Heated swimming pool?

mirthu

They are salt water, but don't think they are just water directly from the ocean. Its clear, and chlorinated, just like 'regular' pool water, it just happens to be salt water. The only way you will know is if you get some in your mouth, or you find you float extra high :)

Just off the Serenade December 12. The Compass indicated that both the solarium and main pools were heated. Neither of us got in the main pool, but my husband did swim in the solarium pool. He said the water was warm, more so on the first few days of the cruise.

They are salt water, but don't think they are just water directly from the ocean. Its clear, and chlorinated, just like 'regular' pool water, it just happens to be salt water. The only way you will know is if you get some in your mouth, or you find you float extra high :)

It is certainly sea water. During at sea days it is continuously circulated. On port days it is treated because it is not circulated

The newer ships (Freedom class and above) are all freshwater. Not sure about Navigator/Explorer, etc.

The newer ships (Freedom class and above) are all freshwater. Not sure about Navigator/Explorer, etc.

Except for the beach pools on Oasis class ships. They are salt water.

The kids pools on Oasis are slightly heated, first thing in the morning they are warmer than the adult pools. We learned this fact as we have a 6 year old son. Now mid-afternoon the kids pool is really warm, just try not to think how it was heated. Make sure your mouth closed as the kiddies jump in and spray you too;)

Andrew

I can't speak for all ships, but I know that of the Freedom-class ships only Independence has heated pools and that the heaters are only used when she is sailing out of Europe. The Freedom-class pools are freshwater, however.

The solarium pool on Explorer was heated some days on the New England cruise in September, I saw some people in there and thought they were very brave but they told me it was warm and on trying myself it was very nice, other days it had a chill to it.

It is certainly sea water. During at sea days it is continuously circulated. On port days it is treated because it is not circulated

I never knew that.

That makes me feel safer.

To Explain-------

On our Allure sailing there was a large group of over 8 couples at one end of the pool and constantly used their unlimited drink package, beer after beer and never left the pool:eek:

They either had very large capacity bladders or .......

Thanks for the posting.

Sea Ya

I am by far not an expert on pools, nor have I been on every ship on the Royal line, but we have been on many of the ships.

We have ONLY encountered salt water pools. Since I love swimming, I am always curious about how they keep the pools clean. They have a pool filtration system that operates all the time to circulate the water and have it run through the filtration system. I have watched them empty a pool for cleaning and refill it -- and the pool staff told me that the water was coming from the ocean and goes through their filtration system. I have never seen them actually 'add chemicals' to the water to balance PH levels, because maintaining salt water pools that should not be necessary.

I have seen them add chemicals to the Jacuzzi's because those are chlorinated pools and heated.

On Jewel last summer, the pool water level had to be dropped so 'water volleyball' could be played between crew and cruisers. If was lowered within a 5 minute span and it was refilled within a 5 minute span....it could only happen that quickly with large pipes to pull out the water into the ocean and then use those same large pipes to fill the pool again, directly from the ocean.