Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Hello,

Trying to convince my husband to go outside of Rostock and was looking at Wismar and Schwerin. Is it possible to do both in one day or is that trying to fit too much in? If you had to choose one, which one would you lean towards. I think the castle looks beautiful in Schwerin but the architecture looks gorgeous is Wismar.

Does the train from Rostock go though Wismar to get to Schwerin or would it be two different directions for both cities? We could only do both if this was the case

Thank you!

Hi Anni,

I've just booked a cruise (Princess) for summer (August) 2015 and I'm looking for recommendations on where to stay for 2-3 days before the cruise. I'm thinking we'll fly to Germany and as we're coming from the US we like to spend a few days getting over the time change before we embark on the journey. I'm very familiar with train travel in Germany and I want someplace convenient for transfer to the ship. Thank you in advance. I also have bookmarked your website.

I am seeing fares for 49 Euros from Hamburg HBF to Berliner HBF but no 29 Euro fares. Am I making a mistake?

QUOTE=Travelanni;42520087]

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

Schwerin and Stralsund are entirely different so really it is a matter of what you wish to see.

Schwerin is an inland town built around seven lakes. It is baroque in character with a beautiful fairy-tale type castle. A large part of the castle and the grounds are open to the public.

www.schwerin.com/english

Stralsund is a medieval port city built mostly in Red Brick Gothic style . There are good museums in well restored, UNESCO heritage listed buildings; a state-of -the-art Oceanarium showing mostly the sea-life of the Baltic and the German naval sail-training ship which is open to the public.

www.stralsundtourismus.de/en

Your day is long enough to do full justice to Stralsund or to combine another town, eg. Wismar or Rostock, with Schwerin. There is more information on my web site for both towns, how to get there, train times, suggested walking routes etc.

There is no ticket which would cover both days. For the Warnemünde to Schwerin/Stralsund day you would need a Mecklenburg Lander ticket, 26 euro for two people, plus a local, single journey ticket for the s-bahn if you travel to Rostock before 9:00.

Between Hamburg and Berlin there are frequent ICEs (Germany's top train). The standard price is around 78 euro pp. but for your date of travel special tickets, from 29 euro pp, are available on-line from 11th May. These trains are fast and very comfortable with plenty of luggage space. 1st class is not worth the extra!

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni -

Thanks so much for the info. I was wondering if you knew if there was a train that goes between Schwerin and Wismar? We were hoping to visit both in one day and we wanted to see if there would be time. Strausland looks pretty but I think we would prefer to do Schwerin and Wismar if possible. Thanks again for your help!

I am seeing fares for 49 Euros from Hamburg HBF to Berliner HBF but no 29 Euro fares. Am I making a mistake?

No, you are not making a mistake. The prices which I quoted were per person but there is now obviously a better offer for two people travelling together. The offers change all the time and I can only quote what I see at the time of the question. When searching for myself I check every day. Wish I could take advantage of these kinds of prices but I always travel solo!

Grab your tickets while you can, this offer may not last long.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Travelanni... I found your information to be very helpful planning our vist to Warnemunde this June. My question is how many fare zones via train from Warnemunde to Bad Doberan. Your web site says 4; I have seen 3 quoted elsewhere. Thanks.

Travelanni... I found your information to be very helpful planning our vist to Warnemunde this June. My question is how many fare zones via train from Warnemunde to Bad Doberan. Your web site says 4; I have seen 3 quoted elsewhere. Thanks.

You are quite correct. Something I missed when updating the web site. :oThank you for bringing it to my attention and for your appreciation of the rest of the site.

There are 3 fare Zones between Warnemünde and Bad Doberan, the cost of a day ticket is 7.20 euro.

I have now corrected this on the web site. My apologies for the mistake.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

You mentioned you also have info for the above city. We start June 26 from the airport to the cruise port C330. I know a taxi will be available - is there an easier way to get to the cruise port and not so expensive as a taxi?

