Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

If some other passenger is offended because I may or may not wear jeans in the evening then they better get a thick skin because we are planning a 35 day back to back cruise and they are going to have a real miserable time. I haven't worn a tie in over 15 years and that includes weddings and funerals so if by not wearing a tie means I can't attend a formal night in the MDR then I will have to get used to the buffet menu. Before someone asks why I don't where a tie, principally because I cant be bothered and by not wearing one has neither affected my attendance at functions nor has it affected others at said functions.

Isn't this thread fun.

Totally agree with you! Wear jeans as much as you want on non-formal nights as that is part of the options on smart casual evenings (we actually never pack jeans as they are way too heavy/hot). Also glad to see that you are happy to dine in the buffet on formal nights as that is a great option for people who do not want to dress up. Oh BTW, how do you know it has not affected others at "said functions".

Totally agree with you! Wear jeans as much as you want on non-formal nights as that is part of the options on smart casual evenings (we actually never pack jeans as they are way too heavy/hot). Also glad to see that you are happy to dine in the buffet on formal nights as that is a great option for people who do not want to dress up. Oh BTW, how do you know it has not affected others at "said functions".

Remember that you can always order from the exact same mdr menu and have attendant/butler bring it to your room. (That is how we eat every meal)

You probably wouldn't know unless someone said something or you were not invited to their function.:D

I was disgusted with RCCL when they allowed shorts and flip flops into main dinning.

I NEVER saw jeans on anyone on a Celebrity cruise. I someone wishes to cruise and dine in jeans, there are many budget cheap cruise lines to choose from. I for one select Celebrity because they keep the grand style of cruising alive.

Please have some taste and leave your jeans in the room or for shore trips.

I have seen passengers wearing jeans on Celebrity cruises and in the MDR.

Celebrity is far from the grand style of cruising. If you want that sail on Cunard, QM2 in particular.

OK, I guess your blue jeans are not mentioned but neither is being naked. I guess maybe it would be nice for everyone to dress a bit in the spirit of cruising on an upscale line as Celebrity. I t just adds to the overall nature of the experience. After all, there are places to dress like you are at a duck dynasty convention but fine dining on Celebrity is not one.

Celebrity is a notch above other mainstream cruise lines in my opinion but I think upscale is a stretch. Their marketing department may have convinced some that it is upscale. I do think that many who cruise on Celebrity are more discerning.

Duck Dynasty, that is also marketing.......look at some before and after pictures. The family looked like a yuppie family that would fit right on celebrity before they got into show business.

If some other passenger is offended because I may or may not wear jeans in the evening then they better get a thick skin because we are planning a 35 day back to back cruise and they are going to have a real miserable time. I haven't worn a tie in over 15 years and that includes weddings and funerals so if by not wearing a tie means I can't attend a formal night in the MDR then I will have to get used to the buffet menu. Before someone asks why I don't where a tie, principally because I cant be bothered and by not wearing one has neither affected my attendance at functions nor has it affected others at said functions.

Isn't this thread fun.

These threads are always fun. None will make you wear a tie but they might hand you a jacket to wear if you are not wearing one on the formal evening in the MDR. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

By the way since you are not from the USA you are so supposed to be sophisticated and wear a tux. That is what I read on the last few dress threads. LOL

One of these days I'm going to wear a green tux on a cruise. They really don't cost that much. It could be a lot of fun. Purple might not be that bad. The orange tux it has to be the best. I would love the looks I would get. A cruise is about having a good time. Richard

Another option would be a tux made out of blue jean material.

I have seen passengers wearing jeans on Celebrity cruises and in the MDR.

Celebrity is far from the grand style of cruising. If you want that sail on Cunard, QM2 in particular.

Jeans are allowed in mdr at all times except on formal night (can't be ripped or have holes )

Celebrity could solve this conundrum by changing formal night to Formal or Upscale smart casual. Of course, that would result in a diminution of the number of posts on this board.

But then they would not make as much money from those who choose to dress smart casual and go to the specialty restaurants. If it wasn't for that I believe they would have gone to smart causal every night a couple of years ago.

But then they would not make as much money from those who choose to dress smart casual and go to the specialty restaurants. If it wasn't for that I believe they would have gone to smart causal every night a couple of years ago.

You may be onto something there.:D

WHY does this issue continue? The guidelines are there for all to see, if you don't wish to dress formally on FORMAL night - then there are several different options for you to chose from. Pick one and don't denigrate the ambiance for the rest of us that enjoy formal dress.

2nd point - I AM SICK of the snide comments regarding some women's choice of a formal gown. I've heard them called prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, etc. Many of us spend a fortune on gowns - some don't/can't but every woman who makes the effort gets a thumbs up from me!:) So enough of the snide comments.

