Few last minute questions on food

1. Can you order food, say, from MDR's dinner or something, and get it delivered to you via room service?

2. Are there any stores onboard that you can buy snacks in?

3. Can you bring food from ports on board?

1. Only GRand Suites and above can order off the menu for room service. There s a limited room service menu for everyone else.

2. There are pricy snacks available for purchase at he General store. Also many ships have a cafe or something similar to get free snacks in.

3. No meats, fruits or vegetables allowed to be brought on board but prepacjaged snacks are ok.

To add, snacks generally are 3-4 dollars. I usually bring my favorite splurges, and pack them in my suitcase. Depending on your ship, there's lots of places to get free snacks on board, plus there's always the free, and for fee ice cream/yogurt.

Wait the ice cream isn't free anymore?

Though snack snacks, like mixed nuts, trail mix, potato chips, and the like are hard/expensive to find on board.

Corn chips and artichoke dip was available through room service, as was lighter items such as salads, sandwiches, and more substantial food like chicken fingers and fries.

The windjammer has food available throughout most of the day, and there are a number of other food services available with different hours (the RCL website will describe what's available for your specific ship and an overview of what they offer and approximate times).

You can buy packaged snacks in ports, and I find that carrying on some local snacks and beverages always makes for a nice afternoon snack after a day running around port. I saw bags of chips for ~$1-1.50 at the convenience stores in some of the ports, and <3 the ginger beer that's readily available in the caribbean. I also have heard rumors of people *cough me cough* carrying on a mini or two of the local rum to mix with said ginger beers to enjoy on the balcony during sail away.

Although this is not exactly what you asked, it may work for you. We've brought food/snacks back to our room from the windjammer: a plate of cheese, sushi, nachos, etc. I usually cover the plate with a second inverted plate so it's safe to carry through the hallways.

Also, when we've dined in the MDR but were too full for dessert, we were able to get it "to go" so we could have dessert on our balcony a few hours later.

Thanks, all this is very helpful!! I'm a late night snacker and was worried I wouldn't be able to bring food in my room or something.

Sad about not being able to order MDR items for room service. Back in my last cruise we could, on an interior suite.

Although this is not exactly what you asked, it may work for you. We've brought food/snacks back to our room from the windjammer: a plate of cheese, sushi, nachos, etc. I usually cover the plate with a second inverted plate so it's safe to carry through the hallways.

Also, when we've dined in the MDR but were too full for dessert, we were able to get it "to go" so we could have dessert on our balcony a few hours later.

The staff in the Windjammer will be happy to give you a plate cover. :)

I did not order them but they sent me a package of chips, 1st time ever in Dec. , with my room service order and a plate of something else I can't say what..... sheesh!!! Because everyone would ask for it .....I didn't... but the guy pulled off the lid and said this is a surprise....... I like to order the cheese plate and the fruit plate for snacks. When I ordered they asked me how many I was entertaining. I said two. I also take a couple of plastic bags to keep a couple of cookies in my room. Sometimes bring me an orange down. I only tip a couple of bucks when they bring my order but sometime I get the feeling they really appreciate your ordering room service. One time I came in the room to a plate full of niceties and there was a note from the room service chef thanking me for using room service. I don't have a very nice voice over the phone but I do try to be nice to them and respectful of them. I guess these are tips a few of them can keep and share and realize a fast nickel is better than a slow dime.

Edited by dealer9296

Sad about not being able to order MDR items for room service. Back in my last cruise we could, on an interior suite.

Well I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere. :) Here is a link to the Room Service menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36762748&postcount=5 <--click here

The staff in the Windjammer will be happy to give you a plate cover. :)

On the Liberty last week they had signs posted at the exit of the Windjammer saying no food to be taken beyond this point. I actually saw some stopped and turned back and others let through depending on who was working at he entrance / exit. They also did not allow any plastic cups coffee or water to be removed, they had you pour the contents into a paper cup. This is the first I have seen this. seemed like such a waste using all those paper cups.

It also seemed to be more enforced the days we were in Cozumel. In the port they had the food sniffing dogs checking everyone.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

It also seemed to be more enforced the days we were in Cozumel. In the port they had the food sniffing dogs checking everyone.

That makes perfect sense; have seen the dogs on the pier. They are absolutely strict about food being taken off the ship and yet some folks still "don't get it". :rolleyes:

1. Can you order food, say, from MDR's dinner or something, and get it delivered to you via room service?

If I remember correctly you are sailing on Jewel OTS. It's the only Radiance class ship to still have a Seaview Cafe. The Seaview is open till 1 AM most nights and has good bar type food, burgers, hot dogs, Cuban sandwiches, Nachos , etc.

New to Royal and have a question. I will be going on the Radiance of the Seas in Aug. Can you bring any kind of soda and water onboard when embarking. I drink lots of water and husband likes to carry gingerale. Thanks

1: only grand suites and up may do this. everyone else has a limited/basic RS menu.

2: there are more than enough free options that no one needs to spend money on the overpriced( and probably stale) prepackaged stuff in the sundries shop.

3: bring all the rum cakes you have room for in your luggage.

New to Royal and have a question. I will be going on the Radiance of the Seas in Aug. Can you bring any kind of soda and water onboard when embarking. I drink lots of water and husband likes to carry gingerale. Thanks

Yes, you can bring soda and water. We've brought a case of water and a couple 4-packs of Diet Rockstar for DH.

The official rule is no, but it is rarely enforced for soft drinks and water. We have put a luggage tag on a case of water, and it was delivered to our room with our luggage. We also like to drink diet coke with lime, and have carried on a 12 pack without a problem.

Plate covers..

One night on our last cruise, I was not feeling well last minute, and because we had traditional dining with table mates, my husband went to tell our waiter as a courtesy that he was so sorry we would not be able to make it and that I was under the weather. We loved our waitstaff and were worried if we left the message with anyone else, he would not receive it. Our waiter did just as Merion Mom said- insisted on sending hubby back with two huge plates and covers! Yummy! Talk about great service!!