Does "Hygiene" in your own cabin really help?

I usually avoid touching what others are always touching/doorknobs, lightswitches, etc.Usually carry a paper towel to open doors to push elevator buttons. You would be shocked how many people do not wash their hands. Just hover in a public bathroom for fifteen minutes and you will see. I have been on many cruises, and once got very sick with a gastro illness. It was a 24 hr thing, and I do not want to repeat that experience. You are crazy if you believe what you touch is clean. A simple wipe down with disinfectant for the room is good. It's outside the room that you really have to be careful. Yes, there are people who never get sick, carriers, and then there is the rest of us. Caution and awareness does not harm you!

No one said what they touch is clean. What we have said is common sense is all that's required. Wash your hands, don't touch your nose or face. It's pretty simple. Disinfectant is going to be the death of a lot of people with superbugs increasing. Wiping stuff down isn't caution or awareness. It's adding to the problem. Just wash your hands with soap and water. That's the most effective thing you can ever do.

No one said what they touch is clean. What we have said is common sense is all that's required. Wash your hands, don't touch your nose or face. It's pretty simple. Disinfectant is going to be the death of a lot of people with superbugs increasing. Wiping stuff down isn't caution or awareness. It's adding to the problem. Just wash your hands with soap and water. That's the most effective thing you can ever do.

Almost everything you said is right, you only forgot that some people have no common sense! ;)

I carry Wet Ones and use it as soon as I get into the cabin/hotel room. I use it primarily on the remote control for the tv, the toilet handle, and bathroom door handle. I don't think about it after that. I have 2 kids and 3 grandsons and I have experienced first hand where those grubby little mitts are right before they touch the remote:eek: I assume the cabin attendant has not wiped down those 3 areas.

Cruise ships are cleaner than 99% of public areas that are not medical facilities. They get scrubbed constantly and are subject to CDC inspections while land based public facilities are not. You have a greater chance of picking up a bug as you go about your daily business on land.

The marketing departments of the sanitizer industry have successfully created paranoia in some folks.

Just follow the same precautions that you learned in kindergarten and you will won't be at any lesser risk than anyone else.

the truth is that measuring "prevention" is almost impossible. MAYBE what you're proposing helps, but what's your control group for comparison? Controlled studies might demonstrate that there's a reduction in incidence between those who sanitize everything and those that don't, but it's very difficult. About the only work that has been done is with health care providers, where alcohol based gels have been recommended by the CDC as too many health care providers don't adequately wash their hands (in fairness, most probably don't have time).

Having had what certainly behaved like Noro (on land), while exercising normal precautions (other than caring for my wife, who broke first but exercises normal precautions routinely), I don't know what else to do but wash your hands frequently, and don't put your hands in your mouth, nose, or eyes after handling objects around the ship.

the truth is that measuring "prevention" is almost impossible. MAYBE what you're proposing helps, but what's your control group for comparison? Controlled studies might demonstrate that there's a reduction in incidence between those who sanitize everything and those that don't, but it's very difficult. About the only work that has been done is with health care providers, where alcohol based gels have been recommended by the CDC as too many health care providers don't adequately wash their hands (in fairness, most probably don't have time).

Having had what certainly behaved like Noro (on land), while exercising normal precautions (other than caring for my wife, who broke first but exercises normal precautions routinely), I don't know what else to do but wash your hands frequently, and don't put your hands in your mouth, nose, or eyes after handling objects around the ship.

Exactly!

I've already purchased mini-bottles of Lysol spray, and anti-bacterial wipes for the door knobs, remote controls, drawer pulls, etc., but honestly, does it really make a difference? A cabin attendant comes in/out of your cabin every day (having been in other cabins), so wouldn't you have to wipe down everything in your cabin each day?

