A Little Meow Mix

tcieyes

Just of Enchantment 4 day. Of course lots of food everywhere but... I miss the old menus. Did not dine in main dining room at all b/c read menus and was not thrilled... more like yuk... No "real" indian curry anymore in Windjammer, no warm chocolate cake in Windjammer or rice pudding, no pumpkin soup, remember that from Monarch! No packets of hot chocolate! No chocolate milk, new tea tastes terrible...It was 45 degrees in Florida the day we boarded. Did really enjoy the Turkey dinner in the Windjammer. I am Loyal to Royal but the cutbacks are becoming painful, and I have only been Cruzin for last 5 years. No dinner with Captain, now it is breakfast at 8:30 AM on Sea Day, I was not going there. Is it just this ship or is it fleet wide and what can we do to bring back the favorites? I am starting to consider jumping ship! :eek:

Guest maddycat
Just of Enchantment 4 day. Of course lots of food everywhere but... I miss the old menus. Did not dine in main dining room at all b/c read menus and was not thrilled... more like yuk... No "real" indian curry anymore in Windjammer, no warm chocolate cake in Windjammer or rice pudding, no pumpkin soup, remember that from Monarch! No packets of hot chocolate! No chocolate milk, new tea tastes terrible...It was 45 degrees in Florida the day we boarded. Did really enjoy the Turkey dinner in the Windjammer. I am Loyal to Royal but the cutbacks are becoming painful, and I have only been Cruzin for last 5 years. No dinner with Captain, now it is breakfast at 8:30 AM on Sea Day, I was not going there. Is it just this ship or is it fleet wide and what can we do to bring back the favorites? I am starting to consider jumping ship! :eek:

When we were on the Explorer in Nov. there was hot chocolate in the Promenade Cafe and in the Windjammer. I agree with you about the tea..... it's awful.

Edited by maddycat

Taste is just so subjective. To me the now not so new anymore menus are not only a welcome Change but also a step up and far from a cut back.

Of course there´s always a few items I might "miss" from the old menus, but a Little Change spices up life and in Exchange I get some new items to enjoy.

Taste is just so subjective. To me the now not so new anymore menus are not only a welcome Change but also a step up and far from a cut back.

Of course there´s always a few items I might "miss" from the old menus, but a Little Change spices up life and in Exchange I get some new items to enjoy.

concur. I loved the old menu but found PLENTY on the new ones that I love just as well. ( okay so I mourned the loss of the onion tart like everyone else)

My guess is with the weather being so icky the Hot choccie went faster and they either ran out or just were not replenishing them quite fast enough. never hurts to ask! The tea.. okay yeah i might agree with the tea comment but I am snobbish..I typically brew mine loose in a diffuser.

With EN doing the short itineraries now I really think they did scale back the little luxuries . when she sailed out of Baltimore we had all those things you missed.

What do you mean "No dinner with Captain, now it is breakfast at 8:30 AM on Sea Day, I was not going there"?

If you ate in the WJ, what exactly are you talking about? What breakfast? We never eat dinner in the WJ, but I have also seen hot chocolate packets on every trip. The menus changed over a year ago.

As for the 45 degrees in FL, why is that RCI's issue? It's December and it does get that cold there sometimes.

I am Loyal to Royal but the cutbacks are becoming painful, and I have only been Cruzin for last 5 years. No dinner with Captain, now it is breakfast at 8:30 AM on Sea Day, I was not going there. Is it just this ship or is it fleet wide and what can we do to bring back the favorites? I am starting to consider jumping ship! :eek:

Look before you jump.

Are you really serious or is this a joke post?

Check out the MASSIVE CUTBACKS ON CARNIVAL.

You speak of dinner with the captain on a 4 night cruise???

How many points do you have on RCCL?

Edited by yogimax

We were on EN in October with our 7Y/O GS, and never had any problem finding cocoa packets. They make great chocolate milk BTW. IMO, a lot better than what comes in the cartons. As for tea, there was always a good selection up in the park café and in the MDR, so I'm surprised you couldn't find any good teas in the WJ.

Look before you jump.

You speak of dinner with the captain on a 4 night cruise???

How many points do you have on RCCL?

I feel the OP's pain there. Captain Sullivan always hosted a table on Monarch's 3/4 nighters, and other Captains (and HD John Denton) also did so after she moved to PC. We miss being invited to the Big Table for dinner - that honor is increasingly reserved for suite and other "revenue" guests. Athough we have always enjoyed our "meal with an officer," it's not the same. But we'll get over it one of these days.;).

I feel the OP's pain there. Captain Sullivan always hosted a table on Monarch's 3/4 nighters, and other Captains (and HD John Denton) also did so after she moved to PC. We miss being invited to the Big Table for dinner - that honor is increasingly reserved for suite and other "revenue" guests. Athough we have always enjoyed our "meal with an officer," it's not the same. But we'll get over it one of these days.;).

Since the OP stated that they never ate in the MDR, they would have no way of knowing whether the Captain hosted a table there or not. The argument they made that since there was a top tier breakfast with the officers there wasn't a hosted table at dinner was purely a post hoc assumption.

Since the OP stated that they never ate in the MDR, they would have no way of knowing whether the Captain hosted a table there or not. The argument they made that since there was a top tier breakfast with the officers there wasn't a hosted table at dinner was purely a post hoc assumption.

I read it that that OP wasn't invited to dine with the Captain, not that there wasn't a table. Perhaps s/he would come back and clarify.

