Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

I've 3 formal nights on my next cruise and dh and I are going full out - our choice for a 20th Anniversary. We'll also do 5 or 6 nights of cocktail attire and rest resort chic. Our choice - because we enjoy it. :D I really don't understand the issue with those that do not wish to dress formal - so don't - you have many options for your dining pleasure - pick one and enjoy your more casual attire - why try to down grade the experience for the rest of us?

With Select dining some evenings we join with others at a table and some evenings we have a table for 2. I think it might feel very odd to be put at a table while in full evening gown and dinner jacket or tux - with those that might not even be wearing a jacket. :(

On a side note - many pages back someone made a snarky reference to "prom" dresses. I can't speak for all the ladies but I can tell you that the evening gowns I've seen on Celebrity are of current fashion and trust me - they do not come cheap. Given what X will reimburse for lost luggage - which wouldn't cover the cost of even 1 gown - I'm opting to hand carry mine on and off. :cool:

There is no host in this case. We are customers of a cruise line selling a leisure vacation product.

That is rubbish, of course there is a host.

X is providing a formal night on the cruise, so they are the host and have dress rules applicable.

If you went to a charity ball (black tie event), you are still a customer as you are paying for the privilege of attending the event, would you show up not dressed appropriately?

I've 3 formal nights on my next cruise and dh and I are going full out - our choice for a 20th Anniversary. We'll also do 5 or 6 nights of cocktail attire and rest resort chic. Our choice - because we enjoy it. :D I really don't understand the issue with those that do not wish to dress formal - so don't - you have many options for your dining pleasure - pick one and enjoy your more casual attire - why try to down grade the experience for the rest of us?

With Select dining some evenings we join with others at a table and some evenings we have a table for 2. I think it might feel very odd to be put at a table while in full evening gown and dinner jacket or tux - with those that might not even be wearing a jacket. :(

On a side note - many pages back someone made a snarky reference to "prom" dresses. I can't speak for all the ladies but I can tell you that the evening gowns I've seen on Celebrity are of current fashion and trust me - they do not come cheap. Given what X will reimburse for lost luggage - which wouldn't cover the cost of even 1 gown - I'm opting to hand carry mine on and off. :cool:

Good on you for enjoying yourself within the dress codes. Congrats on your impending 20th wedding anniversary.

Any restaurant or venue may have its rules to which any patron has to abide by.

Very simple really.

Don't like it? Then choose another venue.

So to claim that there is no host IS indeed rubbish, it is not about disagreeing, it is about simple truth.

By the way, the Captain IS legally the host on any ship or aircraft.;)

For those who want to dress formal, go for it. For those who want to dress down, go for it. Most people cruise for the adventure and siteseeing. Some people like to dress to impress. I say good for you. But don't be critical of people who just want to have a good time. I just got off a Regent cruise were there are no formal nights. I'm hoping Celebrity follows Regent and Azamara's track. Most of us cruisers are retired and are not into dressing up. It's about how things are not how things look.

I agree 100%! I love to cruise and I think it should be up to the individual to dress as they wish. We are grown-ups and should know if our mode of dress is appropriate. Smart casual and cruising seem to naturally go together. The main thing is that you enjoy your cruise and you don't worry about other people.

Lew

I agree 100%! I love to cruise and I think it should be up to the individual to dress as they wish. We are grown-ups and should know if our mode of dress is appropriate. Smart casual and cruising seem to naturally go together. The main thing is that you enjoy your cruise and you don't worry about other people.

Lew

I think that this thread and its many previous iterations clearly demonstrate that this isn't the case. The purpose of the dress code is to provide an objective standard' date=' but many passengers seek to impose a subjective standard based on their personal tastes. [/size']

The reality is that if a dress request is not what people want, if it is outdated to current culture, it is disrespectful to request it. People will ignore it and that is what is happening more and more. I used to feel like you. I obediently followed the request even though I did not care for it. My mind has changed because it is obvious you can't force people to do follow a formal dress code they don't want. That is why Celebrity does not enforce formal dress. It is a lost cause unless people want to dress that way. I don't think everyone is disrespectful of the code. Many do dress as requested. However it is obvious that more disregard it every year. It is disregared because it is passé.

