"Valuables" when off the ship

FinallyCruisinIn2014

I play our vacation over and over in my head, trying to think of every little thing.

My newest question is this: what do you do with your valuables - i.e. seapass card (cruising RCI); a bit of cash; ID; credit card; phone, etc.... when you are enjoying some snorkeling or swimming? Should I keep it on my body at all times? Can anyone recommend a good waterproof pouch? do people leave those things hidden under a towel on their lounger? What do you do?

I play our vacation over and over in my head, trying to think of every little thing.

My newest question is this: what do you do with your valuables - i.e. seapass card (cruising RCI); a bit of cash; ID; credit card; phone, etc.... when you are enjoying some snorkeling or swimming? Should I keep it on my body at all times? Can anyone recommend a good waterproof pouch? do people leave those things hidden under a towel on their lounger? What do you do?

The seapass, credit card, driver's license (ID), and even the cash can all get wet, no problem. We don't take our phone ashore, as we don't use it while cruising.

I know they have waterproof pouches at our local dive shop (West Marine).

Under a lounger while at a beach??? no way never. Someone just has to swallow the bullett and stay with our items, while others go play. We take turns. I have had things come up missing while on a beach. One time I saw a bird fly away with my food. Also had wifes cash go missing on beach. This was all in US. Orlando or Daytona if I remember correctly. Lesson learned the hard way.

On a boat type excursion??? I hide the items under a towel or such. The boat is a captive audiance. I've never had anything come up missing, however, if I did, I'd talk to the captain of the boat and request a search before anyone could get off the boat. The captain doesn't need the reputation of people stealing stuff on his boat.

This is a recurrent question on CC (use the search engine and you will probably find dozens of threads) so we will give a recurrent answer. First......minimize the valuable things you take off the ship. If going to the beach it is best to not take expensive jewelry, cameras, etc. Anything you leave unattended on a beach (or at a pool) is a potential target (anywhere in the world) so its wise not to leave anything you cannot afford to lose. We personally spend a lot of time (many months a year) at the beach and also enjoy swimming, snorkeling, and even some SCUBA. I own a waterproof fanny pack (bum pack for you Brits) called a "Sea Caddy" which is a strong nylon outer pack which contains a special plastic bag (with a triple seal) designed for the water. I carry our cash, credit cards, seapass cards, car keys, etc. in that pack when I am in the water. My pack is actually used by some in the US Navy and keeps things dry to over 100 feet down...assuming you follow instructions and properly seal the internal plastic bag.

Hank

I've bought assorted waterproof bags, but they've all been more bulk than I want. I use zip lock bags if I use anything. But as people have said, Driver's license, credit card, ship card and cash can get wet. My husband has a zipper pocket in his bathing suit (which I very carefully made sure of when I bought them) and he carries that.

We use a camera that's cheap enough so that if it gets stolen we're not too upset and we off load pictures every night.

If we both want to swim at once, we usually can find someone who we recognize from the ship and we ask them to watch our stuff; or we ask around and see if the beach has lockers.

On excursion boats, we leave our day pack on the boat when we swim. We put the camera in a zip lock back in case it gets splashed or dripped on.

There are water "safes" that have a cord that you can put those valuables in and wear around your neck or wrist. They are water tight and work great! The are small, usually about 3 x 1 x 4 or 5 inches and don't take up any room.

Edited by laurav

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Container-Airtight-Money-Beach/dp/B002EDCS06

Buy 2; we did have one break once. Have seen them for $10 on ship, $5 at the end of the cruise.

We have several of these, won them playing triva on ships, always take them when we go to beach, just found several the other day that we have never used yet

Thanks, everyone!! I wouldn't take really valuable items or a lot of money with us but our seapasses and ID are obviously extremely valuable to us off the ship! My biggest concern is snorkeling. This is a FAMILY trip, which means we are ALL going in the water together; not making anyone babysit the loungers/stuff.

I did an Amazon search and couldn't find the Sea Caddy? The other plastic container, I actually had one of those years ago - I wonder what happened to it?

Anyway, after searching reviews, it looks like the one below might be the best bet. Anyone have this?

http://www.amazon.com/DRY-DP-44-Alligator-Waterproof-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1388161548&sr=8-8&keywords=waterproof+bag

I used the pouch you referenced in grand cayman for stingray city and snorkeling excursion. Put ship card, drivers license, credit card, and cash inside. Hung it around my neck and it spent the day in the water. Worked great. Be sure to test at home before your cruise.

I used the pouch you referenced in grand cayman for stingray city and snorkeling excursion. Put ship card, drivers license, credit card, and cash inside. Hung it around my neck and it spent the day in the water. Worked great. Be sure to test at home before your cruise.

Excellent! Thanks! I'm going to order it now :)