Need a cabin with TUB, any advice?

imshirlee

Anybody know if Royal Caribbean ever upgrades for medical reasons? I've booked two cabins for the Jan 4th sailing out of San Juan on Jewel of the Seas, one for my hubby and myself and one for my son and wife. I have RA and Fibromyalgia and need a cabin with a TUB. Soaking in a tub of warm water is the only way I can really get going in the morning. We've cruised many times but was prior to my medical problems so never had a need for a Tub.

I called my travel agent and was told that if I want a tub, I'll have to pay an additional $700.00 and upgrade to a suite. We are booked in a cabin with balcony on 8th deck.

Are the rules on these cruise ships carved in stone? I don't mind paying extra to get a cabin with a tub but $700 is too much.

Any suggestions?

(Hope this is not a duplicate post, posted earlier but never saw it on here)

Anybody know if Royal Caribbean ever upgrades for medical reasons? I've booked two cabins for the Jan 4th sailing out of San Juan on Jewel of the Seas, one for my hubby and myself and one for my son and wife. I have RA and Fibromyalgia and need a cabin with a TUB. Soaking in a tub of warm water is the only way I can really get going in the morning. We've cruised many times but was prior to my medical problems so never had a need for a Tub.

I called my travel agent and was told that if I want a tub, I'll have to pay an additional $700.00 and upgrade to a suite. We are booked in a cabin with balcony on 8th deck.

Are the rules on these cruise ships carved in stone? I don't mind paying extra to get a cabin with a tub but $700 is too much.

Any suggestions?

Realistically, if you need this type accommodations, you need to be prepared to pay the difference to get an upgraded cabin level, otherwise, maybe a cruise is not what you need to consider as a vacation. Sorry, but that is the way it is...

David:D

OP, definitely get in touch with Special Needs Department. No one here can really help you, I don't think. The link below will give you an e-mail address and more information.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Accessibility+&faqId=4510&faqSubjectId=414&faqType=faq <---click here

I would be very surprised if this results in anything other than pointing the OP to purchasing an upgrade cabin...

David:D

Perhaps, but he came here for help so we shall help him. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

A JS will be the smallest "suite" with a tub. All HC cabins will have showers, only, sufficient for wheelchair access. That doesn't sound like what you need.

Some other cruiselines (HAL) do have tubs in standard cabins.

Edited by cb at sea

I also have RA and OA would love to be able to have a bath, I'm happy it's a walk in shower I can't get in or out a tub, were going in January too but on freedom. Ive been worrying about other things, like getting on and off tenders, etc. Hope you have a good time and get something sorted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should also know that the accessible Junior Suites do NOT have a tub.

However, all of the accessible cabins (suites, balcony, ocean view, and interior) have seats in the shower. Would sitting in a warm shower work for you? My wife lives with RA and she finds sitting in the warm shower even better than stepping over the side of the tub and then bending all the way down to sit in a tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

OP - I also think you are going to have to pay the price for an upgrade.

Should everyone with a medical condition, or special needs, travelling on a cruise ship be given what they want/need without paying?

Don't mean to sound rude or insensitive, but ... .

I'm claustrophobic and booked an inside.....can I get a balcony for medical reasons!

Geeez

Agreed, but you´d also Need the Royal Suite, because those other cabins are still so tiny;)

I also agree with the OP´s TA. If she needs a cabin with a tub, she needs to book one and fork over the money.

Any suggestions?

I have RA too. and the tub sides are HIGH.. I gave myself a nice bruise trying to get out of the tub in the GS. the step down is pretty major( the level of the tub is higher than the floor).

they will NOT upgrade for medical reasons.. you must book the cabin you need/want.

I have RA too. and the tub sides are HIGH.. I gave myself a nice bruise trying to get out of the tub in the GS. the step down is pretty major( the level of the tub is higher than the floor).

they will NOT upgrade for medical reasons.. you must book the cabin you need/want.

ITA. We sail in suites but those tubs make it very difficult for me as I also have arthritis (hoping my new hip will make it a bit easier). Maybe one day we can get an OS with a shower stall. OP might try some Advil a half hour before getting up which is what I do. Free upgrade? Not at all likely.

Simply stated, since I also travel with someone disabled, Don't purchase anything less than what you are willing to settle with and expect to get an upgrade. You may be very disappointed and uncomfortable. Get an AX cabin. If you can sit in a chair, you can use the shower in an accessible unit.

Any suggestions?

Definitely NO free upgrades handed out for medical reasons. In all the years of cruising with a disability do to MS have never received an upgrade for medical reasons because I don't won't to pay the cost for the room that best suits my needs. It's totally unrealistic of you to expect any cruise line ,not just RCCL, to do that.

Those of us with disabilities book the cabin that best suits our needs and expect to pay accordingly. If the cost is too much than we rethink the dates of the cruise.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I often travel with somebody who has MS and another with severe medical issues, so I am well versed in considering their needs when booking travel. I agree with the others. You will need to pay for what you need. It stinks, but that usually means paying more.

Otherwise, you could just book and pay for the cheapest inside and then demand a medical upgrade (even though there isn't such a thing) to a junior suite. However accommodating they may be for disabled travelers, RCCL is still a business, not a charity.

ITA. We sail in suites but those tubs make it very difficult for me as I also have arthritis (hoping my new hip will make it a bit easier). Maybe one day we can get an OS with a shower stall. OP might try some Advil a half hour before getting up which is what I do. Free upgrade? Not at all likely.

what kind of hip? I need BOTH done and am beginning to do my research esp since Tricare is not the most flexible of insurance policies.....