I agree that ambiance is more than noise, I just don't care so much what others are wearing. That said, I think that if the cruise line has a policy, they should enforce that policy, otherwise what is the point:D.

Yes indeed! I agree.. If Celebrity doesn't want to enforce it's policies they should just throw formal nights out the window. and quit claiming they are upscale.... its like they are lying to us twice in the same breath...

Edited by rucrazy

We got off the reflection last weekend and I had to write this post after reading many posts prior to us sailing Thanksgiving week. We had late seating at dinner.

The first night, many people were in shorts and extremely casual clothing in opus [the main dining room], which is to be expected as many people had not gotten their luggage especially early seating.

The second night was the 1st formal night, and I wore my tuxedo and my dw had on a very nice dressy dress. I walked into the mdr and looked around and I stopped counting at 75 the number of men who were in shirt sleeves without jackets. I went to the matre'd Luca and asked him if they changed the dress code without telling me and he said "why do you ask?". I asked him to follow me to my table for a second, and he obliged, and on the way I pointed out all of the men the room that did not have a jacket on. He gave me the line that "I spoke to all of them and told them about the dress code, and I gave out 30 jackets to people entering without a jacket." This was very hard to believe and on the following night, I decided to wear a golf shirt, shorts and flip flops to dinner, to try and see what would happen. I entered the mdr, the matre'd saw me and said "I guess I can't say anything to you after last night". I agreed that if you disregard the dress code on the formal nights, then the casual nights are even more difficult.

The rest of our cruise became a come as you want cruise and on the 2nd formal night while I had my tux on, I saw many, many more people dressed casual.

I know that some of you like lsimon will flame me for this, but I just have to call it like I see it. The main reason that X keeps the formal nights is to sell $22.95 pictures.

Howard

No flaming from me as I'm in total agreement.....:):):)

Bob

Interesting- when we were on Summit in October, we were impressed at how well attired most people were in the MDR. The compliance rate on formal night was very high. I wonder if it's lower on the S class ships because there are more pax and choice of dining venues available?

I saw Carnival doesn't even have tablecloths anymore in the MDR. Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking if people aren't willing to dress for a nice dinner, the cruiseline is not going to provide the same experience.

We love formal night. Even my four year old asked me to buy him a tuxedo and asked every night if he could dress up for dinner. He got lots of compliments!

c2.jpg

Edited by SusieV

I appreciate all the input, but my biggest issue was not the people who were not dressed up, but rather the attitude of the mdr staff.

Isn't it sad... I had noticed the weakness to enforce policy as far back as 2008 and it may have been earlier..

For those who want to dress formal, go for it. For those who want to dress down, go for it. Most people cruise for the adventure and siteseeing. Some people like to dress to impress. I say good for you. But don't be critical of people who just want to have a good time. I just got off a Regent cruise were there are no formal nights. I'm hoping Celebrity follows Regent and Azamara's track. Most of us cruisers are retired and are not into dressing up. It's about how things are not how things look.

I'm hoping Celebrity follows Regent and Azamara's track.

well they are certainly beginning to price like them ;)..

I know Regent and Azamara dress codes are country club casual and those codes ARE enforced..

I wonder if Celebrity follows suit will they still allow shorts and flip flops???

Just because one is retired doesn't mean one has to dress like a slob

Edited by rucrazy

yep! it spoils the overall ambiance of the night.

It spoils the overall ambience...? Really. Don't let us dress downers rain on your parade. Enjoy yourself. Ignore those who like to just relax and travel without a tie. We're retired and threw our form wear away. If you like to dress formal go for it.

Celebrity keeps formal nights for people who still want to dress to impress but does not enforce the dress code because the majority of its cruisers don't want to dress to impress. Just take a count on formal nights and see just how many men wear a tux vs. smart casual.

Well, I'm on the fence, if formal is the attire, I will dress accordingly and if country casual is the dress code, I'll dress for that. But I don't want to go the MDR and see a bunch of rednecks in PJ's, and it looks like that's where we are headed.:D

Well, I'm on the fence, if formal is the attire, I will dress accordingly and if country casual is the dress code, I'll dress for that. But I don't want to go the MDR and see a bunch of rednecks in PJ's, and it looks like that's where we are headed.:D

tyvm!

Why don't they have 1 dining room for those that wish to "Dress" for formal night and 1 dining room for those who do not wish to "Dress" for formal night. That way no one feels awkward or out of place.

Formal portaits outside of the dining room.

I would be in the formal dining room....LOVE looking pretty :-)

Celebrity keeps formal nights for people who still want to dress to impress but does not enforce the dress code because the majority of its cruisers don't want to dress to impress. Just take a count on formal nights and see just how many men wear a tux vs. smart casual.

If you think that those that get dressed up are trying to impress, then I would assume that those that don't are looking for attention as well. I don't think either, I just think people want to feel good.

I don't get dressed up to impress anyone. I get dressed up on formal night because I enjoy dressing up. Now that I'm retired, I don't go to a lot of the formal affairs I went to when I worked, so this give me a chance to get dolled up. BTW, I don't think getting dressed up for a gentleman means a tux, a nice suite is just fine. There is nothing more sexy than to see a man in a nice suit, imho.