Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

Fouremco, you get a HUGE gold star!!

It gripes me when people say "for all intensive purposes" and YOU have said it correctly!! You are da-bomb!

Now if we could only have people learn the difference between there, their and they're......

Can we also throw in "then" and "than"?

The links provided by Host Wall and Ma Bell (from another thread) illustrate part of the problem faced by passengers. While the Celebrity website states that men's formal wear includes a "dinner jacket", the Reflection's Celebrity Today uses the term "jacket" without qualification. As CaroleSS points out, a tux and a dinner jacket are for all intents and purposes the same garment, whereas a "jacket" is a broader term that might include blazers, sports coats, etc.

So, does one follow the ship's published formal dress code or that of corporate HQ? As the ship's crew is responsible for enforcing the code, it seems logical that passengers follow the ship's code. It's probably also worth considering that every passenger receives a copy of Celebrity Today onboard, while most probably haven't looked at that part of the website.

There are so many posts that refer to "the code", so it's probably useful for us to realize that there are at least two versions.

You also have to add on the differences that occur on the ship. Please don't shoot the messenger on this one but I was there on the Silhouette when this happened to my son.

We boarded the ship and were roaming around, we had Select Dining. We had decided prior that we would not deal with formal clothes because we were driving on a two week trip and needed to deal with room for the dog (not on the cruise) and Christmas presents. My son boarded wearing his jeans and went to the dining room where he was looking at the menu. I was not with him at this time. He is very gregarious and has some learning difficulties and is 28 yrs old. He began talking to someone where the menus are and just offhandedly said I wonder if I can wear the jeans to dinner tonight in case we don't get our luggage. This pompous person told him definitely that he could not wear them and he came back and said he was going to eat in the buffet. I told him whoever told you that is wrong and that you are certainly welcome in the dining room which we were without a problem.

While at the line in the Select Dining, he was talking to the Maitre'd and was very concerned about entering so he asked him if he could come in with the Jeans. The maitre'd said of course you can and volunteered this information to my son which I heard and saw. If you come in tomorrow with them on, we'll just give you a jacket and you can eat here. Next night was obviously formal night. We did not eat in the dining room on formal nights but did eat in Specialty restaurant one formal night and buffet another.

Edited by dkjretired

Can we also throw in "then" and "than"?

I think some people need to read Community guidelines re: correcting spelling mistakes. I know you technically didn't but not everyone is as educated or fluent in the language. You have all levels of writers on this board and I would prefer to hear what they have to say then complain about their English. I will tell you that I had a great education and wrote reports all my life. My grammar and English were always excellent but now I'm not remembering a lot of what I was taught. Don't comment until you walk in someone else's shoes. I just hope you reach my age which I am thankful for and see the problems that occur.

Also, often those who write on these boards use English as a second or third language.

On the day of embarkation, nearly anything goes in the MDR (shy of bathing suits, etal). They realize that luggage can be delayed and not everyone travels in their smart casual attire!

The person who talked with your son was wrong......ok, ill-informed/incorrect. I know he must have been confused and I totally can understand how he might feel intimidated! It was nice that the Maitre'd reassured him as it may have spoiled the beginning to his cruise.

I often find it amusing that the OP never comes back to post and the thread sees the same arguments over and over and over......

This OP posted the same question back in Jan 2012.....

You also have to add on the differences that occur on the ship. Please don't shoot the messenger on this one but I was there on the Silhouette when this happened to my son.

We boarded the ship and were roaming around, we had Select Dining. We had decided prior that we would not deal with formal clothes because we were driving on a two week trip and needed to deal with room for the dog (not on the cruise) and Christmas presents. My son boarded wearing his jeans and went to the dining room where he was looking at the menu. I was not with him at this time. He is very gregarious and has some learning difficulties and is 28 yrs old. He began talking to someone where the menus are and just offhandedly said I wonder if I can wear the jeans to dinner tonight in case we don't get our luggage. This pompous person told him definitely that he could not wear them and he came back and said he was going to eat in the buffet. I told him whoever told you that is wrong and that you are certainly welcome in the dining room which we were without a problem.

