Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

Very interesting thread. We're sailing on Celebrity in late January, and look forward to the formal nights. I will not wear a Tux, but for sure a suit or dinner jacket & tie. Having read the thread it seems there are two camps. One that respects what is expected and desired, and one that feels rules or suggested rules are for others, but not them. I respect everyone's opinion on this issue, however to sign up for a cruise that has established guidelines and not respect them seems very arrogant to me. As others have suggested, we will enjoy our cruise regardless of how people are dressed in the MDR on formal nights. Yet it is confounding that those who accepted the the formal night rules when they signed up for the cruise, feel they have the right to ignore them.

Hi All,

I just wanted to say that I agree with what Host Anne and others have said, both on this thread, and the dozens of others I have perused over the years...but then, following a dress code comes easy for me. I spent 3 decades in a career(s) that had specific written dress codes and non-compliance resulted in immediate, and/or progressive discipline, up to and including termination. So, even after being retired for 5 years, I have no problem adhering to one. I am however also one of those folks that certain people sometimes comment negatively about on these boards...because I am a total shorts and t-shirt (usually long sleeve) kinda guy, so before, and after, all (and I do me ALL...as my wife and friends ensure we hit every portrait station :D) the formal portraits are taken, and dinner is done, I am quickly back in my normal attire for the rest of the evening !!

However...my take is a bit different than others...Since I truly don't care what others wear, and it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on my enjoyment of dinner in the MDR, or any other time onboard...I therefore truly don't care and don't even concern myself as to whether or not Celebrity enforces their dress code...I can only be responsible for my own actions and behavior...and I will enjoy my time with family, friends and new-found friends every moment onboard !

Enjoy cruising everyone...and if you see me onboard, whether in Tux/Suit or shorts and t-shirt...say Hello and join me for a cocktail ! (of course, if you see me in Tux/Suit and we are going to enjoy a cocktail, I'll have to make a quick pit-stop at my cabin to change first !!:D )

Woody

Woody, you have the right attitude!!

I, too, like to get a bit 'gussied up' on formal night, but I do not let the dress of others interfere with my enjoyment of the night. I dress for my own enjoyment.

DH gets very annoyed when people drive slowly in the left lane. I ask him why? He says "do you think it's right for them to drive slowly in the PASSING lane?" I respond by saying, "no, but it's not your job to tell them what they can/can't do". Me, I just travel in the right lane - which I have all to myself!!

The same is with formal dress in the MDR. It is NOT your responsibility to tell people how to dress. That is the job of X and the enforcement is up to their staff. Just as police ignore those that drive slowly in the left lane, X ignores those that do not adhere to 'formal' attire in the MDR.

If you feel the need to complain, do to directly to X. Complaining on these boards will not resolve your complaints. (and has been discussed ad nauseum!!)

I should recant my last comment. Not everyone is disrespectful. But many are these days. Not trying to start a war. Really, I'm not. Thanks, Mic.

Not to start a war, but I do agree- if you sign up and it is defined what the dress code is- respect it-

In any event, it shouldn't stop anybody from enjoying their cruise.

Nothing like starting a food fight. I would rather not sail with people that wear tank tops and flip flops in the MDR. As well I think it is silly in this day and age to wear a tux or suit. If you want to dress like a penguin try the Cunard Line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree with you regarding not wanting to dine in the MDR with flip flops, etc. My point is to not make a claim that Carnival is the only one allowing it when the focus of this thread is that it was rampant on a Celebrity cruise. In fact, I've been on several Carnival cruises and I don't recall people in the MDR in flip flops or tank tops.

I was on the same cruise with the OP and can second the observations. This cruise had the most folks not adhering to the dress code on formal night.

I don't care what anyone else wears at any time. Has no effect on me or my enjoyment of the evening.

BUT...this whole dress code thing for me comes down to respect! We've totally lost it. If the request is to dress a certain way in the main dining room, it's respectful to follow the request. Other venues are available if you don't want to follow the request.

Why is everyone so disrespectful?

How do you know that the lack of followers to the dress code weren't doing what the OP did when he "....decided to wear a golf shirt, shorts and flip flops to dinner, to try and see what would happen." :p

Maybe there were so many Cruise Critic members aboard 'testing" the dress code that this cruise was a statistical abnormality? :rolleyes::p

431025_10150683090823566_194340658565_9373502_761913125_n.jpg

Ok here is a flame. I don't care how your dress, it won't affect my meal. I wouldn't go up to the matre'd and have him follow me and start counting people who were not dressed appropriate enough for you. I do not go to formal, because I do not dress up, but I would not want some Penquin coming down and pointing fingers at whos dress appropiate or not. Eat your meal enjoy your company and don't let someones clothing ruin your dinner, the last I check I don't eat wool or cotton with my meal.

Here! Here!

I wonder what your DW was doing while you were scolding the MD. It would be nice if people, especially on vacation, minded their own business and spent quality time with their loved ones rather than focusing on judging others.

Very interesting thread. We're sailing on Celebrity in late January, and look forward to the formal nights. I will not wear a Tux, but for sure a suit or dinner jacket & tie. Having read the thread it seems there are two camps. One that respects what is expected and desired, and one that feels rules or suggested rules are for others, but not them. I respect everyone's opinion on this issue, however to sign up for a cruise that has established guidelines and not respect them seems very arrogant to me. As others have suggested, we will enjoy our cruise regardless of how people are dressed in the MDR on formal nights. Yet it is confounding that those who accepted the the formal night rules when they signed up for the cruise, feel they have the right to ignore them.