I'm only asking because obviously when you're out of your cabin in other areas of the ship you're exposed to hygiene issues outside of your control. I told my doctor I'm going on a cruise in January and she said on doors that can be pushed open (corridor doors), use your arm or elbow (not your hand) to open them, and to use your knuckle instead of your finger tips to push elevator buttons, and to try to keep your hands away from your face as much as possible (to reduce the chance of germs getting near your mouth, nose, eyes).

I know RCI has antibacterial gel stations around the ship, but just like in hospitals, how many people really remember to use them (I do, but see many people ignore them).

You should probably just stay home.

Its sounds much safer....

The most important prevention is to wash your hands. My husband and I are rarely sick, last time I had to take an antibiotic was in 1985. We do not wipe down the cabin or worry about touching anything, but we do wash our hands frequently. I think it is important for development of a good immune system to avoid the antibacterial products as much as possible.

Sherri:)

Totally agree! I work in a school for multiple handicapped kids. I watch my co-workers bath in that gel. While it smells nice I don't like to use it. I stick to soap and water and I do that when I need to Not every 10 seconds.

Totally agree! I work in a school for multiple handicapped kids. I watch my co-workers bath in that gel. While it smells nice I don't like to use it. I stick to soap and water and I do that when I need to Not every 10 seconds.

I would probably be accused of not washing my hands often enough (whatever that might mean to someone) and then again, I haven't been sick in close to 15 years.

If I take a 'sick day from work' its a mental health day, not a physical health day.

You can't live in a 'antiseptically clean bubble' and enjoy life or even 'live it'.

You know what I always wonder?

If we are all using a paper towel to open the handle on the bathroom door.....how is it possible that there is anything remotely contagious on that handle? :D

You would think that it would be spotless and non-infective from all the paper towel wiping. :)

There has been a lot of news coverage here in Canada about the harm these chemicals in ie hand sanitizers are doing. We have started purchasing liquid hand soap for our bathrm dispenser. Will be watching to see where the latest information from the medical community takes us regarding this. :confused:

I wash my hands several times a day. I do not use antibacterial products. I raised a couple of kids. I have been working in a public school for 10 years.

Recent reports on antibacterial products indicate that they may be harmful for you; especially with frequent use. Also, keep in mind, that some bacteria is actually good for you, and keeps you from getting sick. Antibacterial products do not know the difference between healthy, needed bacteria and sick/bad bacteria. Antibacterial products kill all bacteria. I prefer to let the healthy bacterial take care of the bad bacteria naturally.

I am a frequent hand-washing person, too. I avoid the antibacterial gel. I wash my hands well before going to dinner. I do not take the gel they try to force on you. It makes my hands sticky and does more harm than good. :rolleyes:

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

You know what I always wonder?

If we are all using a paper towel to open the handle on the bathroom door.....how is it possible that there is anything remotely contagious on that handle? :D

You would think that it would be spotless and non-infective from all the paper towel wiping. :)

Maybe everyone on this thread is using a paper towel to open the door but I've seen my share of ladies who did their business and headed straight to the door without washing their hands or using a paper towel to open the door.:(

Maybe everyone on this thread is using a paper towel to open the door but I've seen my share of ladies who did their business and headed straight to the door without washing their hands or using a paper towel to open the door.:(

And, that is why you should wash yours and use a paper towel yourself. It's about protecting yourself from those who don't. You do know that all the bathrooms on ships have a button to open the door, right? At least all the ships I've been on. That way, no one has to touch the door.

As for women not washing their hands in bathrooms, I've seen it a lot more at work than on a cruiseship. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing anyone not wash their hands in the ship bathrooms. Believe me, I would notice it if it happened while I was in there.

Edited by BND

My grandmother used to say everyone eats a pound of dirt before you die.

Our kid's doctor told us that too. People should be far less afraid. I dont do sll the wipes, gels and such. Worst infection ive had was from a splinter. No gels, wipes and sprays prevent those. Normal basic sanitation. A few germs are goid for ya... builds resistence for times when you dont want to get sick, like on a cruise ship.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

OMIGOSH!!! I thought my grandfather was the only one who said that! Except he said "you have to eat a PECK of dirt before you die."