HI, Well it seems as if I offended some cruisers out there, so Merry Christmas... in the spirit of good will. I am very happy for those of you that are pleased about the new menus. To clarify, we were suite guests, in a Grand Suite. Multiple friends did dine in the main dining room on the first night, and said they too wished they did not order what they did for dinner, then converted to WJ. We had casual conversations with many cruisers, about ports and things in the ever crowded WJ in evenings at dinner.. sharing tables, and many people spontaneously expressed disappointment about the main dining menus or quality... we did not start that conversation. The post is not in jest. Things that have been standard on other RCCL cruises were not on this one. My point was that on the former Aged Monarch, the standards were maintained higher than those on the less old Enchantment on same duration and same cruise itinerary. Example: Last January 2013 on Monarch everything was there... new menus were in place (correct?), Then in Dec 13 things cited were not there on Enchantment. We attributed that to cutbacks. We certainly don't blame anything on RCCL, especially not the weather, we were hoping for hot cocoa on a pre-Christmas cruise in colds weather, so we went and bought some at the coffee shop. Then by the time we got to and thru the WJ at breakfast and got a seat, it was cold... We do hope that they will maintain standards across the fleet, even on the shorter cruises. Sometimes you are so busy at work that one cannot go on a 7 day or longer. We really miss the Curry tremendously. I have seen they do still have it on Freedom, from the posts.

HI, Well it seems as if I offended some cruisers out there, so Merry Christmas... in the spirit of good will. I am very happy for those of you that are pleased about the new menus. To clarify, we were suite guests, in a Grand Suite. Multiple friends did dine in the main dining room on the first night, and said they too wished they did not order what they did for dinner, then converted to WJ. We had casual conversations with many cruisers, about ports and things in the ever crowded WJ in evenings at dinner.. sharing tables, and many people spontaneously expressed disappointment about the main dining menus or quality... we did not start that conversation. The post is not in jest. Things that have been standard on other RCCL cruises were not on this one. My point was that on the former Aged Monarch, the standards were maintained higher than those on the less old Enchantment on same duration and same cruise itinerary. Example: Last January 2013 on Monarch everything was there... new menus were in place (correct?), Then in Dec 13 things cited were not there on Enchantment. We really miss the Curry tremendously. I have seen they do still have it on Freedom, from the posts.

I appreciate and respect your input.

Our experience as well as many of our frequent cruiser friends on Enchantment is the opposite end of the spectrum from yours except for the tea issue. We were also frequent Sovereign and Monarch cruisers and are really enjoying the improvements that Enchantment has brought to this itinerary!!!

FYIW, RCI Chefs' budgets per person a day is challenging and am sure that many could not make their own meals for the same and get as good results or variety. Other options for better food are to go upscale from RCI.

ps, curry was available in WJ on Enchantment.

Merry Christmas to you as well!!!!

No "real" indian curry anymore in Windjammer, no warm chocolate cake in Windjammer or rice pudding, no pumpkin soup, remember that from Monarch! No packets of hot chocolate!

We were on the GOS in Nov. They had rice pudding in the WJ, 2 nights.

The first night it was cold. Not very appealing to me..

The 2nd night it was warm. This is how I've always eaten it. Wasn't bad.

There were quite a few foods that, had this been a land based restaurant, would have been cited for improper temperatures.

Edited by WetToes

HI, Well it seems as if I offended some cruisers out there, so Merry Christmas... in the spirit of good will. I am very happy for those of you that are pleased about the new menus. To clarify, we were suite guests, in a Grand Suite. Multiple friends did dine in the main dining room on the first night, and said they too wished they did not order what they did for dinner, then converted to WJ. We had casual conversations with many cruisers, about ports and things in the ever crowded WJ in evenings at dinner.. sharing tables, and many people spontaneously expressed disappointment about the main dining menus or quality... we did not start that conversation. The post is not in jest. Things that have been standard on other RCCL cruises were not on this one. My point was that on the former Aged Monarch, the standards were maintained higher than those on the less old Enchantment on same duration and same cruise itinerary. Example: Last January 2013 on Monarch everything was there... new menus were in place (correct?), Then in Dec 13 things cited were not there on Enchantment. We attributed that to cutbacks. We certainly don't blame anything on RCCL, especially not the weather, we were hoping for hot cocoa on a pre-Christmas cruise in colds weather, so we went and bought some at the coffee shop. Then by the time we got to and thru the WJ at breakfast and got a seat, it was cold... We do hope that they will maintain standards across the fleet, even on the shorter cruises. Sometimes you are so busy at work that one cannot go on a 7 day or longer. We really miss the Curry tremendously. I have seen they do still have it on Freedom, from the posts.

We have been in GS 3 times and never been invited to the Captain's table for dinner. I'm confused as to why you appear to say that you expected to be? And if you were just saying the Captain wasn't in the MDR (which you weren't apparently so why would you care) we have seen the Captain in the MDR on formal night on every cruise. Our last couple of tables have been right next to the Captain's table. We've had the new menus several times and they're usually pretty good. We dont' go in expecting 5 star meals. Do I love all the changes? No. But, we cruise because we love to cruise, not for the food.

Look before you jump.

QUOTE]

The Holland America boards echo the same sentiments. So unless on is prepared to pay a new "gardener" ALOT more money - the grass is not always greener.

Not saying I like the cutbacks but we all shout that we want a low cost cruise BUT with all of the special touches "that were". I don't believe that's possible in this day and age. :(:(