We are off the Eurodam and return July 7th where we would like to go from the ship and travel around on our own. Do we take a train to the main square? Do you have a site for a good walking map?

thanks again, you helped with all your info in Rostock!! Lynda

You mentioned you also have info for the above city. We start June 26 from the airport to the cruise port C330. I know a taxi will be available - is there an easier way to get to the cruise port and not so expensive as a taxi?

We are off the Eurodam and return July 7th where we would like to go from the ship and travel around on our own. Do we take a train to the main square? Do you have a site for a good walking map?

thanks again, you helped with all your info in Rostock!! Lynda

Hi Lynda, thanks for your appreciation re information on Rostock.

I have offered information re travelling between Copenhagen and Berlin but never on Copenhagen itself. I would not know where to start !

My region is NE Germany, the Copenhagen expert is Danish Viking on his thread 'Wonderful Copenhagen'.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772831

I think you will find answers to all your questions there.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni,

I wish I had read your posts before our trip last summer. You are so helpful!

We will be in Hamburg twice on a 8 day cruise on Cunard's QM2. Could you make some suggestions on places to visit within an hour to an hour and a half by train from Hamburg. We enjoy walking around charming villages rather than museums. I also read about a miniature world in Hamburg. Is that far too touristy or geared only for children? Is it walking distance to the cruise port?

Thank you very much for any help.

Ricki

Hi Anni,

I wish I had read your posts before our trip last summer. You are so helpful!

We will be in Hamburg twice on a 8 day cruise on Cunard's QM2. Could you make some suggestions on places to visit within an hour to an hour and a half by train from Hamburg. We enjoy walking around charming villages rather than museums. I also read about a miniature world in Hamburg. Is that far too touristy or geared only for children? Is it walking distance to the cruise port?

Thank you very much for any help.

Ricki

Although I know Hamburg and the area to the east quite well I'm afraid that my knowledge of the rest of the surrounding area is a bit sketchy. There are plenty of things to see and do in Hamburg itself some of which are quite unusual. Search 'Hamburg attractions' for ideas.

Towns within one and a half hours by train worth visiting are Lübeck (medieval city) 45mins; Schwerin (city built on seven lakes with fairytale castle) 1 hour; Ludwigslust (Baroque town with beautiful schloss and park, important WWll conection with US military) 1 hour; Lüneburg (pretty town untouched by WWll with well preserved old buildings) 35 mins.

More information for the first three can be found on my web site.

The miniature world is in fact a model railway! However it has to be seen to be believed.

www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

It is very touristy but definitely for all ages and within easy walking distance of the Cruise Terminal, through the historical canal-warehouse district.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Although I know Hamburg and the area to the east quite well I'm afraid that my knowledge of the rest of the surrounding area is a bit sketchy. There are plenty of things to see and do in Hamburg itself some of which are quite unusual. Search 'Hamburg attractions' for ideas.

Towns within one and a half hours by train worth visiting are Lübeck (medieval city) 45mins; Schwerin (city built on seven lakes with fairytale castle) 1 hour; Ludwigslust (Baroque town with beautiful schloss and park, important WWll conection with US military) 1 hour; Lüneburg (pretty town untouched by WWll with well preserved old buildings) 35 mins.

More information for the first three can be found on my web site.

The miniature world is in fact a model railway! However it has to be seen to be believed.

www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

It is very touristy but definitely for all ages and within easy walking distance of the Cruise Terminal, through the historical canal-warehouse district.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you very much, Anni. Your advice is so valuable!

Ricki

we are trying to sort out our stop in Kiel. We're not crazy about doing Hamburg. And another member in our party objected to Lubeck (don't get me started!) - HAL has a countryside tour but it looks like a lot of driving around .

Any suggestions for other options? Ideally - I would like to find a local tour company to organise something!

TIA!

we are trying to sort out our stop in Kiel. We're not crazy about doing Hamburg. And another member in our party objected to Lubeck (don't get me started!) - HAL has a countryside tour but it looks like a lot of driving around .

Any suggestions for other options? Ideally - I would like to find a local tour company to organise something!

TIA!

