Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

You are correct however there is a little more to it. The most important thing you said is common sense. If you read my previous post, my son was told by the Maitre'd to go to the MDR with jeans on formal night and they would give him a jacket. We of course did not do that opting for other alternatives. Point I'm making is that Celebrity has to get their act together because they are causing some of these problems.

I guess because of my previous profession, I will always follow the rules. I have never worn a sport jacket to the MDR but I am certainly not going to tell someone that realistically they won't be allowed into the MDR with one on. That is common sense also.

Did I say anything like that? All kinds of things are possible but my comment stands. There are a lot of things that get by but common sense still tells most people that sports coats are not "formal".

I've cruised Royal Caribbean several times and will be cruising Celebrity in May.

I wear jeans to the dining room regularly on non-formal nights, with a collared polo or button down shirt. Can I get away with this on Celebrity?

Formal night I wear slacks with a jacket and no tie. I hate dressing up and don't want to bring a suit. I wear suits every day at work and the thought of wearing one on vacation depresses me. Can I get away with this jacket/slacks combo?

Alternatively, I'm thinking of going to the other extreme and bringing a tux or renting one. It's not something I wear often so it might be fun for a couple of hours on formal night.

Jeans are not a problem on non-formal nights, as long as they don't have rips and tears. I've saw a lot of men in jackets and slacks during formal night on my last cruise.

On my last cruise, I felt a little over dressed. I had 3/4 length gowns (I enjoy dressing formally now that I'm retired, because I don't get to do it as often as when I worked) on and I was in the minority; maybe 10 percent of the women that I saw had what I would call formal wear. There were a lot of what I would call daytime dresses on women, a lot of summer maxi dresses and a lot of pants and tops. It seems to me that some are so critical of what the men wear, but the women can get away with basically anything.

From the FAQs on Celebrity's website:

What is the onboard dress code?

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks. Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings.

Note that it says "INCLUDES", not is required......

It says required right in your own quote. Read it again.

Did I say anything like that? All kinds of things are possible but my comment stands. There are a lot of things that get by but common sense still tells most people that sports coats are not "formal".

The most important thing on this board is that people get the correct information and unfortunately although a sport coat is not within the dress code of formal, people do wear them and Celebrity allows it. Your comment is correct but so is mine, blame Celebrity for that and I certainly do understand why they do it.

Why is it that some are so critical of what the gentlemen wear, but have no problem that most women (on all my Celebrity cruises at least) are not in formal or even semi-formal attire?

I think it looks funny for a man to be in a tux or other formal dress, when his wife and/or partner is in a cotton maxi dress or regular day time dress or a pair of non-dressy pants and a sweater. Maybe it is just me, but shouldn't the women be held to the same standard as the men! As I said in another post, I was dressed formally on my last cruise and felt very, very overdressed.

Edited by NLH Arizona

From the FAQs on Celebrity's website:

What is the onboard dress code?

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks. Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings.

Note that it says "INCLUDES", not is required......

It says required right in your own quote. Read it again.

Parsing the text in question, I'd interpret it to mean that formal attire is only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings, and that it includes the listed apparel for women and men.

Of course, the stickier wicket here is the word "includes", which means to comprise or contain as part of a whole. To state that the MDR menu includes a salad every night does not mean that salads are the sole menu choice, and to state that formal attire includes tuxes etc. does not mean that they are the sole acceptable garments on formal night.

I'd suggest that there would be a great deal less debate here if Celebrity was to develop a single dress code for use on its website and shipboard publications, and write it in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner so as to eliminate multiple interpretations.

Given the elimination of the Canadian penny, that's my nickel's worth for now.

Edited by Fouremco

Fouremco,

While I agree that Celebrity should write what it wants, the follow-up would be to enforce what is written.

Writing a rule with no intention of enforcing it as worthless as your Canadian penny! (no intention of being ugly or rude with that statement.....I just am continuing with your last post)

Fouremco,

While I agree that Celebrity should write what it wants, the follow-up would be to enforce what is written.

Writing a rule with no intention of enforcing it as worthless as your Canadian penny! (no intention of being ugly or rude with that statement.....I just am continuing with your last post)

No offence taken! :) You are 100% on target, consistent enforcement is a very necessary element.

I also think that Ma Bell and some of the other posters are perfectly correct in stating that we should focus on the meaning of the word "formal" and spend less time trying to see what we can get away with.

Personally, I think that Celebrity was right to use the word "includes" because it provides room for the inclusion of dress uniforms (sorry, not ghillie suits), kilts with Prince Charlie jackets or similar and other attire that is generally considered acceptable in a formal setting. Unfortunately, there are those who are unwilling or unable to understand the gist of a broadly written policy and expend their energies looking for loopholes.

Edited by Fouremco

We just returned from a 14-day exotic southern caribbean cruise on the Eclipse. We traveled with another couple, and while the husband was very nicely dressed with dress slacks, a long sleeved shirt and tie, he refused to pack a sport coat. The maitre d pulled him off to the side as soon as we entered the MDR and provided him with a jacket to wear. It was a little embarrassing but it worked out.