While at the line in the Select Dining, he was talking to the Maitre'd and was very concerned about entering so he asked him if he could come in with the Jeans. The maitre'd said of course you can and volunteered this information to my son which I heard and saw. If you come in tomorrow with them on, we'll just give you a jacket and you can eat here. Next night was obviously formal night. We did not eat in the dining room on formal nights but did eat in Specialty restaurant one formal night and buffet another.

I'm sorry your son encountered a rude guest! On our first cruise (to Alaska, earlier this year), some leeway was given to passengers on the first night and on one night when many folks returned late-ish from excursions. There were plenty of blue jeans in the main dining room, albeit with polo or button-down shirts.

We happen to love the formal nights, and "dressing for dinner" even on non-formal nights is a fun part of cruising, for us. It's like 'date night' every night, esp with dancing or a show afterward. Honestly, though: we didn't give a second thought to what anyone was wearing (well, except for the class act with a "Who Farted" t-shirt), except to admire how nice people looked.

Edited by turning46

What an awful person to tell your son he couldn't wear jeans, when it clearly states that he can. Some people can be so pompous, as you said.

On my last Summit cruise on formal night there was a table for four close by, the two young ladies were dress to the nines. Their two men had on jeans, not tucked in long sleeve shirts and they were let in without any problems. They had no coats or ties.

What an awful person to tell your son he couldn't wear jeans, when it clearly states that he can. Some people can be so pompous, as you said.

On my last Summit cruise on formal night there was a table for four close by, the two young ladies were dress to the nines. Their two men had on jeans, not tucked in long sleeve shirts and they were let in without any problems. They had no coats or ties.

Thank you, I was surprised that the Maitre D told him to come in on formal nights with jeans..

Fouremco, you get a HUGE gold star!!

It gripes me when people say "for all intensive purposes" and YOU have said it correctly!! You are da-bomb!

Now if we could only have people learn the difference between there, their and they're......

Greetings

I always thought it was a saying about a traveling marine circus -

for all in tents and porpoises

:D

Good Sailing

Tom

Blazer and dress pants, shirt & tie works for me. Luggage space at a premium these days, no room for things like suits etc given they are worn so infrequently (a couple or three evenings) whilst on board..;)

That's the problem I have. A suit takes up a lot of room for something that will be worn only a couple of times.

Does Celebrity offer tux rentals for men?

I've cruised Royal Caribbean several times and will be cruising Celebrity in May.

I wear jeans to the dining room regularly on non-formal nights, with a collared polo or button down shirt. Can I get away with this on Celebrity?

Formal night I wear slacks with a jacket and no tie. I hate dressing up and don't want to bring a suit. I wear suits every day at work and the thought of wearing one on vacation depresses me. Can I get away with this jacket/slacks combo?

Alternatively, I'm thinking of going to the other extreme and bringing a tux or renting one. It's not something I wear often so it might be fun for a couple of hours on formal night.

Thank you, I was surprised that the Maitre D told him to come in on formal nights with jeans..

That sounds great actually. I'd be very happy just doing the "hipster" look of jeans with a jacket and fashion suede sneakers. I loathe dressing up on vacation.

only if we include "good" and "well"!

This makes me cringe. When I inquire as to a person's health and the reply is "I'm good", I sometimes quip "That's how you get to Heaven". Then it's my wife's turn to cringe:p

Edited by BosoxI

Could someone kindly explain what a sports jacket is to a confused Brit?

This is what we call a sports jacket in my neck of the woods, I can't imagine this is what's being suggested as an alternative to a suit jacket.

http://makebelievecostumehire.co.uk/the-1980s/80s-shellsuit-harry-enfield-scouser/

I do joke, but is a SJ what we might call a blazer? E.g:

http://www.stylebistro.com/lookbook/Prince+William/hp_5jJEUsb-

The British and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language. Part of the reason some Americans find the dress code confusing is because it uses the term "dinner jacket," which as I understand it is a Britishism for Tuxedo jacket (an American term).

Sport Coat is an American term for a jacket similar to a suit jacket, but that doesn't match the pants. There are typically some differences in fabric, style, and cut as well and, in general, a sport coat is more casual. Here's a link to a discussion about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_coat

A blazer is generally considered to be a specific type of sport coat that is a solid color (typically Navy blue) and usually with brass buttons.

I've cruised Royal Caribbean several times and will be cruising Celebrity in May.