Hi,

I am afraid that I do not know any local guide companies in Kiel but the Tourist Information Office does offer tours

www.kiel-sailing-city.de/en/angebote/suchen-buchen.html

Last year friends of mine took the following day out from their ship. Even the ladies loved it!

A very nice ferry ride from Kiel towards the Baltic is La Boe, a small, charming seaside town with a nice beach. But the main interest here is the

Laboe Naval Memorial . Started in 1927 and completed in 1936 as a monument to the World l war dead of the Kaiserliche Marine.

After Germany's surrender in May 1945, the Marine-Ehrenmal was taken over by the British occupation forces. However, it was not destroyed because, as the British Military Administration stated, the memorial "does not glorify war and the spirit of aggression, but belongs to those whose intention is a personal tribute to the seamen who died for their country.”

In 1954 it was returned to the German Naval Association and rededicated to commemorate the sailors of all nationalities who died during the World Wars.

The monument consists of a 72-metre high tower with an observation deck 85 m above sea level. Underneath is the Hall of Rememberance. This is a very special place of pilgrimage to people of many nationalities (including myself) who lost family at sea during a war.

www.deutscher-marinebund.de/geschichte_me.htm

Part of the complex is a naval museum and the grounds feature various artifacts including the World War II-era German Submarine U-955, the world's only remaining type VII U boat, which is open to the public.

www.warmuseums.nl/gal/061gal.htm

Traditionally every ship passing the Memorial (and there are dozens every day going to and from the Canal) dips its flag in salute as this is the only memorial in the world to commemorate ALL sailors of ALL nations.

However it is by no means a grim place. The setting is beautiful and both the exterior and interior architecture is unusual and interesting. The view from the observation platform is stunning. The little town is very pleasant with a lovely beach, shops,cafes and restaurants. The short walk from the ferry terminal is along the seafront or you can take the 'Baderbahn', a small 'road train' which is certainly not just for the kids.

There is a regular ferry service between the 'Seegarten' pier next to the cruise terminal and La Boe. The ride takes an hour through the sheltered waters of the fijord. Timetables and fares at

www.sfk-kiel.de/en/index.php

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Thank you! I'm going to look into all of that!

I am also tyring to sort out Warnemunde. I've decided that I will stay in the port town rather than travel elsewhere- mostly because I will be alone with my 15 month old baby. WOuld have loved to do Rostock or another location..but for now it's too much for me. Unfortunately - it's too late to get on one of Dave's local tours.

We were just going to walk around the town and get some good local food. Any recommendations about restaurants?

We were just going to walk around the town and get some good local food. Any recommendations about restaurants?

There are a whole lot of restaurants along the canal in Warnemunde, you just need to walk through the train station and turn right, on both sides of the canal and main street. If its a nice day ... walk all the way up to the beach and just enjoy the sea side (lake side LOL) Bring a pail so the little one can dig in the sand.

There are a whole lot of restaurants along the canal in Warnemunde, you just need to walk through the train station and turn right, on both sides of the canal and main street. If its a nice day ... walk all the way up to the beach and just enjoy the sea side (lake side LOL) Bring a pail so the little one can dig in the sand.

Thanks, Sauer-kraut. Exactly my answer but the time difference between Chicago and Germany means that you are still awake when I am asleep so you beat me to it. A good choice for a day with a 'littlie'.

However, for the benefit of cruisers considering staying in Warnemünde a couple of points need to be explained.

It is not a CANAL, it is a HARBOUR for fishing boats and pleasure craft (tour boats, yachts etc.) Formerly the mouth of the river, it was blocked off at the landward end when the present shipping channel was cut further east. It is called the 'Alter Strom' or 'Old Stream'. The street to the right before the bridge is the fish market with fishermen smoking and selling fish right beside the boats, lots of good fish restaurants and stalls selling fishy snacks here. The pedestrian street on the other side is called 'Am Strom' and is the main tourist area for souvenir shops and cafes but the market square and main street of the town are several streets further back. In between are a couple of streets lined with old fishermen's cottages, mostly now converted into holiday apartments but still keeping their exterior charm, well worth a stroll. All these streets lead directly to the beach.