3rd - I'm not going to spend a second worrying about what Joe at another table is wearing but if Joe is wearing dockers, sports coat, shirt without a tie and is seated with me, while I am in ball gown - then yes it would ruin the ambiance. Sort of like wearing an evening gown into a Chili's Restaurant. So if you chose to flaunt the rules have the decency to not ruin it for others - ask for a table of 2. :eek:

Flame away but my opinion.

WHY does this issue continue? The guidelines are there for all to see, if you don't wish to dress formally on FORMAL night - then there are several different options for you to chose from. Pick one and don't denigrate the ambiance for the rest of us that enjoy formal dress.

2nd point - I AM SICK of the snide comments regarding some women's choice of a formal gown. I've heard them called prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, etc. Many of us spend a fortune on gowns - some don't/can't but every woman who makes the effort gets a thumbs up from me!:) So enough of the snide comments.

3rd - I'm not going to spend a second worrying about what Joe at another table is wearing but if Joe is wearing dockers, sports coat, shirt without a tie and is seated with me, while I am in ball gown - then yes it would ruin the ambiance. Sort of like wearing an evening gown into a Chili's Restaurant. So if you chose to flaunt the rules have the decency to not ruin it for others - ask for a table of 2. :eek:

Does it ruin your ambiance, when a woman is in a cotton maxi dress on formal night? Or when a woman is in a daytime dress on formal night? Or when a woman is in a non-dressy pair of pants and a sweater on formal night? I don't understand why all the fuss about the gentlemen's attire, but the women can wear anything they please. I think it looks funny for a man to be in a tux or other formal wear and his wife is not dressed in evening wear as well. Look around, it is not only the men that don't abide by the rules.

As I said, on my last Celebrity cruise, I wore 3/4 length gowns and felt very, very over dressed; a small percentage of the women were in formal and/or cocktail attire.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Does it ruin your ambiance, when a woman is in a cotton maxi dress on formal night? Or when a woman is in a daytime dress on formal night? Or when a woman is in a non-dressy pair of pants and a sweater on formal night? I don't understand why all the fuss about the gentlemen's attire, but the women can wear anything they please. I think it looks funny for a man to be in a tux or other formal wear and his wife is not dressed in evening wear as well. Look around, it is not only the men that don't abide by the rules.

As I said, on my last Celebrity cruise, I wore 3/4 length gowns and felt very, very over dressed; a small percentage of the women were in formal and/or cocktail attire.

I have not noticed mis-matched couples where the man is formal and the wife not but not disputing what you are saying. There is more leeway in women's dress due to the nature of our options and I also think ladies can make an outfit more dressy with accessories, men don't have the option, however I do feel that it is just as rude for a woman to disregard the dress code as it is for a man.

Our next 14 night cruise has 3 formal nights and due to my anniversary - I may chose to dress formal on an additional night, my choice. We will be dining in Murano and at a table for 2 :D so there will be no impact on any other cruisers and I'm not going to feel one bit over dressed. ;)

Greetings

You bring up a point that is rarely discussed. There is thread after thread on men's attire for formal evenings but seldom does lady's attire come under scrutiny. Has anyone ever seen a lady not admitted to the MDR during formal night because of her outfit?

On our last Equinox cruise there were more than a few ladies who wore what I (and most others) would call "jogging suits" on formal night. Most did add pounds of jewelry to the outfit, but they were still wearing stretchy pants and sweatshirts. I guess it's all in your interpretation of "fancy pantsuit". So please forgive us men who complain about the need to don a stiffly starched shirt, a constricting tie and a suit, tux or dinner jacket (not a sportcoat or blazer) just to enjoy a meal in the MDR.

Good Sailing

Tom

The problem lies with the passengers. The menu in the MDR on formal night usually has prime rib, lobster, etc. and most people want to eat there no matter what. Few people will forgo that just because of a dress code. It's up to Celebrity to turn away anyone that's underdressed and we all know that rarely happens. And the dress code offenders are the one's that take advantage of their leniency.

Greetings

You bring up a point that is rarely discussed. There is thread after thread on men's attire for formal evenings but seldom does lady's attire come under scrutiny. Has anyone ever seen a lady not admitted to the MDR during formal night because of her outfit?

On our last Equinox cruise there were more than a few ladies who wore what I (and most others) would call "jogging suits" on formal night. Most did add pounds of jewelry to the outfit, but they were still wearing stretchy pants and sweatshirts. I guess it's all in your interpretation of "fancy pantsuit". So please forgive us men who complain about the need to don a stiffly starched shirt, a constricting tie and a suit, tux or dinner jacket (not a sportcoat or blazer) just to enjoy a meal in the MDR.

Good Sailing

Tom

I agree. This is an issue in the workplace too. Men's dress codes are much more formal and rigid than women's.

