Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

It doesn't show signs of stopping, and I've brought some corn for popping...

and since we've nowhere to go, let 'em blow, let 'em blow, let 'em blow!

When they finally close this thread, how I'll hate going back to the boards,

but as long as more posts are made, all the night long they'll be floored!

Oh the fashion police are dying, but on formal night, they still are trying,

So as long as dressing up is so, let 'em blow, let 'em blow, let 'em blow!

(apologies to Sammy Cahn!!!)

Love it.:D

For those who want to dress formal, go for it. For those who want to dress down, go for it. Most people cruise for the adventure and siteseeing. Some people like to dress to impress. I say good for you. But don't be critical of people who just want to have a good time. I just got off a Regent cruise were there are no formal nights. I'm hoping Celebrity follows Regent and Azamara's track. Most of us cruisers are retired and are not into dressing up. It's about how things are not how things look.

Until that happens, respect the format that's currently in place or find another ship that works better for your lifestyle. Pretty simple I think.

They have provided plenty of places for people to dine who don't care to dress formally. I don't quite understand the attitude that everything in this world should be the same everywhere we go.

Good points but let me ask this. If there are plenty of places to dine, then why not have one formal night in the MDR and have the second in the buffet? Wouldn't that be 'fair' to all?

I no longer dress formally. With that said I also stay out of the areas where formal dress is requested out of respect for the guests that enjoy dressing up. This is why we enjoy the specialty restaurants. I do put on a sports coat in those venues on formal nights.

Edited by cruisingator2

A lively debate indeed! :D

I was actually looking forward to the formal evenings of our first ever cruise as I don't get to wear my tux often enough (and my wife is delighted as I'm typically out of town on business for the few black tie events I attend!). Now I'm imagining an "us and them" vibe which kind of takes the shine off the whole prospect :(.

A bit snarky I'd say. Have you ever sailed on Carnival because I have and I've NEVER seen a tank top or wife beater in the MDR.

We were on Carnival Breeze in April. There were all sorts of interesting articles of clothing in the MDR at dinner. I was shocked. T-shirts / shorts....even pajama bottoms! Also, a lot of baseball hats. Tacky tacky.

We enjoy the formal nights and enjoy getting dressed up as we don't do it often when at home. We too notice that the dress code is not enforced, however, we don't dwell on it and enjoy your evening regardless of what other people are doing.

The perfect attitude!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It doesn't show signs of stopping, and I've brought some corn for popping...

and since we've nowhere to go, let 'em blow, let 'em blow, let 'em blow!

When they finally close this thread, how I'll hate going back to the boards,

but as long as more posts are made, all the night long they'll be floored!

Oh the fashion police are dying, but on formal night, they still are trying,

So as long as dressing up is so, let 'em blow, let 'em blow, let 'em blow!

(apologies to Sammy Cahn!!!)

Why is it that the only ones on these threads who make fun of people (fashion Police) are those who criticize those who dress formal..... I don't care what you wear and I will abide by the dress code but on these threads it is always the non-formal dressers who make fun of people. I guess the internet is just too easy to anonymous.

A lively debate indeed! :D

I was actually looking forward to the formal evenings of our first ever cruise as I don't get to wear my tux often enough (and my wife is delighted as I'm typically out of town on business for the few black tie events I attend!). Now I'm imagining an "us and them" vibe which kind of takes the shine off the whole prospect :(.

Life on board is a whole lot more fun than reading some of the debate boards here on cruise critic. Don't let some of the debate vibe bring you down. The fact is that we all love cruising and have a great time on board.

Edited by Lsimon

On the dress code madness, Celebrity's doing a well balanced job trying to balance together the entitled primidona's with the colorful personalities.

I'm never surprised with the posters here and the OP really takes the cake.

Can you imagine someone actually taking the Maitre d through the MDR and pointing out all "those people" who don't measure up to his wacked out perspective and then on the very next night show up wearing shorts and flip flops??

Hopefully the luggage arrived with all the Meds. :D:D:D

Edited by Shake

What I cannot figure out when a rule is a rule vs. an optional suggestion. Dress codes? Chair hogging? Not letting people on/off the elevator? Letting people with mobility issues cue up first? Jumping the line at the buffet? Letting kids run amuck on the ship? Kids in the adult areas? Smoking on balconies?

While I think most of the above fall into the realm of common courtesy, I think the "I am going to do what I want" attitude bleeds into a lot of the areas.

I am one who thinks an effort should be made to follow the suggestions for the dress codes. I think my husband looks extra nice in his suit, I like dressing up to make the evening special. If you don't want to dress up, don't!

I appreciate the difficulty ithe dining room staff has. They are there for their customers and don't want to create a negative atmosphere by arguing. I would rather have people poorly dressed than hearing conflict.

Edited by MommaBear55

Some people take cruises based on itinerary not how many formal nights are scheduled. We personally treat cruise ships as floating hotels. We leave the ship early and return just before leaving port. After a long day touring ashore we are not into getting into formal dress. It's usually a drink before dinner, dinner then bed, repeat. On sea day we read and rest.

