Suggested Enhancements to CC postings

CathyCruises

Dear Cruise Critic:

Here is my Christmas Wish List:

1) on the home screen for any forum, add the date of the original post

2) add the equivalent of a 'like' button on individual posts

3) add a "View First Unread" button on the home screen so we can go there directly without having to open the post first.

There you have it--just a few thoughts for our viewing enjoyment.

Love,

Cathy

Yes! I'm constantly wishing for #1. And I often think while reading - "I wish there was a like button"! :)

For #3 - you can tell if there's something unread if the thread title is bolded. And the threads sort descending by the last post date/time. So the most recently active threads are always at the top, and if there's a post I haven't read, the thread title is bold, so I can visually go to what's unread pretty quickly.

I'd like if there was a button to click to unsubscribe me from the thread from the "home" page instead of having to open up the thread, scroll to the top, then go into Thread Tools.

Yes! I'm constantly wishing for #1. And I often think while reading - "I wish there was a like button"! :)

For #3 - you can tell if there's something unread if the thread title is bolded. And the threads sort descending by the last post date/time. So the most recently active threads are always at the top, and if there's a post I haven't read, the thread title is bold, so I can visually go to what's unread pretty quickly.

I'd like if there was a button to click to unsubscribe me from the thread from the "home" page instead of having to open up the thread, scroll to the top, then go into Thread Tools.

#3 - last post 'I' read? or last post 'someone' read? I assumed bolded was a new unread post; not bolded - all posts have been read. However, not necessarily read by me. There are many times there are unbolded threads that I have not read.

Dear Cruise Critic:

Here is my Christmas Wish List:

1) on the home screen for any forum, add the date of the original post

3) add a "View First Unread" button on the home screen so we can go there directly without having to open the post first.

There you have it--just a few thoughts for our viewing enjoyment.

Love,

Cathy

Would love to see a Like Button :)

I would like the ability to "ignore" an entire thread, not just a single CC member. Some threads are so ridiculous or confrontational that I'd like it to not even be visible to me. My self control is not strong. Like when passing an auto accident, I just have to look. :D

I would also like the ability to delete our own postings. There have been a couple of times I posted something, then when seeing it where everyone can read it, have thought "A smart person would have stayed out of this!" ;)

As to #2 - NOPE. I am not a Facebook cultist so I have no desire to have it's silly conventions integrated into CC.

I would like the ability to "ignore" an entire thread, not just a single CC member. Some threads are so ridiculous or confrontational that I'd like it to not even be visible to me.
Yes! This would be amazing!

Better yet, an ability to filter them from the page before I even see them. Imagine a board where you could choose to never see another "Can I watch Big Sports Event on my cruise?" thread.

As to #2 - NOPE. I am not a Facebook cultist so I have no desire to have it's silly conventions integrated into CC.

I'm not a FB 'cultist' either, but there are often posts with which I entirely agree, and it would be lovely to just click a button to indicate that, rather than writing a whole new post that in essence says, "I agree wholeheartedly'!!

I think it would be great if there was a limit on the number of posts any individual poster could make daily to a thread, and an overall daily limit. Sometimes some people just need to back away from the keyboard.

Hey, I'd go on that cruise - especially if someone else is paying:rolleyes:. But then I'm crazy enough to have floated down the Nile for four days on the deck of a felucca (there was no "below deck"), and to have gone on vacation to, among other places, Paraguay and the Congo (no, not on the same trip).

Thom

Conversely the addition of a "Thumbs Down" button to indicate a dislike (or disagreement) with a post or response would be good.

As far as the ability to Ignore complete threads, I find that once I decided to Ignore certain members many of the problem posts have gone away :D

That being said it would also be nice to message other forum members. This feature is available on many other forums I've been on. As long as you have the ability to refuse messages and/or a way to report inappropriate messages this would be great. It would eliminate the need for people to post up their e-mail addresses if in need to getting in touch with another forum member.

I think the "Like" button is the best suggestion - and would save a lot of typing and excessively long threads from people simply agreeing to something someone said.

Don't like the idea of a "dislike" button, or setting limits on number of posts or posts per day. Some threads already get too contentious and I just think it is wrong to tell people how much they can and cannot post - too 'big brother'. just MHO.

Conversely the addition of a "Thumbs Down" button to indicate a dislike (or disagreement) with a post or response would be good.

As far as the ability to Ignore complete threads, I find that once I decided to Ignore certain members many of the problem posts have gone away :D

That being said it would also be nice to message other forum members. This feature is available on many other forums I've been on. As long as you have the ability to refuse messages and/or a way to report inappropriate messages this would be great. It would eliminate the need for people to post up their e-mail addresses if in need to getting in touch with another forum member.

Thumbs-up.jpg

I think that the "Thumbs Down" button would reduce a lot of the friction on the board. It's usually not the fact that someone disagrees that heats things up, but the manner in which they state it. If you say you disagree with someone, fine. But to tell me them that they are clueless and that you've never heard such a stupid thing in your life tends to heat things up a tad. :eek:

I too would like to see a member-to-member PM facility. We can PM the CC staff, and vice versa, so giving broader PM rights shouldn't be difficult.

Great idea. That will promote more responses that add nothing to the thread except to say hi.

Take a look at his current post total (4,941) and I think you'll agree that he was suggesting this in fun. :)

Edited by Fouremco

I think it would be great if there was a limit on the number of posts any individual poster could make daily to a thread, and an overall daily limit. Sometimes some people just need to back away from the keyboard.

I agree. There is one fellow here who posts an average of 14-15 times a day.

Great idea! While we are at it, let's limit the number of complaining posts by a single poster per day. Sometimes if they step back away from the keyboard and evaluate things, they will see that there are more positive things than negative things to post about.

Overall, I'm happy enough with the way things are now on CC. :)

My only real wish would be that CC put a limit to the size allowed for signatures. Past and future cruises are fine but seeing huge picture of themselves, etc. in their signature gets old. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

Overall, I'm happy enough with the way things are now on CC. :)

My only real wish would be that CC put a limit to the size allowed for signatures. Past and future cruises are fine but seeing huge picture of themselves, etc. in their signature gets old. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

In the event you didn't know, you can turn off people's signatures. I find it so much better that way. You can also turn off avatars, but they don't bother me.

I too would like to see a member-to-member PM facility. We can PM the CC staff, and vice versa, so giving broader PM rights shouldn't be difficult.

I think a private message ability would be a definite boon.

It would save having to put one's email address out there, for one thing. It's next to impossible to have people join in a private excursion from a roll call board without the leader, at least, putting out their email address.

A PM ability would be fabulous. Other boards built on a similar frame to CD can do it.

In the event you didn't know, you can turn off people's signatures. I find it so much better that way. You can also turn off avatars, but they don't bother me.

Is it possible to turn off signatures for individual people? If so, I can't figure out how to do it. Seems all I can fine is "Show Signatures ... Yes or No" which would include everyone and I really like seeing the signatures of most. :confused:

LuLu

~~~~