Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

They have provided plenty of places for people to dine who don't care to dress formally. I don't quite understand the attitude that everything in this world should be the same everywhere we go.

And aren't most of those places either the buffet or places you have to pay for? Maybe that isn't the case but if it is why should the ones that don't want to wear a dress have to pay to eat or serve themselves in buffet food or even better hide away and eat in my room.

That said, I would not be one of those that has to push the dress code, if tuxes and dresses are the expectation then I would feel awkward not doing so and I agree that there is and ambiance that is lost otherwise. I just wish the feeling I get is that not to dress up is the ship exception

Edited by poffles

Why don't they have 1 dining room for those that wish to "Dress" for formal night and 1 dining room for those who do not wish to "Dress" for formal night. That way no one feels awkward or out of place.

Formal portaits outside of the dining room.

I would be in the formal dining room....LOVE looking pretty :-)

You read my mind. This way it is a choice for all concerned and the staff should 100% force the dress code if this existed.

And aren't most of those places either the buffet or places you have to pay for? Maybe that isn't the case but if it is why should the ones that don't want to wear a dress have to pay to eat or serve themselves in buffet food or even better hide away and eat in my room.

That said, I would not be one of those that has to push the dress code, if tuxes and dresses are the expectation then I would feel awkward not doing so and I agree that there is and ambiance that is lost otherwise. I just wish the feeling I get is that not to dress up is the ship exception

If one of those choices on Celebrity doesn't suit people maybe another cruise line would. That's the point. No matter how many options there are, people want Celebrity to be just another mediocre cruise line. It's a choice and it would be nice if there was still one left that operates like Celebrity. If they keep chipping away at all the little touches that have made Celebrity unique, I personally think it would be sad.

I sail a lot on Celebrity and the great majority of people do abide by the dress code.

Celebrity keeps formal nights for people who still want to dress to impress but does not enforce the dress code because the majority of its cruisers don't want to dress to impress. Just take a count on formal nights and see just how many men wear a tux vs. smart casual.

I gave up trying to impress people with my looks a long time ago. I think of dressing formal on formal nights, and following the dress code, more as respecting other people than an attempt to impress.

As far as counts: I think these are always subjective and people tend to see what they want to see in terms of the numbers. I've always thought that there was a vast majority respecting the dress code but perhaps that is because I notice more people dressed like I do and tend to socialize with them so I'm surrounding myself with similarly dressed people. For that reason I fully acknowledge that my estimate of the very large percentage of people dressing in compliance with the dress code might be overstated. But for the same reason I think posts which indicate huge numbers of people ignoring the dress code are pure nonsense - at least based on all the cruises I've been on.

I remember going on a Caribbean cruise two years ago (March 2012 Equinox) just after reading a thread challenging my observation that the majority of cruisers followed the dress code. I snapped a few pictures of crowds at the Martini Bar and by the entrance to the MDR just before second seating started to show how the crowds were dressed. Here are the photos:

i-mHrP3v3-S.jpgi-c93zMTH-S.jpgi-fnQqKM6-S.jpg

but I just have to call it like I see it. The main reason that X keeps the formal nights is to sell $22.95 pictures.

Howard

Whoosssh,

Seems like only one or two here got this point you were making.

After about 8 Celebrity Cruises I ventured on the Norwegian Breakaway as my extended family was going. I did not bring my tux and only a sports jacket as they have the "freestyle" cruising. I enjoy shorts, a tee shirt and flip flops on all cruises during the day, but showering and getting dressed up for dinner and the evening makes it feel special and I wish Celebrity would at least enforce their dress code at least on formal nights in the dining room. I understand how some people just want to dress casual all the time as that is why they take vacations. But if Celebrity is going the way of some other cruise lines then there is no longer any reason for loyalty.

I would tend to agree with Larry - on all the cruises we've been on, the VAST majority of cruisers are dressed for formal night. In fact, I haven't noticed any that weren't.

I'm sure there are some, but I don't really think it warrants the 'fuss' we're making of it. :(

I gave up trying to impress people with my looks a long time ago. I think of dressing formal on formal nights, and following the dress code, more as respecting other people than an attempt to impress.

As far as counts: I think these are always subjective and people tend to see what they want to see in terms of the numbers. I've always thought that there was a vast majority respecting the dress code but perhaps that is because I notice more people dressed like I do and tend to socialize with them so I'm surrounding myself with similarly dressed people. For that reason I fully acknowledge that my estimate of the very large percentage of people dressing in compliance with the dress code might be overstated. But for the same reason I think posts which indicate huge numbers of people ignoring the dress code are pure nonsense - at least based on all the cruises I've been on.

I remember going on a Caribbean cruise two years ago (March 2012 Equinox) just after reading a thread challenging my observation that the majority of cruisers followed the dress code. I snapped a few pictures of crowds at the Martini Bar and by the entrance to the MDR just before second seating started to show how the crowds were dressed. Here are the photos:

i-mHrP3v3-S.jpgi-c93zMTH-S.jpgi-fnQqKM6-S.jpg

Was this formal night?

Most people like to go along. The idea of what is formal night attire has changed. Years ago, formal night was tuxedos and long gowns. It was unusual to see anyone dressed in something different. Today, formal attire is loosely interpreted by many. I do not dress as formally as I did in the past. There are fewer places that require formal attire. If Celebrity wanted to enforce the formal attire, it would be hard for them to regulate. Especially when it comes to a woman's attire. Women can get away wearing most things. Definite no no are jeans, shorts, cotton tees, and rubber flupflops. I try to dress appropriately within reason. I do not buy new formal attire just for a cruise. I hate seeing ill fitted clothing worn in the name of formal wear. Please leave that old prom /brudesmaid dress home....or better still donate it. Wear clothes that fit.

