What is Celebrity Thinking with the Century?

cruiseerf

What the heck is going on with these recent threads on Celebrity. I mainly post here, but do read the other cruise forums, and boy are things getting wacky over here.

I realize Celebrity made a big change in the Capt Club program and a number of posters have come up with creative ways that they should get more points than they got, such as getting points for cruises they were thinking about taking, or for cruises they'd like to take but don't exist. But a whole thread on how poor (and unsafe??) a particular ship is that the OP never cruised on???

Got it.

I went outside last night, but the Moon is only 3/4th Gibbous - not Full.

I have friends in high level positions at the Comedy Club and I asked them if they were sending writers over to try out new material - nope.

I have friends in high level positions at the NSA and I asked them to check if the posts on the Century Review board were by Celebrity Marketing Execs, and they reported back that no, the seven 5+ and eleven 5-star reviews were by actual people, but the one 1-star review was submitted by someone who had been in Sing-Sing for the past 10 years and was still there. Go figure. You'd think that guy would appreciate even a poor cruise ship on their furlough days off.

Oh well, I'll just keep looking for more recommendations from people who's opinions aren't swayed by actual knowledge and experience

Den

I just came across your post and couldn't agree more!!! I was ready to post a similar thought on another "outlandish" thread, but then thought better of it. I don't know what is going on with these recent threads either, but they sure are negative! It's a wonder (from reading them) that Celebrity has ANY customers. They obviously are doing everything wrong! :eek: I guess they are lucky that some of us are blind to their egregious ways and continue to sail with them! :rolleyes: We certainly know everyone is not perfect.......In the grand scheme of things, it's all "small potatoes".

I just came across your post and couldn't agree more!!! I was ready to post a similar thought on another "outlandish" thread, but then thought better of it. I don't know what is going on with these recent threads either, but they sure are negative! It's a wonder (from reading them) that Celebrity has ANY customers. They obviously are doing everything wrong! :eek: I guess they are lucky that some of us are blind to their egregious ways and continue to sail with them! :rolleyes: We certainly know everyone is not perfect.......In the grand scheme of things, it's all "small potatoes".

Have a nice holiday and enjoy your upcoming cruises. We were on the Connie in Sep and on Infinity in Aug. love to sneak over to the Silhouette for a quick one this Spring.

We are so lucky for all of it.

Den

Have a nice holiday and enjoy your upcoming cruises. We were on the Connie in Sep and on Infinity in Aug. love to sneak over to the Silhouette for a quick one this Spring.

Den

Hi Denny, Merry Christmas to you and your family:)

Den

Thanks, Den and Happy Holidays to you as well. And you are so right! I am just thankful for my ability to cruise every now and then.

Edited by gimletgal

Hi Denny, Merry Christmas to you and your family:)

Just finished w the family meal and about to go and play some games. Just zipped over to say Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday.

Looking forward to a better year in 2014!

Den

I was gutted when I read the original post, which in short, described the Century as a 'dog' and booking a cruise on this ship would be a horrible mistake.

I have never cruised before, but just booked a cruise for myself partner, and a cabin for my Dad as well on the Century. We chose Celebrity for its great reputation, and the Century because here in NZ/Australia, this is the only Celebrity ship offering coastal cruises.

I had done my research, and decided that despite its age, a midsize celebrity ship where we could afford a suite, that did not go off-shore was the ideal choice for us nervous first time cruisers.

I felt sick when I read this post, but felt so much better reading all of the responses from the other cruise critic members. Thanks so much for all of your perspectives. I hope I have made the right choice for us.

Have been on Century pre & post refurb..not our fav ship..it's the only ship where I will not go into the pool--needs serious upgrading..

The refurb some yrs ago was cosmetic, and only in revenue areas. They removed the real T pool--what a shame. It also has several quirky aspects like having to go up a flight and then down to get to various locations...

It' main positive is size which was great for cruising in & out of European ports...less people on board so eay on & off......

Never could understand why they let Mercury go in favor of this aging ship,,Now we only cruise on S class...

Edited by hcat

I had done my research, and decided that despite its age, a midsize celebrity ship where we could afford a suite, that did not go off-shore was the ideal choice for us nervous first time cruisers.

There are much, much older ships in Australian waters eg:

Pacific Pearl ( now P&O Cruises Australia)

Ex Fair Majesty, entered service 1989

Ex Star Princess

Ex P&O Arcadia

Ex Ocean Village.

Century entered service in 1995.

Never could understand why they let Mercury go in favor of this ageing ship

Mercury entered service in 1997, so Century is only just 2 years older and had gone through a major refit in 2006.

And whatever people think, there are a large number of passengers, who are happy to sail on her return voyage to Europe( myself included)

Already the FV cabins are sold out for the Dubai-Rome sailing in April 2015.

Edited by upwarduk

Already the FV cabins are sold out for the Dubai-Rome sailing in April 2015.

Just for info FV cabins are always shown as sold out as they are only made available to bookings for 5 or more when a cruise goes on sale. Eventually (often around final payment date) those which haven't been sold will be released for 2 people.