Upgrades

Scrapnana

I did a search on upgrades but most of the posts dealt with how to get them. I want to know if you are offered an upgrade (rather than HAL just giving you one) and given a choice to accept or decline. I know this happens with an upsell but what about an upgrade?

You do not have an opportunity to accept or decline a free upgrade, it is just done and you are told about it.

I've read (here) of a few cases where the person was able to get the upgrade retracted when they didn't like the outcome, but those are rare. If you don't tell HAL "do not upgrade" you are giving them the right to put you where they want.

What has been said is true -- you really don't get a choice if you want the upgrade or not.

As a rule when HAL has given the upgrade, they have also upgraded someone else to your cabin category.

In essence you really don't know what your guaranteed cabin would have been thus you are taking a gamble with the guarantee that you will get a god upgrade.

Some people have not liked their upgrades (very rare) and a few have asked to be left in their guaranteed category and their wish was granted -- very rare.

On several occasions we have turned down “upgrades” that were offered. There is one particular inside cabin on the Amsterdam that we really like.

In one specific case we were told at embarkation “Great news, you have been upgraded to an oceanview cabin amidships on the same deck as your original inside cabin reservation.” We replied “no thank you.” We were then told that someone else had already been moved into our previously reserved cabin so there was no possibility not accepting the upgrade. We simply responded “Wrong!!!, we had a ‘no upgrade’ request with our reservation.”

The final outcome was we simply waited a half hour while the passenger in our previously reserved cabin was packed up and moved to some other location.

Scott & Karen

And the people who were moved were probably thrilled to get the ocean view cabin. It's a win-win for both couples.

Whenever we have booked guaranteed cabins on HAL, we have received our cabin assignments within two weeks of sailing. We have never tried to get our assignment changed. Once on Princess we did request an available cabin in the same category after receiving our guarantee assignment. But with that cruise, we had received the assignment a few months before the cruise and there were lots of cabins showing up as available.

Thanks for the answers. I think I will just say, "no upgrade". Just thought of another question. If you say "no upgrade" is it still possible to get an upsell offer?

Yes..... you still could receive an upsell offer.

What has been said is true -- you really don't get a choice if you want the upgrade or not.

As a rule when HAL has given the upgrade, they have also upgraded someone else to your cabin category.

In essence you really don't know what your guaranteed cabin would have been thus you are taking a gamble with the guarantee that you will get a god upgrade.

Some people have not liked their upgrades (very rare) and a few have asked to be left in their guaranteed category and their wish was granted -- very rare.

On our recent Noordam cruise we had a SY guarantee and they assigned us to a SS (Deck 8 pre 21 Mar 2014) which we did not want because it was under the pool deck. A SY on deck 6 (pre 21 Mar 2014) was available and we asked to be assigned to it. Asked why we wanted the downgrade, explained the pool deck and they downgraded us.

After 20 Mar 2014 the SS suites become SY suites and the SY suites become SS suites so deck 6 suites are a higher category than the deck 8 suites.

My last HAL cruise I booked a VF gty and was upgraded to a VA. No one called, and we were happy with this.

This next cruise, we booked a VF gty, were upgraded to a VB gty, and are still waiting assignment. We also received an upsell offer, but turned it down as we did not feel the amount offered was worth it. We are hoping for a second (lower) upsell offer.:)

Just thought of another question. If you say "no upgrade" is it still possible to get an upsell offer?

Heck, if you say "no upgrades", it's still possible to get one. Happened to me.

I was thrilled to go from an outside to a balcony cabin, but very upset to lose my shower-only cabin to one with a tub. :(