Miami Pre/Post Cruise Hotel for 6 People (affordable)

Mom2008

We're sailing the NCL Epic out of Miami March 16, 2014. There are six of us travelling together, my Dad (84), husband and our three children (aged 12 to 19).

Saturday Night March 15

We fly in late Saturday night (land at 10pm), so need a place to crash that has access to food (either restaurant or grocery) as some of us will have been on a plane since 8am. There are six of us so either a two-bedroom suite or two rooms each with two queen beds. A pool that's still open would be a bonus, but not crucial.

Sunday, March 23

We arrive off the ship Sunday morning, so will have all day Sunday to enjoy the sun, the pool, or even the beach if it's close (or safe) enough. Doesn't have to be the same hotel, but it would be nice if this hotel was walking distance to swimming, or whatever cultural or entertainment offerings there might be. Our plane leaves at 8am, so would need to be at the airport by 6am Monday morning.

Transfers to/from the airport and cruise ship terminal could add up for six people. Breakfast too. If this was included, it would go a long way towards making the trip more affordable. Our flight times are very late/early, so don't know if shuttles even run at those times. I don't know if there are taxis in Miami that take six people (there certainly aren't in Vancouver, where we live, which is a pain for our family of five, maximum capacity is four people). We love public transit, so the Metromover would be fun to try.

Also, I don't know which areas of the city to avoid in terms of personal safety.

Any suggestions?

I would not waste the time to switch hotels. It's just not worth it.

If you land at 10:00 PM you are going to have a very hard time finding a place to eat.

I would recommend the following hotels in Miami.

Hamton Inn

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis

Marriott

Hyatt.

Keith

You may want to look at a hotel at South Beach area on the return from the cruise

Embassy Suites near the airport would be a good place to crash when you arrive ..worst case you eat at the airport before going to the hotel ;)

enjoy

No beach in downtown Miami. Downtown not pleasant unless you are looking for hookers. Have to go to South Beach on the island of Miami Beach for beach which runs for miles.Look for hotels on either Ocean Drive or Collins below 20th.All kinds of hotels; Trip Advisor readers tell it all. Nice outdoor mall with shops from around world on Lincoln Road(17th st.) Just off 17th on Washington is the direct bus to MIA airport $2.35, runs twice hourly with big luggage bins inside.Miami port abuts 5th. Also a little blue bus runs around the perimeter of South Beach for a quarter.

Edited by zoncom

No beach in downtown Miami. Downtown not pleasant unless you are looking for hookers. Have to go to South Beach on the island of Miami Beach for beach which runs for miles.Look for hotels on either Ocean Drive or Collins below 20th.All kinds of hotels; Trip Advisor readers tell it all. Nice outdoor mall with shops from around world on Lincoln Road(17th st.) Just off 17th on Washington is the direct bus to MIA airport $2.35, runs twice hourly with big luggage bins inside.Miami port abuts 5th. Also a little blue bus runs around the perimeter of South Beach for a quarter.

I am not sure the last time you stayed in downtown Miami but the area I mentioned is a wonderful area. No beaches but a pool at each hotel. Also very convenient to lots of places to eat.

I have been staying in downtown Miami for the past several years.

If the only priority is the beach, yes South Beach is fine. Of course from the area I mentioned it is a short ride over to South Beach.

Keith

Is there a reason you need to stay post-cruise? You could avoid that charge completely by heading home after the cruise. You'll be off the ship before 10am!

What does it matter :confused:

maybe they wanted extra time in the sun or maybe flights were cheaper on Monday

They asked about places to stay in Miami

What does it matter :confused:

maybe they wanted extra time in the sun or maybe flights were cheaper on Monday

They asked about places to stay in Miami

Thank you. Yes, flights are waaaaaayyyyyy cheaper leaving on a Monday. With six of us flying, the savings are in the hundreds of dollars. We were even able to fly home directly to Vancouver instead of having to fly through Seattle, which we are doing on the way out, for the same price.

Thank you. Yes, flights are waaaaaayyyyyy cheaper leaving on a Monday. With six of us flying, the savings are in the hundreds of dollars. We were even able to fly home directly to Vancouver instead of having to fly through Seattle, which we are doing on the way out, for the same price.

Enjoy the trip

Always nice to get a non-stop flight ;)

Lyn

Keith, I think we are talking two different areas. You, the port area, which is OK. Me , Biscayne Blvd.I lived on SBeach 8 yrs. I cannot print the episodes that occured to me in the real downtown. It is not safe to be a tourist in DT.Nothing there anyhow.

Keith, I think we are talking two different areas. You, the port area, which is OK. Me , Biscayne Blvd.I lived on SBeach 8 yrs. I cannot print the episodes that occured to me in the real downtown. It is not safe to be a tourist in DT.Nothing there anyhow.

Yes, I am talking the area near Brickell.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

We're sailing the NCL Epic out of Miami March 16, 2014. There are six of us travelling together, my Dad (84), husband and our three children (aged 12 to 19).

Sounds a lot like our situation. We're on the Epic the week before you. There are 5 of us. I was also hoping to find somewhere on the beach on our return, but opted for the airport area. We ended up with a Family Suite at the Holiday Inn - Miami International Airport on the night of the 8th and a 2BR 2 Bath Suite at Homewood Suites upon our return. Holiday Inn was $316 and Homewood was $383. Not too bad. Also lined up a cheap-ish rental car for the day on the 16th as well so we will have some flexibility. Have a great trip!

MIA airport not a tourist area. I have stayed at Clay Hotel, a really basic but beautiful old affordable ,interesting hotel right near beach and restaurants in South Beach. The $2.35 airport bus stops a couple blocks from hotel.Look up its website. Arthur Frommer called it best cheap hotel in USA.

• 2 months later...

Just an update. I got us two rooms at the Mariott Airport Miami for $150 by bidding for it on Priceline. I called the hotel to confirm late arrival and ask for each room to have two double beds, no problem. Not sure if/what we'll want to eat when we land at 10pm.

On the Sunday getting off the cruise, we got to use my Mom's airmiles, so we splurged and are getting a two-bedroom suite at the Hilton Bentley South Beach. The fee was $109, but it will be nice to have a large place for all of us after the small cabins.

Hard to believe we leave in less than two weeks.