Arrogant, yes that sums up my feeling about those that thumb thier noses at the rules. What people wear, for me is not the issue, it is the attitude that the rules don't appy to them. The picture on this thread kinda sums it up.

Arrogant, yes that sums up my feeling about those that thumb thier noses at the rules. What people wear, for me is not the issue, it is the attitude that the rules don't appy to them. The picture on this thread kinda sums it up.

My feelings exactly.

How do you know that the lack of followers to the dress code weren't doing what the OP did when he "....decided to wear a golf shirt, shorts and flip flops to dinner, to try and see what would happen." :p

Maybe there were so many Cruise Critic members aboard 'testing" the dress code that this cruise was a statistical abnormality? :rolleyes::p

431025_10150683090823566_194340658565_9373502_761913125_n.jpg

Even if ALL the Cruise Critic members were "testing this out" (and they weren't because I saw many of them on formal nights), that would only be a little more than 100 people. I don't think any others but the OP tried this test. :)

Fraud alert!

This picture is taken onboard a Carnival Fantasy Class ship, and NOT onboard Celebrity Reflection...

This picture just depicts some young folks having a blast of a time on a Fun ship during their holidays, and good for them!

Investigates first before judging please.

Fraud alert!

This picture is taken onboard a Carnival Fantasy Class ship, and NOT onboard Celebrity Reflection...

This picture just depicts some young folks having a blast of a time on a Fun ship during their holidays, and good for them!

Investigates first before judging please.

Yes, I knew it was not from a X ship but wondered if it was even from a formal night. Very much doubt it.:D

I agree with you regarding not wanting to dine in the MDR with flip flops, etc. My point is to not make a claim that Carnival is the only one allowing it when the focus of this thread is that it was rampant on a Celebrity cruise. In fact, I've been on several Carnival cruises and I don't recall people in the MDR in flip flops or tank tops.

I am sure you are right. To be honest, I have never been on a Carnival Cruise and am not in the least bit interested. It's all fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are no formal nights on Carnival, only optional Elegant Nights.

Please focus on Celebrity and not Carnival the picture was,taken onboard a Carnival vessel.

I have never sailed Carnival, but I have certainly seen some poorly dressed people turning up at functions when they were supposed to be dressed well. The worst thing is when they were turned away by security/staff, they then complain when they cannot get in.:D

Ok here is a flame. I don't care how your dress, it won't affect my meal. I wouldn't go up to the matre'd and have him follow me and start counting people who were not dressed appropriate enough for you. I do not go to formal, because I do not dress up, but I would not want some Penquin coming down and pointing fingers at whos dress appropiate or not. Eat your meal enjoy your company and don't let someones clothing ruin your dinner, the last I check I don't eat wool or cotton with my meal.

I have no problem with you dressing up, it is your cruise, I do not wear a tux, but some times a jacket, or maybe not, but I always look better, than most in ill fitting suits bought just for the cruise, a waste of good beer money for many.

This is not the Titanic era, where everyone dressed in suits etc, and only the extreme rich could afford to cruise above the water line.

I have no problem with you dressing up, it is your cruise, I do not wear a tux, but some times a jacket, or maybe not, but I always look better, than most in ill fitting suits bought just for the cruise, a waste of good beer money for many.

This is not the Titanic era, where everyone dressed in suits etc, and only the extreme rich could afford to cruise above the water line.

I think "too much beer money" is the reason for suits and formal clothes that do not fit! LOL:)

I was on the same cruise with the OP and can second the observations. This cruise had the most folks not adhering to the dress code on formal night.

I don't care what anyone else wears at any time. Has no effect on me or my enjoyment of the evening.

BUT...this whole dress code thing for me comes down to respect! We've totally lost it. If the request is to dress a certain way in the main dining room, it's respectful to follow the request. Other venues are available if you don't want to follow the request.

Why is everyone so disrespectful?

The reality is that if a dress request is not what people want, if it is outdated to current culture, it is disrespectful to request it. People will ignore it and that is what is happening more and more. I used to feel like you. I obediently followed the request even though I did not care for it. My mind has changed because it is obvious you can't force people to do follow a formal dress code they don't want. That is why Celebrity does not enforce formal dress. It is a lost cause unless people want to dress that way. I don't think everyone is disrespectful of the code. Many do dress as requested. However it is obvious that more disregard it every year. It is disregared because it is passé.

The reality is that if a dress request is not what people want, if it is outdated to current culture, it is disrespectful to request it. People will ignore it and that is what is happening more and more. I used to feel like you. I obediently followed the request even though I did not care for it. My mind has changed because it is obvious you can't force people to do follow a formal dress code they don't want. That is why Celebrity does not enforce formal dress. It is a lost cause unless people want to dress that way. I don't think everyone is disrespectful of the code. Many do dress as requested. However it is obvious that more disregard it every year. It is disregared because it is passé.

Sorry but I cannot agree. If the Host (X in this case) makes a request then it is disrespectful to ignore it. If you don't like it the respectful thing is to stay away.

There is no host in this case. We are customers of a cruise line selling a leisure vacation product.

I agree, but there is a website, which sometimes works, that has the dress code plainly explained. It is available prior to booking, and people should govern themselves accordingly. Howard