Can cruiselines get a thread removed?

Karysa

Just curious. I know that at least some of the cruiselines have a staff member comb through cc. I have also seen where said rep responds to a thread stating that if the OP ( usually its the OP) would contact them, they would like to investigate the matter. What happens if this cruiseline staffer believes the complaint is unjust once the investigation into it is complete? Do they prove their point to the appropriate cc staff member(s) and ask that the thread be removed? What happens if the cruiseline deals with the OP and rectifies the complaint? Do the cruiselines get to post what they did to resolve the issue?

Just curious. I know that at least some of the cruiselines have a staff member comb through cc. I have also seen where said rep responds to a thread stating that if the OP ( usually its the OP) would contact them, they would like to investigate the matter. What happens if this cruiseline staffer believes the complaint is unjust once the investigation into it is complete? Do they prove their point to the appropriate cc staff member(s) and ask that the thread be removed? What happens if the cruiseline deals with the OP and rectifies the complaint? Do the cruiselines get to post what they did to resolve the issue?

See that little red triangle in the upper right-hand corner? If someone feels that a post violates Cruise Critic's rules for posting, they can click on it and add an explanation as to why they are flagging it. It's ultimately up to the moderators as to whether the post should be deleted. Just because a cruise line doesn't like something that's posted may not be a good enough reason to have the post removed.

See that little red triangle in the upper right-hand corner? If someone feels that a post violates Cruise Critic's rules for posting, they can click on it and add an explanation as to why they are flagging it. It's ultimately up to the moderators as to whether the post should be deleted. Just because a cruise line doesn't like something that's posted may not be a good enough reason to have the post removed.

Yes I know about the red triangle. So are you saying that the cruiseline staffer would just use that to plead their case as why the post is untrue?

I would certainly hope that the moderators would NOT delete a post just because a cruise line rep objected to it.

I am not speaking about just one negative post here. I wonder if a thread, lets say a complaint, just for arguments sake, that has thousands of views and hundreds of posts is actually found out to have been started by a phony. What can the cruiseline do about it if anything?

Edited by Karysa

I am not speaking about just one negative post here. I wonder if a thread, lets say a complaint, just for arguments sake, that has thousands of views and hundreds of posts is actually found out to have been started by a phony. What can the cruiseline do about it if anything?

My understanding is that it is up to the moderators as to which threads violate CC's posting rules and would then be pulled. This is an open forum with thousands of opinions expressed - many negative or exaggerated in their view - and simply because a cruise line (or other individual) thinks it is not true may not in of itself warrant the thread to be pulled. It is not up to CC to determine the validity of one's information in a given post - only to monitor its content with regards to posting policies.

Many first time or infrequent posters post negative comments simply to get pointed responses - and often their posts may contain less than accurate "truths". You just take it for what its worth and move on.

Everyone has the opportunity to express their concern about the information in a given thread as described. That, coupled with the moderators monitoring of the site, is usually enough to keep the threads "focused". But I don't think a given cruise line has any more "pull" per se than anyone else. Besides, most companies would think any negative commentary is inaccurate!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Looks like we are talking about the NCL issue. IMO, that thread's topic has been beaten to death, but it's up to the monitors to lock or remove it.

Darcy

I have seen many issues over the years where the cruiseline rep jumps in and we are left to wonder what happened. Was it true in the first place? Was it resolved? How is said cruiseline going to make sure it doesn't happen again. When a thread is up for a week or more with hundreds of posts and thousands of views it has obviously peaked some interest. I always read to the end if I like the book and often there is just no ending on here. I would like to read an ending by either cc or the cruiseline and then have the thread locked.

My understanding is that it is up to the moderators as to which threads violate CC's posting rules and would then be pulled. This is an open forum with thousands of opinions expressed - many negative or exaggerated in their view - and simply because a cruise line (or other individual) thinks it is not true may not in of itself warrant the thread to be pulled. It is not up to CC to determine the validity of one's information in a given post - only to monitor its content with regards to posting policies.

Many first time or infrequent posters post negative comments simply to get pointed responses - and often their posts may contain less than accurate "truths". You just take it for what its worth and move on.

Everyone has the opportunity to express their concern about the information in a given thread as described. That, coupled with the moderators monitoring of the site, is usually enough to keep the threads "focused". But I don't think a given cruise line has any more "pull" per se than anyone else. Besides, most companies would think any negative commentary is inaccurate!

Good info. When the cruiseline rep shows interest by asking the member to get in touch with them it is showing a little validation in regards to the complaint IMO. If said complaint is found to be bogus I would like to know about it. If said complaint is found to be truthful I would like to know what was done about that as well.

Good info. When the cruiseline rep shows interest by asking the member to get in touch with them it is showing a little validation in regards to the complaint IMO. If said complaint is found to be bogus I would like to know about it. If said complaint is found to be truthful I would like to know what was done about that as well.