I wear jeans to the dining room regularly on non-formal nights, with a collared polo or button down shirt. Can I get away with this on Celebrity?

Formal night I wear slacks with a jacket and no tie. I hate dressing up and don't want to bring a suit. I wear suits every day at work and the thought of wearing one on vacation depresses me. Can I get away with this jacket/slacks combo?

Alternatively, I'm thinking of going to the other extreme and bringing a tux or renting one. It's not something I wear often so it might be fun for a couple of hours on formal night.

1. Jeans are permitted in the MDR. You aren't getting away with anything.

2. The written dress code requires a minimum of true formal wear (e.g., tux or dinner jacket) or a suit. What you propose, does not meet the written code. However, there is no requirement for a tie at all. And based on recent observations of most posters, the dress code enforced on board (if enforced at all) is merely, jacket-required. My opinion is that you will likely get away with jacket, slacks, and no tie, but you will not be following the rules. My experience is that most passengers will be in suits, 5-20% (probably on the lower end) will be in tuxes, and 5-10% will be in jackets, most with ties. My experience is that the tux percentage goes down and the blazer percentage goes up every cruise. An extremely small percentage will be in the MDR without a jacket. (I wear a suit because I am, by nature, a rule follower)

3. Celebrity rents tuxes and while the percentage of people wearing them has decreased over the years, you won't be alone.

It's very simple, just listen to the word formal and all will be clear. Anything else is simply what I can get away with or what I can justify to myself. Most people understand and comply or they choose one of the other alternatives Celebrity provides for Formal Nights. You can always find an exception to the norm wherever you go. You can't legislate common sense.;)

1. Jeans are permitted in the MDR. You aren't getting away with anything.

2. The written dress code requires a minimum of true formal wear (e.g., tux or dinner jacket) or a suit. What you propose, does not meet the written code. However, there is no requirement for a tie at all. And based on recent observations of most posters, the dress code enforced on board (if enforced at all) is merely, jacket-required. My opinion is that you will likely get away with jacket, slacks, and no tie, but you will not be following the rules. My experience is that most passengers will be in suits, 5-20% (probably on the lower end) will be in tuxes, and 5-10% will be in jackets, most with ties. My experience is that the tux percentage goes down and the blazer percentage goes up every cruise. An extremely small percentage will be in the MDR without a jacket. (I wear a suit because I am, by nature, a rule follower)

3. Celebrity rents tuxes and while the percentage of people wearing them has decreased over the years, you won't be alone.

Thanks for the reply. I certainly wouldn't go without some type of jacket on formal night so I'm trying to figure out the parameters of my options. I'm not particularly fond of following rules but I don't want to violate them too blatantly. I don't want to stand out in any negative way but I want to be comfortable and I'm not adverse to pushing the envelope a bit to do it.

Edited by vanvleckeren

Popcorn on standby,

Dark suit/tux is recommended for Formal nights. Now let the comments begin.:D

I don't like to follow rules and right now, my driving record proves that...:D

I may go for the tux just to be a bit extreme, but I could also go for the jeans/suede shoes/collared shirt look (no tie) with a jacket thrown over it.

No way would I go to the MDR with a t-shirt, shorts or flip flops, but it's always more fun to be on the wrong side of the rules than to dutifully follow them. :cool:

It's very simple, just listen to the word formal and all will be clear. Anything else is simply what I can get away with or what I can justify to myself. Most people understand and comply or they choose one of the other alternatives Celebrity provides for Formal Nights. You can always find an exception to the norm wherever you go. You can't legislate common sense.;)

You are correct however there is a little more to it. The most important thing you said is common sense. If you read my previous post, my son was told by the Maitre'd to go to the MDR with jeans on formal night and they would give him a jacket. We of course did not do that opting for other alternatives. Point I'm making is that Celebrity has to get their act together because they are causing some of these problems.

I guess because of my previous profession, I will always follow the rules. I have never worn a sport jacket to the MDR but I am certainly not going to tell someone that realistically they won't be allowed into the MDR with one on. That is common sense also.

Edited by dkjretired

From the FAQs on Celebrity's website:

What is the onboard dress code?

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks. Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings.

Note that it says "INCLUDES", not is required......