Century - your thought please

baycruising

We loved Silhouette and are eagerly anticipating New Zealand on Solstice. Now thinking about the south pacific on Century but rather put off by some comments and the news that Century will be leaving X. Does this mean she might be looking very tired by October 2014?

Would appreciate views of recent cruisers please

We loved Silhouette and are eagerly anticipating New Zealand on Solstice. Now thinking about the south pacific on Century but rather put off by some comments and the news that Century will be leaving X. Does this mean she might be looking very tired by October 2014?

Would appreciate views of recent cruisers please

Century is due to go into drydock the end of this month for a week for a quick spruce up (soft furnishings, carpet, bedding, linens, draperies) and to do regular maintenance. So by October she should still be looking great before she's sold the following year.

I hope this alleviates some fears :)

Jason

We did a 15 night Hawaii cruise on Century recently and IMO the ship was in very good condition. The one thing I couldn't help but notice was that the themopane seals were gone on about a half dozen of the windows in the Hemisphere Lounge and they were fogged up badly. The service from the staff was excellent and we'll be back on her next month after its dry dock.

attachment.php?attachmentid=298461&d=1389526219

CIMG0342a.jpg.ae3be96219494dd1c2855af0acca49f4.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Century is due to go into drydock the end of this month for a week for a quick spruce up (soft furnishings, carpet, bedding, linens, draperies) and to do regular maintenance. So by October she should still be looking great before she's sold the following year.

I hope this alleviates some fears :)

Jason

Century is only going into a technical dry dock, meaning bottom paint. I spoke with an officer on the ship and this was the info he gave me. The ship is in good shape but the cabins are a turn off.

Hi, everyone has different opinions about every ship in the fleet. Century

is the oldest, smallest ship.....Reflection is the newest, largest ship.

I have sailed both and will be back on Century next month for a 7th

time:D.....she was my first ship and I still love her.

She is having a week's drydock early next month.

Oh....I think the cabins are just fine, just my opinion.

Hi bc,

I agree with Lois! The Century is a different experience compared to the new Solstice Class ships. We've cruised the Century three times and will revisit her again in April. We've cruised the Solstice Class ships six times and will be back onboard the Eclipse next December.

Celebrity seems to recognize that there are not as many bells and whistles on the Century, so they make sure the food and service are all top notch.

We just disembarked her last week and here is my take on that cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1967469

Enjoy!

Kel:)

PS -- yes the cabins are fine, but a few have A/C issues. The ship is 18 years old.

Edited by kelmac

I agree with above two posters. Century was our first Celebrity ship and will always have a special place for us. That being said, she is NOT a Solstice Class ship. Not as many venues, a lot less people, but still provides an excellent cruising experience. We were on her in 2013 and had a great time. The rooms are fine, will be better after dry dock with a little fretting up. I would not hesitate to sail her again

Did a Hawaii cruise on Century this past October. Had never cruised on Celebrity until this cruise (cruised primarily on HAL and NCL). The ship was very clean and fairly well maintained (had small A/C problem for a few days). Waiter and cabin steward were wonderful, however our butler (had a sky suite) was terrible. Food was fair at best.

While we had an enjoyable cruise, we will most probably NOT return to Celebrity and stick with HAL, and an occasional NCL cruise.

I do hope they decide to spruce her up a little during the week long drydock. They have the time. If they don't, it's because they chose not to and that's unfortunate. There will be people whose first cruise on Celebrity will be on Century (like the previous poster) and base their opinion of Celebrity on one ship.

Did a Hawaii cruise on Century this past October. Had never cruised on Celebrity until this cruise (cruised primarily on HAL and NCL). The ship was very clean and fairly well maintained (had small A/C problem for a few days). Waiter and cabin steward were wonderful' date=' however our butler (had a sky suite) was terrible. Food was fair at best.

[/quote']

I think I might have had the same butler in 2012. He was just plain useless.

I do hope they decide to spruce her up a little during the week long drydock. They have the time. If they don't, it's because they chose not to and that's unfortunate. There will be people whose first cruise on Celebrity will be on Century (like the previous poster) and base their opinion of Celebrity on one ship.