And 'lake-side' for our beautiful Baltic Sea beach?

One of the best beaches in Germany with many attractions: wide, clean golden sands; the original home of the Sand-Korbe (the basket seats which protect from the sun and wind); a mecca for kite-flyers; safe, shallow, water which is ideal for kids; a kids playground on the beach; beach volley-ball courts; a cafe right in the middle of the beach as well as two or three right on the edge (you can sip your drink with your toes in the sand); a long, wide promenade with lots of seats.

If you feel like a longer walk, beyond the promenade the path takes you along the low cliffs, through woods which come right down to the beach. Bicycles can be hired and there are miles of coastal paths on both sides of the river. There is also the 'Baderbahn', a small road train which does a tour of the town and the sea front.

On the other side of the river, via the small ferry, is the Höhe Dune resort, interesting to wander round. At the end of the breakwater is a seal research facility, open to the public. This side of the river offers a good opportunity for clear photos of the cruise ships. Beyond the resort are miles and miles of wide, sandy beaches but beware! This beach is 'FKK' ie. nudity is allowed. Unlike designated 'nude beaches' in other parts of the world, not everyone takes off their clothes although many do, so don't venture if you would be offended.

Someone on Tripadvisor called Warnemünde 'the surprising Jewel in your cruise itinerary' and those who take the time to explore usually agree. It is a nice change from the cities of a port-intensive cruise (especially if you are travelling with small children) and a great place on a summer evening after a long day sightseeing to relax with a drink within sight of your ship.

Try 'Warnemunde pictures' in your search engine!

Enjoy!

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

• 2 weeks later...

Anni

Spicy Red sent me to your site, and helpful, it is!! We are in Warnemunde mid July on the Royal Princess. Going by train to Rostock looks quite easy. Am I correct in reading that just the day s-bahn ticket is all we need to go to Rostock and return to the ship? It looks like you can also travel around the city of Rostock, and Warnemunde with the same ticket. Is that correct? Is buying your ticket on-line cheaper or just more convenient? Can you walk to the train station in Warnemunde or should you take a taxi?

Thanks for your help.

Lynette

Anni

Spicy Red sent me to your site, and helpful, it is!! We are in Warnemunde mid July on the Royal Princess. Going by train to Rostock looks quite easy. Am I correct in reading that just the day s-bahn ticket is all we need to go to Rostock and return to the ship? It looks like you can also travel around the city of Rostock, and Warnemunde with the same ticket. Is that correct? Is buying your ticket on-line cheaper or just more convenient? Can you walk to the train station in Warnemunde or should you take a taxi?

Thanks for your help.

Lynette

Hi Lynette, thank you for your appreciation.

Rostock by train is very easy. The train station in Warnemünde is right alongside the cruise terminal, directions can be found on the Warnemünde page of my web site. You will be docked at P8. For a good map of the terminal and surrounds see

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/passenger-information.html

The local day ticket covers all travel, (train, tram, bus and cross-river ferry) in Rostock and Warnemünde after 9am. Local tickets cannot be bought on-line but only from a ticket machine on the left or from the station office situated behind the shop on the right, as you come up from the subway.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hello Anni from a fellow QLDR,

We've followed your wonderful sites now for a year and think we've kept up with your updates.

We are joining Lynette where our cruise eg starts in Warnemunde. The plan I've hatched is to fly into Hamburg Friday 3:30pm, catch a train to Schwerin, stay two nights, then catch the train to Warnemunde. Post cruise, train back to Hamburg airport.

I believe DW and I can purchase a Lander ticket at the airport train station, for the 26€ for two. We'll need to switch trains in Hamburg city to get to the Schwerin line.

Can you confirm the Lander is available at the airport station or are we in the wrong state/region for that?

Is it possible to buy a through ticket to Warnemunde but still do the overnight stays or do we need to buy two more weekend tickets to go from Schwerin to Warnemunde on the Sunday morning.

Alternatively, there is discussion about a discounted ticket for visiting the Baltic coast.

Is this available to us in Hamburg, given our overnight stays in Schwerin enroute to Warnemunde from Hamburg?