I'm leaning more and more against bringing the tuxedo on the trip. It will require a lot of room in my suitcase for stuff I'll only wear for a couple of hours. I may just push the envelope and go with a decent pair of slacks, comfortable shoes, a nice collared shirt and a sport coat. I could also wear a dressier pair of jeans if I really want to push the limits (which I like doing anyway -- I'm not a great conformist). There's no way I'm going to wear a tie of any kind.

And I plan to eat in the MDR every night, including the formal nights. I'm not going to pay extra for a specialty restaurant. I go to fancy restaurants at home all the time, and I like the idea of eating in the dining room every night with the same waiter. Also, I can't see the point of paying for something twice. And I don't do the buffet for dinner. I want to sit down and be served. So that alternatives really don't work for me.

I find that if you walk around with confidence, people are less likely to challenge you. I'm always very nice to the staff and tip well. As long as I'm not too far beyond the limits, I doubt they're going to challenge me.

Edited by vanvleckeren

IMO it’s not rude for some Cruisers not to comply with the published evening dress guidelines. All the main stream Cruise lines are at fault here by not enforcing their own guidelines. Simple!

You cannot speak for others by saying “don't denigrate the ambiance for the rest of us that enjoy formal dress”. We are part of the "US" and how others elect to dress doesn’t affect our evening and enjoyment in the MDR. Bummer for you if it does! Not that it matters we comply with the evening dress guidelines and stay dressed that way the entire evening. Simple!

Isn't this thread fun.

I see your first cruise will be on the Solstice in Feb. 2015.

"I haven't worn a tie in over 15 years and that includes weddings and funerals so if by not wearing a tie means I can't attend a formal night in the MDR then I will have to get used to the buffet menu."

My question to you is, will you try to enter the diningroom underdressed or will you assume you're underdressed on formal nights and go to a specialty restaurant or buffet? On your 35 night cruise, you'll have at least 6 formal nights. Your post about not wearing a tie seems a bit hostile, so I'm curious what your intentions are. Will you be traveling with others, like a wife, life partner or friends that will want to attend a formal dinner in the MDR? Please elaborate.

SDT

Edited by SHill64

I agree. This is an issue in the workplace too. Men's dress codes are much more formal and rigid than women's.

I'm leaning more and more against bringing the tuxedo on the trip. It will require a lot of room in my suitcase for stuff I'll only wear for a couple of hours. I may just push the envelope and go with a decent pair of slacks, comfortable shoes, a nice collared shirt and a sport coat. I could also wear a dressier pair of jeans if I really want to push the limits (which I like doing anyway -- I'm not a great conformist). There's no way I'm going to wear a tie of any kind.

And I plan to eat in the MDR every night, including the formal nights. I'm not going to pay extra for a specialty restaurant. I go to fancy restaurants at home all the time, and I like the idea of eating in the dining room every night with the same waiter. Also, I can't see the point of paying for something twice. And I don't do the buffet for dinner. I want to sit down and be served. So that alternatives really don't work for me.

I find that if you walk around with confidence, people are less likely to challenge you. I'm always very nice to the staff and tip well. As long as I'm not too far beyond the limits, I doubt they're going to challenge me.

I'm sure whatever you do no one will pay a bit of attention. Kind of takes all the fun out of being a non-conformist.;)

Greetings

Good Sailing

Tom

That is why I've brought it up, I don't understand why women can wear daytime dress, but men are chastized for the same thing. Why is there this double standard? I saw a woman in a mumu and she was let in the dining room.

I've always dressed formally, but on my next cruise, I'm going to dress down some, because I felt so over dressed on my last cruise. I'll still wear what I consider as cocktail attire (will still be more dressed up than the majority), but not doing the gown thing again, unless the percentage of those dress formally increases or Celebrity starts turning those men and women who are not dressed per the guidelines.

Edited by NLH Arizona

That is why I've brought it up, I don't understand why women can wear daytime dress, but men are chastized for the same thing. Why is there this double standard? I saw a woman in a mumu and she was let in the dining room.

I've always dressed formally, but on my next cruise, I'm going to dress down some, because I felt so over dressed on my last cruise. I'll still wear what I consider as cocktail attire (will still be more dressed up than the majority), but not doing the gown thing again, unless the percentage of those dress formally increases or Celebrity starts turning those men and women who are not dressed per the guidelines.

I agree. The whole thing is very one-sided.

The reality is that we live in a less and less formal culture, for better or worse. It goes in cycles and I'm sure formality will come back. But right now a lot of people don't care for it, and don't want to dress up. It's hard for a company that makes its money catering to the public to stand up to large numbers of people who don't wish to follow those rules.

The decline in formality is reflected in workplaces, which used to require dark suits, white shirts and ties for their male employees. Over time, they have become more and more casual, and few workplaces require suits and ties at all anymore. People got sick of wearing them. I still have to wear a suit and tie every day and I'm sick of it. Once I retire, I'll never put on a suit again.

Edited by vanvleckeren