I agree 100%. If a sport coat is formal wear, than all the salesmen that walk into my business trying to sell me materials are formally dressed? Since when does a formal dinner jacket have elbow pads?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

I agree 100%. If a sport coat is formal wear, than all the salesmen that walk into my business trying to sell me materials are formally dressed? Since when does a formal dinner jacket have elbow pads?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

Don't believe that anyone on this thread has said that a sport s coat falls within the definition of formal wear. What has been said is that Celebrity will not deny you entry into the MDR on formal night if you are wearing a sport coat.

Edited by dkjretired

I was disgusted with RCCL when they allowed shorts and flip flops into main dinning.

I NEVER saw jeans on anyone on a Celebrity cruise. I someone wishes to cruise and dine in jeans, there are many budget cheap cruise lines to choose from. I for one select Celebrity because they keep the grand style of cruising alive.

Please have some taste and leave your jeans in the room or for shore trips.

I NEVER saw jeans on anyone on a Celebrity cruise. I someone wishes to cruise and dine in jeans, there are many budget cheap cruise lines to choose from. I for one select Celebrity because they keep the grand style of cruising alive.

:rolleyes: The simplest of searches will reveal images of Celebrity passengers of all ages wearing jeans on board. As long as it is not against the rules (and I've yet to see a ruling against it), I will wear mine on non-formal nights as proudly as I will wear my Tuxedo (in Blu, where it's not even required) on formal nights.

I was disgusted with RCCL when they allowed shorts and flip flops into main dinning.

While I personally agree and would never wear jeans when dining, Celebrity has no prohibition against them. It's hard to fault passengers who follow the rules.

:rolleyes: The simplest of searches will reveal images of Celebrity passengers of all ages wearing jeans on board. As long as it is not against the rules (and I've yet to see a ruling against it), I will wear mine on non-formal nights as proudly as I will wear my Tuxedo (in Blu, where it's not even required) on formal nights.

You are correct, until about two years the web site specifically said jeans were prohibited however I believe around Jan. of 11 they were removed from the prohibited items. Since then people are allowed to wear them and I have seen numerous people on Smart Casual nights wearing jeans.

This last year of 2013, I have learnt many good things relating to what is required or acceptable in all categories for our first upcoming Celebrity cruise. I noticed a post the other day that stated that only up to 10% of cruisers would follow this site. This is my opinion only in thinking that this may be one of the reasons why some cruisers have misconceptions on what is correct and what is not.

May we all have wonderful cruises during 2014:)

Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings. The dress code in Celebritys specialty restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass guests, is Smart Casual & Above for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time.

FAQ

Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings. The dress code in Celebritys specialty restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass guests, is Smart Casual & Above for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time.

OK, I guess your blue jeans are not mentioned but neither is being naked. I guess maybe it would be nice for everyone to dress a bit in the spirit of cruising on an upscale line as Celebrity. I t just adds to the overall nature of the experience. After all, there are places to dress like you are at a duck dynasty convention but fine dining on Celebrity is not one.

Sorry I'm old school who loves to experience cruising as a special experience and just not one big party where anything goes.

I have not cruised for a couple of years. Do they still require a suit for formal night, or will a shirt and tie be okay?

Tuxedos are there but a nice suit or conservative sport coat are fine. I wear suits and a dark blue blazer and tan trousers with shirt and tie.

We just returned from a 14-day exotic southern caribbean cruise on the Eclipse. We traveled with another couple, and while the husband was very nicely dressed with dress slacks, a long sleeved shirt and tie, he refused to pack a sport coat. The maitre d pulled him off to the side as soon as we entered the MDR and provided him with a jacket to wear. It was a little embarrassing but it worked out.

Some enforcement of the guidelines, at least until they run out of jackets.:D

If some other passenger is offended because I may or may not wear jeans in the evening then they better get a thick skin because we are planning a 35 day back to back cruise and they are going to have a real miserable time. I haven't worn a tie in over 15 years and that includes weddings and funerals so if by not wearing a tie means I can't attend a formal night in the MDR then I will have to get used to the buffet menu. Before someone asks why I don't where a tie, principally because I cant be bothered and by not wearing one has neither affected my attendance at functions nor has it affected others at said functions.

Isn't this thread fun.

Let's see.....MY definitions follow:

- A tux is (usually) worn with a bow tie and has satin lapels and down the pants. Can have tails.

- A dinner jacket is the tux jacket, but does not have tails. Can be of a different color than the pants.

(Tux and Dinner Jacket are really the same thing, but originated in different areas, thus the different names)

- A suit has pants and a jacket that are made out of the same fabric, usually worn with a coordinating tie

- A blazer/sports coat is just a coat - does not match the pants. May or may not be worn with a tie

Wonder what the fashion police would say if you showed up in a purple tux....would THAT be 'allowed'??? :p

One of these days I'm going to wear a green tux on a cruise. They really don't cost that much. It could be a lot of fun. Purple might not be that bad. The orange tux it has to be the best. I would love the looks I would get. A cruise is about having a good time. Richard