Upon disembarkation we intend to return the same day to Hamburg Airport.

We are most grateful for any assistance,

Kel and Joyce. :)

Hello Anni from a fellow QLDR,

We've followed your wonderful sites now for a year and think we've kept up with your updates.

We are joining Lynette where our cruise eg starts in Warnemunde. The plan I've hatched is to fly into Hamburg Friday 3:30pm, catch a train to Schwerin, stay two nights, then catch the train to Warnemunde. Post cruise, train back to Hamburg airport.

I believe DW and I can purchase a Lander ticket at the airport train station, for the 26€ for two. We'll need to switch trains in Hamburg city to get to the Schwerin line.

Can you confirm the Lander is available at the airport station or are we in the wrong state/region for that?

Is it possible to buy a through ticket to Warnemunde but still do the overnight stays or do we need to buy two more weekend tickets to go from Schwerin to Warnemunde on the Sunday morning.

Alternatively, there is discussion about a discounted ticket for visiting the Baltic coast.

Is this available to us in Hamburg, given our overnight stays in Schwerin enroute to Warnemunde from Hamburg?

Upon disembarkation we intend to return the same day to Hamburg Airport.

We are most grateful for any assistance,

Kel and Joyce. :)

Hi Kel and Joyce, thank you for your appreciation. Your plan is great.

To answer your questions.

1. As you are travelling from Hamburg the Lander ticket which you need is the 'Hamburg-Schleswig Holstein Lander Ticket'. This covers Mecklenburg if travelling from Hamburg so is OK for destination Schwerin. Cost is 30€ for two people. These tickets are valid on s-bahn and RE (Red) trains only.

2. The Lander ticket is available at the airport, from a machine. It would be much easier to purchase on-line. (Or I might be able to help here.)

3. Landers are day tickets so you would need to buy a Mecklenburg Lander Ticket for the Schwerin-Warnemünde leg of the journey. 26€ for two people.

4. The Baltic Coast ticket is not available from Hamburg and is only a day ticket anyhow.

I guess from the Ships Schedules that you will be arriving in Hamburg during the week prior to 20th July. I will be in Hamburg/Schwerin that week so if I can be of any personal assistance (eg getting through Hamburg) please drop me a line on anniellis@arcor.de

I would love to meet you.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni,

Thank you for finding time on your Sunday to provide such a comprehensive reply. Fantastic information there.

Yes, it is the 18th we touch down in Hamburg.

Let's see if we can meet up for sure. Email to follow. :)

Anni,

We will be in Travemunde on Saturday, July 27, which I understand is the second to last day of the Travemunde Week sailing festival. We certainly want to spend several hours visiting Lubeck.

Should we anticipate any unusual problems traveling by train to and from Lubeck because of the festival? How much time might we want to spend in Travemunde because of the festival? And is there anything else in the area nearby we should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Anni,

We will be in Travemunde on Saturday, July 27, which I understand is the second to last day of the Travemunde Week sailing festival. We certainly want to spend several hours visiting Lubeck.

Should we anticipate any unusual problems traveling by train to and from Lubeck because of the festival? How much time might we want to spend in Travemunde because of the festival? And is there anything else in the area nearby we should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Hi, as Travemünde is virtually joined to Lübeck the transport between the two is fast and frequent, both trains and buses, so there should be no real problem. There will be more visitors around than usual but that will have been catered for, it is an annual event.

The city of Lübeck itself is the area's main attraction and an evening in Travemünde is very pleasant so I am sure you will find more than enough between the two to fill your time. For directions and on how to get from the train station to Lübeck city centre please see the relevant page on my web site.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

While in Warnemunde we want to spend the day visiting quaint towns within 1-2 hrs of Warnemunde to get the true flavor of Germany. We enjoy walking around, possibly taking a self-guided walking tour, stop in a cafe for a coffee, enjoy the local architecture & people, pop in a boutique or local craftsman shop, have a stein in a beer garden, and enjoy a true German meal. Anyone have suggestions for which town(s) to visit besides Rostock? Thanks