When it comes to complaints on CC, I think part of the issue is the subjective nature of the complaint, which based on perception may be an issue to one and from another, not so. Sometimes its difficult to determine what is real and what is bogus.

As example, we were in line at Guest Services on one cruise recently on the first day due to a faulty room key. As it was the first day shortly after boarding, the lines were long with customers with various questions and it took about 10 minutes to get to a rep to help us. All was good, and we thanked her for getting to us quickly given the lines. As we left, the people behind us opened up on her complaining about how long they had to wait to get service and how they wanted to take their complaint to her supervisor! Same line - same time frame - different perception.

What to us seemed like prompt service given the circumstances was to them cause to get a supervisor involved with a complaint. So when people open up on this forum, subjectivity with their perception regarding the issue can skew its true reality. That's why I say you just have to take it for what its worth.

I'm not saying that there aren't real issues and that they aren't validly expressed here. And you are correct that if a cruise rep shows direct interest, that issue may be valid. And his interest is a good thing.

But for the most part, IMO, nothing is ever as terrible - or as perfect - as some may report it to be. Reality is usually somewhere in between.

When it comes to complaints on CC, I think part of the issue is the subjective nature of the complaint, which based on perception may be an issue to one and from another, not so. Sometimes its difficult to determine what is real and what is bogus.

As example, we were in line at Guest Services on one cruise recently on the first day due to a faulty room key. As it was the first day shortly after boarding, the lines were long with customers with various questions and it took about 10 minutes to get to a rep to help us. All was good, and we thanked her for getting to us quickly given the lines. As we left, the people behind us opened up on her complaining about how long they had to wait to get service and how they wanted to take their complaint to her supervisor! Same line - same time frame - different perception.

What to us seemed like prompt service given the circumstances was to them cause to get a supervisor involved with a complaint. So when people open up on this forum, subjectivity with their perception regarding the issue can skew its true reality. That's why I say you just have to take it for what its worth.

I'm not saying that there aren't real issues and that they aren't validly expressed here. And you are correct that if a cruise rep shows direct interest, that issue may be valid. And his interest is a good thing.

But for the most part, IMO, nothing is ever as terrible - or as perfect - as some may report it to be. Reality is usually somewhere in between.

It sure does peak my interest when the cruiseline does get involved though and I would really, really like to know the conclusion of the story and then have the thread locked. It's like reading 12 of 14 chapters and then losing the book but it's worse because you can't go to the bookstore and buy another one so you can find out what happened.

Since I had never seen any "Last chapters" by cc or the cruiseline I figured that this didn't happen but I thought that I would ask. Like I originally posted, I was just curious.:)

Edited by Karysa
Wrong buy:)

It sure does peak my interest when the cruiseline does get involved though and I would really, really like to know the conclusion of the story and then have the thread locked. It's like reading 12 of 14 chapters and then losing the book but it's worse because you can't go to the bookstore and buy another one so you can find out what happened.

Since I had never seen any "Last chapters" by cc or the cruiseline I figured that this didn't happen but I thought that I would ask. Like I originally posted, I was just curious.:)

I don't know the specific thread you refer to, but I do understand what you mean. Maybe the OP will post a "follow up" thread - especially if whatever the issue was wasn't resolved to their statisfaction! ;)

It is my understanding that if an agreement is reached about the issue and/or any compensation offered or accepted, the agreement often includes a stipulation that the information NOT be broadcast. In other words, if someone accepts an offer of compensation for a specific issue, they may not be able to post "the rest of the story" here or anywhere else.

Public message boards are what they are. Nine times out of 10 when I offer advice to someone here, I never hear back whether that advice was useful, whether the person took it, etc.

It may pique your curiosity, but that's something you have to live with. ;)

If I come on here and make posts about line ABC that are blatently false and the line could prove that they were I would suspect that CC would be obligated to do so or perhaps face some form of legal action.

I'm not talking about things that are hugely subjective such as saying "I think line ABC has the worst food on the seven seas" But rather something like "My whole cruise was ruined because line ABC left 17 hours late, have never sailed ontime once in 26 trips with them and unless you want to spend your whole cruise tied up to the dock where you started then you should never cruise with them." I'm certain if this kind of statement could be proven false by the line in question it would be axed fairly quickly.

Nine times out of 10 when I offer advice to someone here, I never hear back whether that advice was useful, whether the person took it, etc.

I'm going off-topic, I know.

But I find a big proportion of CC members do tend come back with thanks or whatever. The major exception being a lot of first-time posters - and that's probably cos they're still lost & can't find their way back. :D

Much more feedback on here than a certain UK cruisers' website. Yet it's we Brits who're suppose to the the polite ones. :rolleyes:

JB :)

I'm going off-topic, I know.

