Blowing nose at Dinner

Buck Turgidson

DH has the same issue. He avoids ordering soups which seen to trigger it for him. When he really has to blow ... not just wipe his nose ... he leaves the table to go out for a few minutes.

Seems this is a problem for quite a few cruisers.

LuLu

~~~~

DH has the same issue. He avoids ordering soups which seen to trigger it for him. When he really has to blow ... not just wipe his nose ... he leaves the table to go out for a few minutes.

Seems this is a problem for quite a few cruisers.

LuLu

~~~~

My wife says thank you and that you have a well mannered husband.:)

Eating can cause massive nose-running, and post-nasal drip....it's quite common. If it offends you, would you rather see snot dripping? I think not! Just don't watch if someone needs to blow their nose.

Watching isn't the issue, nose blowing can be heard halfway across the MDR, You can let your nose drool all day for all I care, I won't be watching

It turns my stomach too... but I don't leave. I just say loud enough... HE is so RUDE. Older people have this problem and they can get a prescription nasal spray to use before dinner to resolve this issue ... ask an ENT doctor. Polite people leave the table.

Nose-blowing at the table should be limited to small puffs. If what is required is big, noisy nose-blowing, this should be conducted away from the table. It is distasteful to others to hear or see someone beleaguered by mucus deal with it at the table. :cool:

When we eat in the MDR or buffet my wife cannot finish her meal when people blow their nose. Is my wife odd or does this bother anyone else?

None of us really want to blow our noses at the table but sometimes we have to. Might I suggest a table for 2 persons or room service so there is no chance of your dinner being ruined.

BTW -it is not clear whether she objects to these functions anywhere in the room or just at her table. What if you cruise during cold season when lots of people have to blow or sneeze? Is she expecting a mass exodus from the dining room anytime someone has to do these functions.

Your wife sounds a bit like Hyacinth Bucket.

DON

Your wife is odd.

Unless she understands what it's like to have year-round allergies, then she shouldn't be acting like she's better off and "can't finish her meal".

People can't help it if they have to blow their nose or sneeze, etc. As long as they're polite about it, e.g. covering their nose, using tissues, then it shouldn't concern you.

Eating can cause massive nose-running, and post-nasal drip....it's quite common. If it offends you, would you rather see snot dripping? I think not! Just don't watch if someone needs to blow their nose.
we were so poor as children we were forced to catch the 'flu so we could sneeze and decorate the christmas tree.

It turns my stomach too... but I don't leave. I just say loud enough... HE is so RUDE. Older people have this problem .

Oh boy! Just what we needed ..... someone to find another reason to make a negative generalization about us old(er) people. :eek:

Oh boy! Just what we needed ..... someone to find another reason to make a negative generalization about us old(er) people. :eek:

Not only is the comment about older people, but it's always men too!! "He is so RUDE"????

Women don't blow their noses??? If the worst thing in someones life is to worry about nose blowing, they live a very sheltered life!:rolleyes:

......... I just say loud enough... HE is so RUDE.

Oh dear, Flamomo.

Gala has come up with one of my pet peeves - instead of telling the guy that he's rude, saying it to someone else with the intention that the guy over-hears.

Which I find equally rude.

If Gala has a problem with someone, why doesn't she tell him?

She's ignoring his presence and doesn't give him the opportunity to apologise, or explain, or retort.

Instead of politely speaking to him, her comment is made about him.

I'm afraid I'd respond that if she has anything to say to me, she should have the common courtesy to address me, not someone else who happens to be nearby.

What do you think, Flamomo?

I hope that Gala doesn't butt in on our conversation, cos I'm addressing you, not her. ;) :D

Season's greetings to all.

Including Gala ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

As long as we're talking about a brief sniffle or discreet wipe, I don't have a problem with it. If i absolutely have to blow my nose (we're talking a full "clear out the pipes" situation), I excuse myself from the table, make a quick trip to the restroom and return.

OP, I don't think your wife is strange--maybe just a little sensitive.

I have severe year-round allergies that not even medication can control at times. If we were to follow the OP's wife's logic, I'd be sitting in the restroom or hallway for the entire meal. No, I don't sound like a foghorn, but the need to wipe my nose is always present. But I wonder, what does the OP's wife do when she has a cold? I guess she doesn't eat for the duration????

I have severe year-round allergies that not even medication can control at times. If we were to follow the OP's wife's logic, I'd be sitting in the restroom or hallway for the entire meal. No, I don't sound like a foghorn, but the need to wipe my nose is always present. But I wonder, what does the OP's wife do when she has a cold? I guess she doesn't eat for the duration????

Grow up, I said blow not wipe, your answer is childish

Edited by Buck Turgidson

Nose-blowing at the table should be limited to small puffs. If what is required is big, noisy nose-blowing, this should be conducted away from the table. It is distasteful to others to hear or see someone beleaguered by mucus deal with it at the table. :cool:

I agree.