From Host Andy - Kindly Read This Post

Andy

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to 2014 !

Over the past few days, I've been working on a 2014 "wish list" for our community. Fortunately, our Community Manager (LauraS), has beat me to it... and I truly hope that everyone will take a few moments to read Laura's outstanding & spot on post : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/annou...php?f=28&a=360

I sincerely hope we'll all work together, and lead by example, to make our fantastic community even better. Please join me, and my fantastic Co-Host, Host Michell, in supporting Laura's mission.

Thanks very much, and Happy New Year !

Andy, thanks. I like the direction Laura (and the Hosts) are taking and appreciate your mission.

The one thing I would add is the definition of "critic." Often, people (usually those new to cruising or CC) think it means CC is inviting negativity without understanding the definition of a critic: one who makes a value judgment. In other words, to paraphrase the mission, CC should be used to provide value to others, be the information great, good, bad or ugly. :) Cruisers come to CC looking for information or to share their personal experiences. To me, that's what it's all about.

Andy, thanks. I like the direction Laura (and the Hosts) are taking and appreciate your mission.

The one thing I would add is the definition of "critic." Often, people (usually those new to cruising or CC) think it means CC is inviting negativity without understanding the definition of a critic: one who makes a value judgment. In other words, to paraphrase the mission, CC should be used to provide value to others, be the information great, good, bad or ugly. :) Cruisers come to CC looking for information or to share their personal experiences. To me, that's what it's all about.

Thanks Pam for making a very important point regarding the definition of the word "critic". All to often posters are compelled to search out those things they didn't like rather than looking at the big picture. I rather enjoy the contributions that reflect on fact rather than personal bias.

Thanks Andy for Laura's outstanding and spot on post. I am fairly new to Cruise Critic, but find it by far the best website for cruise news, cruise ship info and anything you might want to know about cruising. My husband and I have been cruising since the early '70s and will continue to do so until our personal ships sink....................

I mention Cruise Critic to everyone who ask me about cruising and hope that they will become as excited to cruise as we are...................

I found Laura's post a good refresher. Especially about those who post "do a search." Sometimes it's very hard to find an answer to a question (and very time consuming) by using the search feature so I understand why people ask - even if it's been dealt with many times. We just need to give them the answer and not make them feel badly for asking, as Laura said.

In regards to the name "Cruise Critic", I think a different name would have been better and caused less confusion about the mission/purpose of this website. Something more positive would have been nice, but that's a moot point now. :)

In other words, to paraphrase the mission, CC should be used to provide value to others, be the information great, good, bad or ugly. :)

I agree with this 110%. The only problem is, it contradicts the last sentence of Point #8 in Laura's post. Sometimes, when reporting honestly and fully, one has to say things that aren't nice. Still, we should all try to say not-so-nice things in a nice tone, if that makes any sense.

On my honor, I will try to do my best for God, my country and Cruise Critic. Thanks for reminding us what Cruise Critic is all about.

And I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. :D

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to 2014 !

Over the past few days, I've been working on a 2014 "wish list" for our community. Fortunately, our Community Manager (LauraS), has beat me to it... and I truly hope that everyone will take a few moments to read Laura's outstanding & spot on post : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/annou...php?f=28&a=360

I sincerely hope we'll all work together, and lead by example, to make our fantastic community even better. Please join me, and my fantastic Co-Host, Host Michell, in supporting Laura's mission.

Thanks very much, and Happy New Year !

Andy, thanks for the posts from you and Laura.

I've been on the boards for quite a few years and appreciate all our fellow cruisers have to offer. One thing I would like to see are "cleaner" posts. By that I mean, adding something pertinent or offering an opposing point of view are great. What I don't appreciate are the pointless posts of some of the veterans who simply agree/say the same things as everyone else. Perhaps if the threads weren't so long because of people saying the same thing, it would be easier for everyone to search more quickly and may even avoid duplicate posts.

Just my two cents.

Happy New Year!

• Administrators

Happy New Year, everyone!

Thanks, Andy, for your post, and also to Laura for her "Wave" post.

One thing I did want to add is that if you see a post (or thread) which you believe violates our Guidelines, please report it to us by using the triangle icon in the upper right corner of the post. Andy and I each visit this board several times per day (except when one of us is on a cruise, of course!), but the triangle reporting system helps us respond even more quickly.

Happy sailing to all!

Thanks, Hosts Andy, Mitchell and Laura. I never have understood the snarky comments on CC. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but to verbally attack others over cruising issues is uncalled for. We're talking about vacations, not life-or-death issues.

Thanks Andy for Laura's outstanding and spot on post. I am fairly new to Cruise Critic, but find it by far the best website for cruise news, cruise ship info and anything you might want to know about cruising. My husband and I have been cruising since the early '70s and will continue to do so until our personal ships sink....................

I mention Cruise Critic to everyone who ask me about cruising and hope that they will become as excited to cruise as we are...................

I'm pretty new too and agree 100%

Well said Laura, keeping the true spirit of the boards and its main purpose need to be reminded every so often. Even criticism can be constructive.

the Cruise Critic boards not only help me plan an upcoming cruises but helps me get thru our cold, snowy winters while we are waiting for our next cruise. I also helps me keep in touch with friends I have met on these boards. I would really miss it if it was not here.

I found Laura's post a good refresher. Especially about those who post "do a search." Sometimes it's very hard to find an answer to a question (and very time consuming) by using the search feature so I understand why people ask - even if it's been dealt with many times. We just need to give them the answer and not make them feel badly for asking, as Laura said.

In regards to the name "Cruise Critic", I think a different name would have been better and caused less confusion about the mission/purpose of this website. Something more positive would have been nice, but that's a moot point now. :)

I think it is all in the spelling cruise critique would be more apt but do all countries use this word?

I booked my first cruise 6 months before, which I now understand was not a long time but it seemed like for-ever! That was over 5 years ago and I learned so much from this forum which has helped me to fall in love with cruising. If I have not said it before, or for awhile... THANK-YOU ALL and I hope my posts can pay it forward to the new cruisers!