If cruise companies want to enforce a formal dress code they certainly could, but don't because the majority of cruiser's don't want to dress in formal attire. We've been on over 30 cruises and have never been turned down from dining on formal nights. We don't wear flip flops. Well, perhaps if I had sexy feet...

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in two months after years of cruising on Royal Caribbean. We certainly dress up with formal attire including my son. I think it is an excellent lesson in learning to dress to fit the circumstances. He's just turned 9 and in the first year of puberty already about 5'1" so he's between kids sizes and adult which makes his formal clothing a challenge. I had been thinking that I really need him in a full suit as we usually do, but now I think I shall do dress shirt and tie with dress pants and a suit vest. Hopefully no one will cringe at that option.

I no longer dress formally. With that said I also stay out of the areas where formal dress is requested out of respect for the guests that enjoy dressing up. This is why we enjoy the specialty restaurants. I do put on a sports coat in those venues on formal nights.

Bravo, I for one appreciate your thoughtfulness. If more people were considerate of others (like you) the world may be a happier place.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in two months after years of cruising on Royal Caribbean. We certainly dress up with formal attire including my son. I think it is an excellent lesson in learning to dress to fit the circumstances. He's just turned 9 and in the first year of puberty already about 5'1" so he's between kids sizes and adult which makes his formal clothing a challenge. I had been thinking that I really need him in a full suit as we usually do, but now I think I shall do dress shirt and tie with dress pants and a suit vest. Hopefully no one will cringe at that option.

Great to have him experience both cruise lines. RCCL is great for kids but Celebrity will give him an additonal level in life.

Edited by Shake

On the dress code madness, Celebrity's doing a well balanced job trying to balance together the entitled primidona's with the colorful personalities.

Can you imagine someone actually taking the Maitre d through the MDR and pointing out all "those people" who don't measure up to his wacked out perspective and then on the very next night show up wearing shorts and flip flops??

Agreed, it was taking the point a bit too far.:D

I am sure he will be fine dressed like that. I doubt anyone will cringe at a well dressed child on formal night even if he doesn't have a jacket.:D

Have a safe trip back to earth.......WOW.....talk about missing the boat.

The Philly Kid :(

animated-flame.gif

Ok, just kidding but I couldn't resist.

While I'm not happy seeing the decline of formal nights I really don't care. Anyone who can get away with it is free to do so. I try to make two points in the formal dress threads that I post on and here are the short versions:

Point one is the facts: There are some cruises where the dress codes are not enforced so there will always be stories about some who can get away with wearing anything or saw other people doing so. But there are some where it is enforced so men who do not at least have a dress jacket and matching appropriate clothing to wear should be prepared to be turned away as it can, and does, happen on some cruises. If one is not prepared for being turned away then the only way to be sure of avoiding it is to wear a jacket and dress clothing at a minimum.

Point two is my opinion, irrespective of the facts: I personally think that someone attending dinner in a venue where there is a dress code should follow it.

Personally, and individually, I don't care about getting all dressed up. But my DW does and I love the way that she looks on formal nights as well as the look on her face when I'm in a tux. For us it just sets a really nice tone for the evening and makes it a bit special.

Well said, both in tone and content as usual.

Thanks Larry.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Some adults are no more than little kids pushing the envelope to see what they can get away with..

When I grew up I was disappointed to learn that too many adults were no different than their younger playground selves. Can I go back to my childhood idealism of what 'being an adult' meant?

Why is it that the only ones on these threads who make fun of people (fashion Police) are those who criticize those who dress formal..... but on these threads it is always the non-formal dressers who make fun of people.

You mean like THIS...

I don't want to go the MDR and see a bunch of rednecks in PJ's

...or the previous poster who called people "tacky."

...or the previous poster who used the word "slob" in referring to retired people who didn't want to dress up.

...or the previous posters who infer that people are not "grown ups"

...or the previous poster who infers people who don't like formal dress or other options should pick another cruise line.

...or the previous poster who infers that more casual dressers belong on Carnival?

Yup, I guess I see what you mean.

Edited by teecee60

We were on Carnival Breeze in April. There were all sorts of interesting articles of clothing in the MDR at dinner. I was shocked. T-shirts / shorts....even pajama bottoms! Also, a lot of baseball hats. Tacky tacky.

I said I've never seen a tank top or wife beater on Carnival in the MDR - we were just on the Freedom in October and people were very nicely dressed on formal night. Shorts are allowed in the MDR on other nights. Hats is the dining room shouldn't be worn and I didn't see any except for a cowboy hat.

I said I've never seen a tank top or wife beater on Carnival in the MDR - we were just on the Freedom in October and people were very nicely dressed on formal night. Shorts are allowed in the MDR on other nights. Hats is the dining room shouldn't be worn and I didn't see any except for a cowboy hat.

The Steaks must be fresh then if they have cowboys aboard.:rolleyes:

I'm happy to hear that Reflection staff aren't being super snobbish.

I don't mind dressing up, but my partner finds it extremely uncomfortable. We plan to respect the printed code as best we can, but since we are traveling after the cruise and packing lite, wardrobe can be tricky. We'll be getting creative in that department, I'm sure. I guess life is pretty awesome though, when the biggest concern on ones mind could possibly be what apparel other people are sporting in your presence. Cheers to that, I guess!