Most people like to go along. The idea of what is formal night attire has changed. Years ago, formal night was tuxedos and long gowns. It was unusual to see anyone dressed in something different. Today, formal attire is loosely interpreted by many. I do not dress as formally as I did in the past. There are fewer places that require formal attire. If Celebrity wanted to enforce the formal attire, it would be hard for them to regulate. Especially when it comes to a woman's attire. Women can get away wearing most things. Definite no no are jeans, shorts, cotton tees, and rubber flupflops. I try to dress appropriately within reason. I do not buy new formal attire just for a cruise. I hate seeing ill fitted clothing worn in the name of formal wear. Please leave that old prom /brudesmaid dress home....or better still donate it. Wear clothes that fit.

Well, that certainly adds a whole new dimension to the discussion.

I wish you would have let me know you were going to start this thread so I could have popped some popcorn and enjoyed this monthly battle of the dress code that has been going on for years.

J.

I wish you would have let me know you were going to start this thread so I could have popped some popcorn and enjoyed this monthly battle of the dress code that has been going on for years.

J.

Happy to oblige.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

... I hate seeing ill fitted clothing worn in the name of formal wear. Please leave that old prom /brudesmaid dress home....or better still donate it. Wear clothes that fit.

I don't need it to be formal night to wear ill fitted clothing or out of date styles!

It's my cruise, I paid for it, and I can wear bad clothing any night I want to! :cool:

Just thought I would say that I love the formal nights and wish everyone would dress accordingly...but if they don't, that won't stop me!

I agree with you! We also enjoy dressing up- makes the evening really a special celebration- to us. We do not care what others wear- just that we feel good about how we look and enjoy the formal evenings.

This topic is always a hot button to many folks. I do not understand why. If you are comfortable the way you dress and that makes you feel good- enjoy.

I am curious - it seems that some itineraries lend themselves to a bit more adherence to dress code - particularly for formal nights. Is that true?

Would it be more likely that the dress code would be followed on a European itinerary than on a Caribbean cruise? How about Alaska? Or on a longer cruise compared to a a seven-day?

What about fixed seating versus open?

Do passengers tend to dress more formally under different sets of circumstances?

I just returned from a 7 day to St Thomas on NCL Epic and they had a dress up or not night and there were ALOT op that dress to the tee, actually there were a couple of nights like that. And there were photographers everywhere.

Celebrity keeps formal nights for people who still want to dress to impress but does not enforce the dress code because the majority of its cruisers don't want to dress to impress. Just take a count on formal nights and see just how many men wear a tux vs. smart casual.

We do not dress up to impress anybody else. We dress up because we enjoy it. DH does not wear a tux, but does wear a suit. I do believe that if Celebrity continues with the Formal Nights, then people should be expected to follow the dress code. If there are that many people that do not want to get dressed up on Formal Nights, then maybe Celebrity needs to rethink this option.

J.

It doesn't show signs of stopping, and I've brought some corn for popping...

and since we've nowhere to go, let 'em blow, let 'em blow, let 'em blow!

When they finally close this thread, how I'll hate going back to the boards,

but as long as more posts are made, all the night long they'll be floored!

Oh the fashion police are dying, but on formal night, they still are trying,

So as long as dressing up is so, let 'em blow, let 'em blow, let 'em blow!

(apologies to Sammy Cahn!!!)

Edited by teecee60

We are two who do not enjoy formal nights in regard to dressing as such. We wear what could be called country club casual, no jeans, shirts, flipflops, etc but I feel my clothing is not anyone's business. We pay the same as many, enjoy the cruise for the ports, and will continue to dress what I consider appropriately and dine in the MDR. We have no desire to have the buffet for evening meals.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Life is short and I'm of the belief that you need to make yourself happy. So on formal night if your choice is not formal there are several very nice options for your dining pleasure - if you want to go formal then the night in the MDR is deemed yours. Why does this issue have to be so divisive? Can't we as adults make the choice that fits us? But no - we have to have those on both sides that want to change the program only to their favor.

I'm going on a very special cruise to ME in February - my 20th Anniversary and trust you me - this wasn't our first "dance" ;) I'm 56 and it is never going to get better than this. I'm bringing evening gowns (not prom dresses) and dh will be in his diner jacket or tux - romantic - I sure do hope so. Please yourself but don't deny me the happiness that comes from my choice.

Life is short and I'm of the belief that you need to make yourself happy. So on formal night if your choice is not formal there are several very nice options for your dining pleasure - if you want to go formal then the night in the MDR is deemed yours. Why does this issue have to be so divisive? Can't we as adults make the choice that fits us? But no - we have to have those on both sides that want to change the program only to their favor.

I'm going on a very special cruise to ME in February - my 20th Anniversary and trust you me - this wasn't our first "dance" ;) I'm 56 and it is never going to get better than this. I'm bringing evening gowns (not prom dresses) and dh will be in his diner jacket or tux - romantic - I sure do hope so. Please yourself but don't deny me the happiness that comes from my choice.

Happy Anniversary! I am sure both of you will look elegant!

Enjoy

Interesting- when we were on Summit in October, we were impressed at how well attired most people were in the MDR. The compliance rate on formal night was very high. I wonder if it's lower on the S class ships because there are more pax and choice of dining venues available?

I saw Carnival doesn't even have tablecloths anymore in the MDR. Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking if people aren't willing to dress for a nice dinner, the cruiseline is not going to provide the same experience.

We love formal night. Even my four year old asked me to buy him a tuxedo and asked every night if he could dress up for dinner. He got lots of compliments!

In my experience most people do dress for the formal nights. I suppose most of those that do not dress formally are either not eating in the MDR or wandering around the ship when I am.:D