I actually think this is a very fair and observant interpretation of what is now taking place in the MDR on all cruiselines.. As I've stated before, we are currently in a "transitional" stage of imposing formal wear on cruise guests.. As time goes on, my prediction is that they will no longer require, request, or even suggest, formal wear in order to be allowed into the dining room... they will just offer formal wear as an "option" on those nights designated as "smart casual / formal optional"....

- Rick

Edited by Rick-cruiser

If Formal is NOT a suit/Tux what is it?

Smart Casual, Elegant/Business/Country Club/etc., whatever they call it, is short sleeve shirt with slacks. If we agree on this definition as Smart Casual, then Formal cannot be short sleeve shirt with slacks. JMHO!

We're you a child bride? :D

Seriously, we've heard all types of excuses and rationilizations, but the simple truth is there's a part of American society that feels a sense of entitlement. They feel they've paid for their cruise and they can do as they please. I feel they're part of the "dumbing down" of America. You never see this attitude in europe or other countries. They know there are other venues to eat at on formal nights, but they have a blatant disregard for anyone else. Whether it's the passengers or for the cruise line, who's just trying to keep formal in Formal Night. Go ahead and flame me, but the truth is the truth.

Edited by SHill64

I would like to see Celebrity do their part in making formal nights special again......the classical quartet playing during dinner, and really 'special occassion' food offerings in the MDR such as beef tenderloin and excellent lobster tails, the way they used to. They need to hold their end up as well. Formal night should not only be about dressing up.

Sorry folks but this is a cruise board, not a Con Law board. Several off topic posts have been removed.

Thank you Host Walt! These "hot" topics will not get settled here and many times get ugly.

I might even suggest that a sticky be added saying that threads about formal night, smoking and tips are not allowed.....they have been debated to death!!!!

I would like to see Celebrity do their part in making formal nights special again......the classical quartet playing during dinner, and really 'special occassion' food offerings in the MDR such as beef tenderloin and excellent lobster tails, the way they used to. They need to hold their end up as well. Formal night should not only be about dressing up.

Both of these items have been back on our last few cruises.

They had Beef Tenderloin and Lobster Tails on my Equinox cruise in October.

Sorry folks but this is a cruise board, not a Con Law board. Several off topic posts have been removed.

Thanks Walt,

My point from the beginning was and still is the fact that the staff on board should be armed with ammunition to uphold the dress code which is posted on line, in the cruise documents, and should be inserted into the daily paper that is in your stateroom nightly......or the cruise line should rethink their policies.

I have a perfect example of a policy change similar to what celebrity has in effect. I belong to the masons and the reason that I own 2+ tuxedos or as my wife calls them penguin suits, so I brought one on our cruise. Our grand lodge in Pennsylvania got a lot of feedback a few years ago from our members and in turn the removed the tie requirement for our members. A lot of the older members balked at the loosening of the rules, but gave in to the policy change. Celebrity should do one of 3 things...a. keep the dress code and police it. B...change the dress code to something less formal. C...keep the current dress code and not police it, make it suggested only. I would be fine with any of the 3 choices as long as they do something.

CELEBRITY DO SOMETHING.

Howard

Enjoying reading this thread on pros/cons of formal dress. The thing that really makes it enjoyable is I'm in my Tux waiting for my wife to finish so we can head off to our formal holiday party, thrown by our pirate crew I'm a member of!

Just love it. One event we dress like pirates in rags and striped outfits, the next is formal.....and it's run by us guys. You never know, considering the ones on these threads who hate formal dress are 90% guys.

Always get a kick out of the comments that "I wear a coat and tie at work so I won't on vacation". Which can be interpreted: "I wear a coat and tie when I'm paid to do it, but won't for my wife".

So no, wearing formal gear isn't a throwback to the Titanic days, it's what some of us do now, and enjoy it. What's so nice is there are so many options. Formal and leisure on Celebrity.

All enjoy whatever makes you happy.

Den

That's good to hear, because they had been gone for quite awhile. Was the beef and lobster of high quality?

The beef was very good. The lobster was like all cruise ship lobster. It's not Maine Lobster like you get in land based restaurants that has been swimming around in a tank before you order it.

That's carnival. :D

Strange. In looking over your cruise history you don't seem to have any experience with Carnival so how would you know how they dress in the MDR? Or are you just incapable of independent thought?

I've been on both lines and haven't detected a difference in the way people are dressed in the MDR but have to confess I haven't seen too many tuxs on Carnival. But for the most part the dress is the same.