HELP - Ireland-intensive Cruise?

InPR

Perhaps some of you cruise vets could help me out. I've been looking for a cruise that is either solely or heavily concentrated on Ireland. I mean, it could be the British Isles and Ireland. That would be fine. I have just had no luck in finding a cruise that went to more than a couple of ports in Ireland that didn't then jump off to some other random country. While generally I enjoy the diversity of such a cruise, I'm looking to really explore Ireland. Land travel is probably best for this, but I do enjoy cruising as a great way to visit a country.

Check Princess. They have offered a circular route around the British Isles.

You are correct. The best way to see Ireland is a land tour. The country isn't that large, it is easy to drive.

That may end up being the case. Logistically, a cruise affords many perks, which is why I was looking for one. However, too many do one or two cities and then visit 6 other countries.

There are less well known lines (to us in the US) that have tempting itineraries. Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose a port in Ireland that you would like to visit from the second port list. Swan Hellenic's Minerva has a nice itinerary leaving Portsmouth on 24 May. Saga Sapphire has one from Dover on 9 June, but you must be over 50 to sail Saga. there are lots of other cruises that visit three ports in Ireland. EM

There are less well known lines (to us in the US) that have tempting itineraries. Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose a port in Ireland that you would like to visit from the second port list. Swan Hellenic's Minerva has a nice itinerary leaving Portsmouth on 24 May. Saga Sapphire has one from Dover on 9 June, but you must be over 50 to sail Saga. there are lots of other cruises that visit three ports in Ireland. EM

I'll be sure to check those out. The over 55 is out for me, but I'll look into the rest. Thanks!

The BEST way to see Ireland & meet the locals is to drive! Speaking from experience having been there many times as my DH is Irish and his Mum came from Donegal, you will really get to see the country instead of just 1 port. Rent a car, stay at B&B's and eat Pub food, and you'll really fall in love with the country & the Irish people. Start in Dublin & go south and then all the way around the isle, you'll just love it. We too love cruising, but Ireland's coast line is not to friendly for cruise ships! Hope this will help you make a decision. Would be glad to tell you places that you shouldn't miss if you decide to take a driving tour (we've been all over as my DH has relatives from south to north!). Safe travels. :)

Norwegian Star has a great British Isles Itinerary with three stops in Ireland September 2015. Dublin, Belfast and Cork. I would highly recommend NCL. A more relaxed dress code and you can dine any time you want. Lots of dining options too

Edited by UpTheBanner