I know I'll just be thrilled if they have that ratty, dated, carpeting changed, by the time we board next month! ;):D

Did a Hawaii cruise on Century this past October. Had never cruised on Celebrity until this cruise (cruised primarily on HAL and NCL). The ship was very clean and fairly well maintained (had small A/C problem for a few days). Waiter and cabin steward were wonderful' date=' however our butler (had a sky suite) was terrible. Food was fair at best.

While we had an enjoyable cruise, we will most probably NOT return to Celebrity and stick with HAL, and an occasional NCL cruise.[/quote']

I think I might have had the same butler in 2012. He was just plain useless.

We had a great butler on the ALOHACRUISE (2012). His name was Kolja (from Serbia) -- but our butler on Equinox said he's no longer with Celebrity. :(

you will have the same great service, wonderful food and a great mix of pasengers on the Century.

I too love the size and feel of the Century. The martini bar is the best fleet wide. It is like a real room and love the ceiling light that changes colors adn the chairs are really comfortable.

But like others have said it is not a S class ship, but so what?

We had a great butler on the ALOHACRUISE (2012). His name was Kolja (from Serbia) -- but our butler on Equinox said he's no longer with Celebrity. :(

He took care of us when Mr. Useless decided to take his time off at exactly the time we were having a party. If I hadn't found Kolja, we wouldn't have had our fruit and cheese for the party as well as enough wine glasses.

Other than to bring me an espresso each morning (which always arrived ice cold), this is the ONLY thing we ever asked of Mr. Useless.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

Food was exceptionally good along with dining room service when we cruised Century last Spring (Hawaii.) The Murano restaurant is excellent. The Captain and other officers were more visible than any I have seen in 37 years of cruises.

Hi Chris! We were in the same Sky Suite the cruise before Kellie Poodle and indeed the Butler was useless! His supervisor had been our Butler in another Sky Suite the year before and he was useless too! Anyway the food was excellent except for one off lobster tail but that was made right immediately. And this is said after sailing Aqua on Solstice class many times and loving the food in Blu. We are going on Century this summer in Alaska and are hoping to book B2B Singapore-Dubai, Dubai - Rome 29 nights spring of 2015! The ship was spotless, staff wonderful and management very visible - can't beat that!

Our waiter on the Century in October, Ivan, was from Serbia. He was fabulous. That was his last cruise on Century, he just started on Eclipse in January (maybe he knew the future??).

Food was exceptionally good along with dining room service when we cruised Century last Spring (Hawaii.) The Murano restaurant is excellent. The Captain and other officers were more visible than any I have seen in 37 years of cruises.

While we didn't think much of the quality of the food, we have to agree that the Captain, Hotel Manager, Murano Manager and the rest of the ship's officers where the most visible and engaging we have had on any of our previous cruises.

We would have coffee each morning in the Cova Cafe, and I guess that was the same time that the Captain, Cruise Director and Hotel Manager decided to meet for coffee as well. Each morning the Captain and Hotel Manager would greet us by name and have a quick chat.

We ate in the Murano one night and after that, each time we saw the Manager he would stop and talk to us as well. We were quite impressed by these folks.

We did our first cruise on the Century last year as we are new cruisers, we were visiting the US and wanted a small trip (San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Ensenada back to San Diego) to see if we liked cruising.

Well...we loved it! The ship was lovely, not too big and very comfy. The crew were absolutely excellent from the bar staff to our Sky Suite butler.

We then got off the ship and have booked cruise number 2 for this year.

When I saw Century was in Aussie waters, we have been thinking of another cruise on her. Definitely recommend.

We are on the February 15 cruise and are looking forward to sailing on the Century. But answer this question for me, "Why does anyone care if the officers are out and about and being friendly?" Maybe it's an age thing, but we aren't exactly young, 62 years old. Talking to these people make us uncomfortable. We try to avoid them. I just want them to do their jobs.

Hi Chris! We were in the same Sky Suite the cruise before Kellie Poodle and indeed the Butler was useless! His supervisor had been our Butler in another Sky Suite the year before and he was useless too! Anyway the food was excellent except for one off lobster tail but that was made right immediately. And this is said after sailing Aqua on Solstice class many times and loving the food in Blu. We are going on Century this summer in Alaska and are hoping to book B2B Singapore-Dubai, Dubai - Rome 29 nights spring of 2015! The ship was spotless, staff wonderful and management very visible - can't beat that!

Where's the "like" button around here? Singapore etc sounds so tempting....