But I find a big proportion of CC members do tend come back with thanks or whatever. The major exception being a lot of first-time posters - and that's probably cos they're still lost & can't find their way back. :D

Much more feedback on here than a certain UK cruisers' website. Yet it's we Brits who're suppose to the the polite ones. :rolleyes:

JB :)

Oh I'm not complaining, mind you. It's the 1-2 out of 10 that keeps me posting here. :)

I take the position that not everything is our business. We may be curious and that is human nature but I don't feel a cruise line has any need to ever post on a public forum. If they choose to fine, but resolution to a problem is not necessarily appropriate here unless it involves hundreds or even thousands of people.

If it is a single person/small group/family, I would not expect to hear resolution or even verification a post was true or not or how it was or was not resolved.

It is my understanding that if an agreement is reached about the issue and/or any compensation offered or accepted, the agreement often includes a stipulation that the information NOT be broadcast. In other words, if someone accepts an offer of compensation for a specific issue, they may not be able to post "the rest of the story" here or anywhere else.

Public message boards are what they are. Nine times out of 10 when I offer advice to someone here, I never hear back whether that advice was useful, whether the person took it, etc.

It may pique your curiosity, but that's something you have to live with. ;)

Interesting. This makes some sense to me but since it's already out there ( and in here lol) a short recap or just the highlights ( both parties satisfied) ( .... Lessons learned and what will be done to prevent such an issue in the future) would be a nice way to end the thread. :)

I take the position that not everything is our business. We may be curious and that is human nature but I don't feel a cruise line has any need to ever post on a public forum. If they choose to fine, but resolution to a problem is not necessarily appropriate here unless it involves hundreds or even thousands of people.

If it is a single person/small group/family, I would not expect to hear resolution or even verification a post was true or not or how it was or was not resolved.

With that said and you read post after post from member after member it would sure be in the company's interest at times to let their current and potential customers know how they are rectifying the problem.

I found it interesting that a while back I posted that a particular River cruise was TWICE the price as another. Same # of days, same ports same itienerary, pretty much the only difference was that wine & beer at dinner wasn't included on the less expensive one. (I can buy a LOT of wine for $2600 for 12 days!!!!) Anyway....I mentioned the name of both lines.....the post was removed. I think mentioning a line is NOT the same thing as mentioning a TA, which I know is verboten but I don't know if they consider companies that offer European river cruises a TA, rather than a line, as some of them you have to book directly with them ..... at any rate I was quite surprised!

With that said and you read post after post from member after member it would sure be in the company's interest at times to let their current and potential customers know how they are rectifying the problem.

;) Their attorneys may not agree with you. :D

Almost every settlement that is made that is worth something comes with one of these. Not that long ago there was a poster on here that had an issue, fought with the company for a protracted period of time and was awarded something. The poster could only say that they were satisfied with the outcome but as a term of the settlement they could not discuss specifics. Read they signed a non disclosure agreement.

• Administrators

I'll answer one by one; my responses in RED

Just curious. I know that at least some of the cruiselines have a staff member comb through cc. I have also seen where said rep responds to a thread stating that if the OP ( usually its the OP) would contact them, they would like to investigate the matter. What happens if this cruiseline staffer believes the complaint is unjust once the investigation into it is complete?

Nothing happens on our end. If the cruise line would like to contribute to the discussion, they are welcome to do so.

Do they prove their point to the appropriate cc staff member(s) and ask that the thread be removed?

No, we aren't the judge or jury here. To be blunt, it wouldn't make any difference to us what the cruise line said. You know what they say about stories: there are THREE sides to every one of them: yours, mine and what really happened. The truth of the matter is, I have never had a cruise line ask me to remove anything of this nature from the forums.

What happens if the cruiseline deals with the OP and rectifies the complaint? Do the cruiselines get to post what they did to resolve the issue?

They are welcome to do so. EVEN BETTER would be if the original poster came back to the thread and posted what happened.

Hope this helps, Laura

• Administrators
I found it interesting that a while back I posted that a particular River cruise was TWICE the price as another. Same # of days, same ports same itienerary, pretty much the only difference was that wine & beer at dinner wasn't included on the less expensive one. (I can buy a LOT of wine for $2600 for 12 days!!!!) Anyway....I mentioned the name of both lines.....the post was removed. I think mentioning a line is NOT the same thing as mentioning a TA, which I know is verboten but I don't know if they consider companies that offer European river cruises a TA, rather than a line, as some of them you have to book directly with them ..... at any rate I was quite surprised!

I'm not sure how this relates to the question the original poster asked. An agency is an agency, and it doesn't matter if that's the only way you can book a cruise. No agencies allowed.

If you have a question about a policy as it relates to you personally, please send us an email.

Laura