Is it still "exciting and new"?

beachbum53

No no! Not that.:D I'm talking about going on a cruise. The theme song for "The Love Boat" was just running through my head (darn it! It'll probably be stuck there all day). Even though we've been on several cruises, it's still exciting and new for us each time we go. Just the anticipation of waiting for embarkation day can create a giddy feeling. So, to those of you that have also been on several cruises, is it still "exciting and new" for you too? Even though you may have been on the same ship and/or the same itinerary more than once, does it still make your adrenaline go up just a little?

We've been on about 100 cruises and we still are just as excited each time we cross a gangway to begin another cruise. I hope we never lose that joy.

Sure, some cruises have been 'better' than others and we've settled into only sailing HAL but in years past we sailed other cruise lines.

We look for different things now in our cruises than we did when far younger and newer to cruising but we are no less excited.

I think so. I'm still very excited every time I cruise. What I found important though, is not always going on the same ship or cruise line. To get that "exciting and new" feeling again, I like to try different ships or a different cruise line.

And for us, the familiarity is what we welcome. We have sailed Maasdam over 30 cruises and love that ship and her crew. We always look forward eagerly to reboarding any HAL ship but particularly Maasdam. :)

We're all different. The trick is to 'know yourself' and do what works for you. :)

I couldn't agree more with the previous couple of posters. We just went on a Celebrity cruise (first time on Celebrity since 1997) and enjoyed the new experiences very much. Exploring a new, beautiful and different ship was great fun.

I think a lot depends on one's personality type. Some feel most comfortable with the "tried and true" and knowing what their experience will be. Others enjoy the novelty of things being different. (Different doesn't always mean good -- or bad -- just different.) Some people seem to get really bent out of shape if things aren't exactly the same on every cruise line. :confused:

Especially in the Caribbean, I'd be very bored on the same ship/same line every time, because the ports don't change much. On more port-intensive cruises (such as the Med) it's a different story; there, the "sameness" of the ship wouldn't bother me much if the ports were new and exciting. In fact, it would probably be a plus if I knew that I liked the ship or cruise line already and it had the amenities that appeal to me.

Every trip up the gangway, every saunter along the promenade deck, each chilled banana soup and drink of the day is exciting as the last. Some ports are more thrilling than others. But, the wife and I will often sit up in the forward cruise lounge of each ship as we steam into harbor and say to each other "It never gets old".

Jonathan

No no! Not that.:D I'm talking about going on a cruise. The theme song for "The Love Boat" was just running through my head (darn it! It'll probably be stuck there all day). Even though we've been on several cruises, it's still exciting and new for us each time we go. Just the anticipation of waiting for embarkation day can create a giddy feeling. So, to those of you that have also been on several cruises, is it still "exciting and new" for you too? Even though you may have been on the same ship and/or the same itinerary more than once, does it still make your adrenaline go up just a little?

Yes, after several cruises it is still always new and exciting, even to the same ports.

Some people seem to get really bent out of shape if things aren't exactly the same on every cruise line. :confused:

That baffles me too. The last thing I would want is for all cruise lines to be exactly the same. That would be awful.

And for us, the familiarity is what we welcome. We have sailed Maasdam over 30 cruises and love that ship and her crew. We always look forward eagerly to reboarding any HAL ship but particularly Maasdam. :)

We're all different. The trick is to 'know yourself' and do what works for you. :)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some people prefer to own a vacation home and are perfectly content always going to that same house. Cruising is no different. I can understand how some could think of one line, or more specifically, one ship as a second home. Or at least, they're favorite getaway. If it ain't getting old, why change it? ;)

Edited by Aquahound

That baffles me too. The last thing I would want is for all cruise lines to be exactly the same. That would be awful.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some people prefer to own a vacation home and are perfectly content always going to that same house. Cruising is no different. I can understand how some could think of one line, or more specifically, one ship as a second home. Or at least, they're favorite getaway. If it ain't getting old, why change it? ;)

Thanks. :)

You get it !

Every trip up the gangway, every saunter along the promenade deck, each chilled banana soup and drink of the day is exciting as the last. Some ports are more thrilling than others. But, the wife and I will often sit up in the forward cruise lounge of each ship as we steam into harbor and say to each other "It never gets old".

Jonathan

On nearly every ship, there is a small cluster of people (myself included) who will be the ones at the prow, if allowed, or in the forward lounge watching the sail in and sail out. I've always found that group to be some of the most genuinely enthusiastic about cruising in particular and travel in general. And the feeling of casting off or arriving somewhere new -- as you say, it never gets old. ;)

I say yes because we always try to cruise to someplace new these days so that part is always exciting so to speak. I say no because we pretty much cruise the Princess Grand Class ships exclusivly and know them very well and what to expect. Comfortable comes to mind. So for us to describe our cruises in two words: Exciting, Comfortable

Darn it! Now I'm singing that song (much to the dismay of my coworkers:eek:).

I'm a very sporadic cruiser, so it's always such an exciting thing for me. My first cruise was in 1995 and this one coming up will only be my 7th. So, it's far enough apart that it's always new. And, this cruise will be our 3rd cruiseline, so again... new!

