Qsine with toddler?

andnosyd

Hi all,

We're traveling on the Constellation in September with our 2 year old daughter. We're traveling in a suite, and since we're getting 2 free speciality dinners, I was wondering what people would recommend? I saw on the Celebrity website that the only restaurant is the The Olympic that she wouldn't be allowed in. She's generally really good and can make it through an hour and a half dinner easily.

Anyone been to Blu with a toddler or Qsine?

Thanks for any input!

It doesn't and although it's a 'fun' dining experience, it wouldn't be fun for a 2-yr old.

The Connie has the Tuscan and the Oceanliner specialty restaurants, both I believe have a 12 or older requirement. They are not good for toddlers.

We got babysitters who were from the Children's program office and that worked great. I think they require 2 and it's $10/hr. Not bad at all.

The MDR, the Buffet, even the Bistro on 5 which charges $5pp would work for the small ones, but not the specialty restaurants.

Enjoy!

Den

Edited by Denny01

Hi all,

We're traveling on the Constellation in September with our 2 year old daughter. We're traveling in a suite, and since we're getting 2 free speciality dinners, I was wondering what people would recommend? I saw on the Celebrity website that the only restaurant is the The Olympic that she wouldn't be allowed in. She's generally really good and can make it through an hour and a half dinner easily.

Anyone been to Blu with a toddler or Qsine?

Thanks for any input!

Better check your ship! Constellation does not have Qsine nor Olympic restaurants. Instead they have Tuscan Grille and Ocean Liners, both of which are excellent.

Edit: Just saw that Denny01 already posted this same info. So, I'll change my post to read: "Denny01 is correct - again!" :D

Edited by boogs

My apologies, we'll be on the Millennium, which I think has Qsine. We were last on the Constellation, so that's what I must have been thinking. So are we better off just getting a babysitter? How long does Qsine take for dinner? Thanks for everyones input.

As others have said, Constellation does not have Qsine but does have Tuscan Grill.

Some else pointed out that it does not have the Olympic Specialty restaurant but does have Ocean Liners. This is true but other than the name and décor the restaurants share the same menu and style of food and service. On the Century and S class ships this style of specialty restaurant is called Murano but the M class ships all have different names including the Normandy on Summit, Olympic on Millennium, Ocean Liners on Constellation, and SS United States on Infinity.

The only Specialty Restaurant which does not allow children is the Murano type restaurants. The other style specialty restaurants (Qsine, Tuscan Grill, Silk Harvest and Lawn Club Grill) do allow children.

My experience is that most specialty restaurants take about 2 hours + for dinner in order to enjoy the experience. I imagine that if you have a small child and want them to speed this up they could, on request, by taking your order quickly and shortening the time between courses. Qsine might be a little harder than the others since its nature is to have many different courses of small sharing plates rather than the traditional 3 or 4 course meal. So shortening things at Qsine might be a bit counter productive but you can discuss this with the Maitre d' in advance of your visit.

Edited by Lsimon

Since you have two free dinners and the restaurants won't be appropriate for your little one- get a sitter for those two nights. They have in cabin babysitting after 8PM. I used it when my son was 13 months old and he loved the sitters! They would walk him around the ship, read stories to him. It worked out really well.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

My apologies, we'll be on the Millennium, which I think has Qsine. We were last on the Constellation, so that's what I must have been thinking. So are we better off just getting a babysitter? How long does Qsine take for dinner? Thanks for everyones input.

I think a babysitter would be best. When I went to Qsine on my last cruise, there was a child about 5 or so and although she seemed to enjoy the fun of the food presentation, it did seem to be quite long for her. I think our dinner took two hours or so.

The dinner at Qsine will take a minimum of two hours and there is SOO much food. It is a neat concept and we enjoyed it. My son was 11 at the time and I saw some other small children in there but I know that a two year old won't be all that interested. If you don't get a sitter- you can take her. It's not a fancy place.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Some kids are great. Some are not. You know your own kid best. If you think that a long dinner would be uncomfortable, get the babysitter.....or be ready to take the kid out of the restaurant if they get annoying. People dine everywhere with kids. Most parents know how to read the signs that their kids are uncomfortable. When I travel or eat out with my grandkids, I always bring some entertainment......small toy, coloring book, etc. Cruising dinners can get lengthy. Often if you tell the server that you would appreciate a quicker dining experience, they understand. In the end, it is your call. Qsine is fun. Love Bistro on 5. Murano is very slow. Even I get frustrated waiting for the next course there. Tuscan Grill may be best for kids who like pasta. It is a bit more relaxed than the other restaurants. Lawn Club may also be fun for kids....outside under the stars. Have fun. I love traveling with the kids.