Germs are part of our existence and you need some of them to build your immune sustem as has been said. I can't be bothered wasting my time wiping down everything I come in contact with. I agree with the good hand-washing habit and no face touching. Works for me!:)

OMIGOSH!!! I thought my grandfather was the only one who said that! Except he said "you have to eat a PECK of dirt before you die."

I can't be bothered wasting my time wiping down everything I come in contact with. :)

Often we have no choice, but for us it's not so much about the "germs" its just starting off the week without icky TV remotes and telephone handsets. Ever get a rental car with an icky, sticky steering wheel, or that grocery cart that the kiddo was slobbering all over?

Just looking to start off with "clean" not necessarily sterile stuff.

I told my doctor I'm going on a cruise in January and she said on doors that can be pushed open (corridor doors), use your arm or elbow (not your hand) to open them, and to use your knuckle instead of your finger tips to push elevator buttons, and to try to keep your hands away from your face as much as possible (to reduce the chance of germs getting near your mouth, nose, eyes).

I follow the advice of your doctor. The only other thing I do is to carry some sort of wipes for my hands. I use them if I'm eating any 'finger food'.

I've already purchased mini-bottles of Lysol spray, and anti-bacterial wipes for the door knobs, remote controls, drawer pulls, etc., but honestly, does it really make a difference? A cabin attendant comes in/out of your cabin every day (having been in other cabins), so wouldn't you have to wipe down everything in your cabin each day?

I'm only asking because obviously when you're out of your cabin in other areas of the ship you're exposed to hygiene issues outside of your control. I told my doctor I'm going on a cruise in January and she said on doors that can be pushed open (corridor doors), use your arm or elbow (not your hand) to open them, and to use your knuckle instead of your finger tips to push elevator buttons, and to try to keep your hands away from your face as much as possible (to reduce the chance of germs getting near your mouth, nose, eyes).

I know RCI has antibacterial gel stations around the ship, but just like in hospitals, how many people really remember to use them (I do, but see many people ignore them).

Heh, in my experience not a bit. I am adamant on hand washing, using the Purell stations and bring Lysol to spray and wipe down everything in my cabin....and I still got sick.

Use common sense, tips you got from your doctor and I am sure in this thread, and just roll with it. Hopefully you won't get sick and truly the odds are in your favor that you won't. :)

Several years ago on a cruise, two of our table mates became ill with noro virus. Two days later, I became sick with it also (and I am a very healthy person). I must say that the 3 days I suffered were devastating, and I don't care to repeat the experience.

On cruises since then i have observed many people not washing their hands after using the bathroom and people who handle food items such as bread and rolls on the buffet line and then put them back.

So I am one of those fanatics who wipe down the touchable items in a cabin considering that on my noro virus cruise, many members of the staff became ill also. I always vigorously wash my hands with hot water and soap and also use hand sanitizers before I touch any food. This issue can be debated all day long but I personally believe in taking every precaution I can.

On the new Royal Princess, they have added wash basins with hot water and soap right at the entrance of the buffet. Great idea

Often we have no choice, but for us it's not so much about the "germs" its just starting off the week without icky TV remotes and telephone handsets. Ever get a rental car with an icky, sticky steering wheel, or that grocery cart that the kiddo was slobbering all over?

Just looking to start off with "clean" not necessarily sterile stuff.

Thank you! that's exactly how I feel. On our latest Allure cruise I was shocked at the black filth on top of the t.v., on top of light switches, etc. Of our 15 cruises, I'd say this was the dirtiest and smelliest (stale, moldy smell) room we've ever encountered. My sister in the stateroom next to us had the same complaint. Couldn't help but notice our attendent spent most of his time on the phone and didn't vacuum once.

The worst was the telephone. Disgusting. I give everything the once over when I unpack, but don't obsess over it for the rest of the week. It helps me relax. :)