It is always exciting and new. There is always something new to experience...new people, and a week doesnt give you enough time to experience everything....plus the things you may say, HEY, I want to do that again....:)

We no longer have any idea just how many cruises we have taken, but are certain that we have spent more then 3 1/2 years cruising on over 60 different vessels of 14 cruise lines (plus 3 River cruises). And yes, we still find every cruise exciting and get that ole "rush" as we step aboard for another cruise. We have met quite a few fellow cruisers who tell us they are bored or tired of cruising, but they all have something in common. They usually cruise on the same 1 or 2 cruise line and take similar itineraries. We keep it fresh by using many different lines (variety is always fun) and go on all kinds of different itineraries (to 6 continents). We continue to work on keeping it fresh so this year we will cruise over 70 days on HAL, Celebrity and Princess to the Caribbean, Europe and Australia/NZ. Our itineraries include a Transatlantic and a Transpacific which is the first time we have crossed both large oceans in the same year. For us, variety is still the spice of life :)

Hank

I have not cruised as much as many who've posted, but for what I've done and what I'd like to do, the joy is still there. My philosophy is that there is always something new to experience, new people to meet, a different dish to savor, places to explore whether on land or at sea, time to spend with my DH to create a new chapter in our lives, and time to be pampered (no cooking, cleaning, etc.). All in all....I'm just cruise crazy :-)

We will be doing a B2B on the Royal Princess in 3 weeks. The ship is our destination this time. there was so much hype about the Royal, I just had to book her to see for myself. So it will be both exciting and NEW. We are also close to 100 cruises mostly on Princess. Can't remember any that were not exciting even those that were not NEW.

It's always exciting to us--we've cruised about 30 times.

We prefer to try different lines and ships. We have sailed the most with Princess (10 times), and on our December cruise on the Golden it seemed a little ho-hum on the ship--probably because it was the second time in 2013 that we had sailed on that ship--for 14 days in February and 17 days in December. It was a little too familiar.

Haven't got a cruise planned now, but we are always looking. I think the next one will be on another line, just for something new. The entertainment and food can get too predictable.

But, everyone has their own idea of what they want and it's all ok.

About to take cruise #11 and it remains exciting and new to me every time!

My first cruise was inspired by that theme song you have running through your head! I dreamed of cruising for years after watching that show growing up.

My next cruise will feel even more EXITING AND NEW after a three-year (economy-forced) hiatus from cruising. It had been my habit to cruise once a year. Reading posts and review here, I know there are some changes since my last cruise. I'm SO excited! Just over 7 weeks until embarkation day!!:D

I don't mind familiarity and going to the same ports, but I am open to something new as well. I have been on 8 cruises. My husband has been on six.

For us, it is still exciting and new. Of course, compared to some of you who practically live on the ships (not judging, just thinking how nice it would be to have the time to do it)- six and eight cruises is nothing.

We just enjoy having a break from the ordinary- the usual pace of life with work. We usually cruise with our family, so it much more about family and spending time together than where we go or what ship we are on. We did two cruises on Mariner of the Seas and two cruises on Celebrity Solstice as a family. We have done the Eastern Caribbean route three times- St. Thomas & St. Martin are included on all of Eastern cruises we did. For Mariner, we got an extra beach day. For Solstice, we went to San Juan. Every time we have gone, it has been a different experience for us. We try different excursions or different restaurants. I have a co-worker from Puerto Rico so we were able to get some "local" and "insider" tips from her. You always see those restaurants that say 'Where the locals eat" but if you find someone willing to really help you embrace the culture, it is even better. The one cruise we did as a family on the Western itinerary was fun because it was just my husband, brother, sister, me, and my niece. We did a lot of beach days and tried to experience local culture. When we cruise with our parents- it tends to be more sightseeing and staying on the straight and narrow. Both have advantages.

But I could cruise the same ship and same itinerary several times and not get bored. The crew is different on each cruise we take (as we only cruise every couple of years). The ports change a little. I learn something new each time I go.

I would be open to trying new things and new ships. But cruising is wonderful and I can't think that it would ever not be exciting and new.

Always exciting & new! :)

This upcoming cruise is the first time we'll be repeating a ship, but it's been almost 10 years & she's been overhauled. I'm not super excited about the ports, our last cruise was the Med & this one is the Bahamas but hey, it's not being at home & having time off.

We always try to make sure there is something different about each trip....just like when we do land vacations. For cruises we look for a new port, either embarkation or on the itinerary, or a different ship or cruise line. If we go to an island we've been to before then we look for something different to do there....or stay on the ship if we want. Another switch up is who we go with. We've gone with our kids and without, with another family with kids our kids ages, and with extended family. Each cruise is different and unique in its own way.

Edited by Warm Breezes

We still love to cruise ... but have to admit we don't feel the extreme excitement and anticipation we one did. Not totally bad because we don't feel depressed when the cruise is over either. There's always another ship and another trip at some point. :)

While Princess is our favorite and the line we most often cruise, we also sail on a variety of other cruise lines. :)

LuLu

~~~~