While Qsine does permit children and it's loud and rowdy enough that your toddler probably wouldn't disturb other guests, I would strongly recommend the babysitter route.

The dinner will be loonnnggggg, and really can't be rushed. It will be way longer than the hour and a half that you suggested is good for her. The pace is leisurely as they bring out only a few dishes at a time with big gaps between. I can't imagine any child not getting tremendously bored.

Moreover, the atmosphere is pretty stimulating and even the best behaved child would get fussy there. Though I doubt that would actually disturb many others, it would probably be pretty hard on you.

You might want to show her the room during the daytime as it's an "Alice in Wonderland" kind of place.

The specialty restaurant perk for suites is only on S class ships. On M Class and Century you don't get complementary dining in the specialty restaurant just for booking a suite.

Possibly you have free dinners from another source?

The specialty restaurant perk for suites is only on S class ships. On M Class and Century you don't get complementary dining in the specialty restaurant just for booking a suite.

Sorry, but that is not correct. I have sailed on an M class ship in a suite and we did receive our two complimentary dinners in a specialty restaurant.

Sorry Linda. I wonder if this had changed after adding specialty restaurants during the refits. I thought originally it was just S class.

Dining

• One complimentary dinner for all guests in suite (cruise of 6 or 7 nights) and two complimentary dinners for all guests in suite (cruise of 8 nights or more) in a specialty restaurant. Available on Solstice® Class and Millennium® Class ships only. Also available with Penthouse Suite and Royal Suite on Celebrity Century®.

You are wrong. M-class ships offer the same speciality restaurant perk as the S-class for anyone who books a suite. 1 complimentary dinner for a 6 or 7-night cruise, 2 dinners for cruises 8 nights or longer.

It even states this on Celebrity's website under suite amenities.

Two years in a row (2012, 2013) we booked a royal suite and our friends had sky suites on the Summit, an M-class ship, and we all had dinner in the Normandie, at no cost to any of us.

If anyone has told you otherwise, they are incorrect.

Sorry, but that is not correct. I have sailed on an M class ship in a suite and we did receive our two complimentary dinners in a specialty restaurant.

I agree. We have always rec'd our complimentary dinner and we are always on M-class ships (with one exception).

As long as you understand that the food in Q-Sine is not for infants, that the meal can take 2 hours or more, AND you are willing to leave if the baby becomes fussy and disruptive to the dining environment it should be fine.

Treat it as you would any other non-family themed restaurant. If the baby is not enjoying the evening neither is anyone else: you LEAVE.

If you are not staying in an AQ cabin, there is an age limit of 12 in Blu. From the web site:

Guests dining in the following Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old: Murano, SS United States, The Olympic, Ocean Liners, The Normandie. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass® staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

Additionally, onboard our Solstice® Class ships, children that are booked in suites that are at least 12 years old will be accommodated in Blu when dining with an adult, based on availability only. Please note a $5 per guest gratuity is recommended for any suite guests dining in Blu.

Edited by dkjretired

Thanks for the responses. I understand where people are coming from with 'get your kid out of there if she acts up', so no offense taken. I was just trying to get my 'value' for booking a suite, but it sounds like the best approach may be getting a babysitter. She's been on Disney and HAL and sat through an hour and a half dinner(s) before with no problems as long as we come prepared with crayons, small toys, etc.. Sounds like Qsine might be ok, but we'll have to figure it out when we get onboard I think.

This brings me to another question then…could you order from the speciality restaurants and eat it in your stateroom, like on a suite on Disney? Or is it only the MDR that you can order?

Thanks again.

Quisine took over three hours last November on the Silhouette. We had 10 people eating there. It is definitely better to go with a group as there is so much food. And the more people, the more fun and the more choices you will have. I have eaten there with large groups on two different cruises so i dont know what it would be like for just two. But you certainly would not get to sample as many different choices, which is why i recommend more people.

But I think a very young child would probably not enjoy it there under any circumstances.

JMO

Anne