Questions

Ruffles1

This is our second cruise (Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean 7-days, out of Miami, 1/25-2/1/14); however, it's been 12 years. Our cruise was booked by a travel agent both times. I have a few questions.

(1) We are arriving via air into Miami Saturday morning, 1/25, and have a transfer from the airport to the port. Do you usually carry your bags to your cabin or do you check them through to your room, and just bring a carry-on bag with necessities for the first few hours?

(2) Same question on last day: Do you put your bags outside your room by 10:00p on Friday night or do you carry them from your room off the ship? The travel agent advised setting them outside the room and then "reuniting" with them at check-out to "merge" your overnight items before checking them at the airport.

(3) Also, we are booked for the 8:30p dining: Is there open seating too? - Can we dine during the open seating period if we want to eat earlier than 8:30p?

(4) We have the 8:30p dining. On our last cruise (12 years ago), we were assigned to sit with another couple and they were our table-mates for the duration of the cruise. Can we sit by ourselves or are we assigned another couple to sit with for the duration? Last cruise, the other couple was really nice but they were newlyweds and probably preferred to be by themselves so they weren't really compatible with us.

(5) We have a Concierge cabin #1020. What perks go with a Concierge cabin? I don't believe we have access to Blu since it's not Aqua-Class - correct? Do we get special privileges for exiting the ship on the last day? In general, what are the benefits that go with Concierge class? (our cabin was booked by a travel agent)

(6) For future reference, how do you decide on a cabin, other than the obvious balcony or no balcony? What's the difference between the front of the ship vs the back of a ship? How do you know which side is "dock-side" so you can take photos from your balcony? Basically, what is the process to pick a cabin??

(7) I've checked the projected forecast for the ports. However, does anyone know what kind of temperatures we'll experience while at sea? Also, how cool does it get in the evening while at sea? Are there movie nights outdoors on this cruise? Trying to determine if the clothes I pack to wear while in ports (80+ degrees) is the same kind of clothes to plan on wearing while at sea? Should I bring a set of clothes to wear if outdoors in the evening on the ship (in other words, are evenings outdoors on the ship, considered cool)?

Thanks.

This is our second cruise (Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean 7-days, out of Miami, 1/25-2/1/14); however, it's been 12 years. Our cruise was booked by a travel agent both times. I have a few questions.

(1) We are arriving via air into Miami Saturday morning, 1/25, and have a transfer from the airport to the port. Do you usually carry your bags to your cabin or do you check them through to your room, and just bring a carry-on bag with necessities for the first few hours? You only carry on your carry on bags. Your "checked' bags will appear in your cabin.

(2) Same question on last day: Do you put your bags outside your room by 10:00p on Friday night or do you carry them from your room off the ship? The travel agent advised setting them outside the room and then "reuniting" with them at check-out to "merge" your overnight items before checking them at the airport. You will claim your bags ashore, before you go to Customs.

(3) Also, we are booked for the 8:30p dining: Is there open seating too? - Can we dine during the open seating period if we want to eat earlier than 8:30p? Research this on the Celebrity board

(4) We have the 8:30p dining. On our last cruise (12 years ago), we were assigned to sit with another couple and they were our table-mates for the duration of the cruise. Can we sit by ourselves or are we assigned another couple to sit with for the duration? Last cruise, the other couple was really nice but they were newlyweds and probably preferred to be by themselves so they weren't really compatible with us. Common practice is to talk to Maitre 'd to obtain a table for 2.

(5) We have a Concierge cabin #1020. What perks go with a Concierge cabin? I don't believe we have access to Blu since it's not Aqua-Class - correct? Do we get special privileges for exiting the ship on the last day? In general, what are the benefits that go with Concierge class? (our cabin was booked by a travel agent) Research on the Celebrity board.

(6) For future reference, how do you decide on a cabin, other than the obvious balcony or no balcony? What's the difference between the front of the ship vs the back of a ship? How do you know which side is "dock-side" so you can take photos from your balcony? Basically, what is the process to pick a cabin?? Huge topic...

(7) I've checked the projected forecast for the ports. However, does anyone know what kind of temperatures we'll experience while at sea? Also, how cool does it get in the evening while at sea? Are there movie nights outdoors on this cruise? Trying to determine if the clothes I pack to wear while in ports (80+ degrees) is the same kind of clothes to plan on wearing while at sea? Should I bring a set of clothes to wear if outdoors in the evening on the ship (in other words, are evenings outdoors on the ship, considered cool)? You have done the research. Those are the approximate numbers. For movies info, check on the Celebrity board.

Thanks.

The Celebrity board is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

For future reference, how do you decide on a cabin, other than the obvious balcony or no balcony? What's the difference between the front of the ship vs the back of a ship? How do you know which side is "dock-side" so you can take photos from your balcony? Basically, what is the process to pick a cabin??

Deciding on a stateroom is a matter of personal preference. Price is usually a big factor. Location can be for a number of reasons. Forward locations tend to feel the motion of the seas the most. Lower, mid-ship locations feel it least. Aft locations are desired by many because of the rear facing view and possibly larger balconies. Many people select a location near the elevator banks for convenience, others based on nearness to desired venues on board. In other words, it really is only up to you.

There is no guarantee of "dock side" - it is usually a 50/50 guess. It depends on the port and the captain. Quite often the same ship will dock at the same pier on one cruise on a different side or direction than the last time it was there. And many ports have piers that are perpendicular to the land so that either the front or the back would face the port, not one side or the other. Just decide on a general location you want and if it is a side location, don't worry about which side it is. The views will be great no matter where you are - and you can always go somewhere else other than your balcony to get the right view for a picture.

(1) We are arriving via air into Miami Saturday morning, 1/25, and have a transfer from the airport to the port. Do you usually carry your bags to your cabin or do you check them through to your room, and just bring a carry-on bag with necessities for the first few hours? You can only carry on bags that fit thru an airport style xray scanner

(2) Same question on last day: Do you put your bags outside your room by 10:00p on Friday night or do you carry them from your room off the ship? The travel agent advised setting them outside the room and then "reuniting" with them at check-out to "merge" your overnight items before checking them at the airport. Put them out the night before. You can do self carry, but why lug the suitcases when the ship will do it for you.

(3) Also, we are booked for the 8:30p dining: Is there open seating too? - Can we dine during the open seating period if we want to eat earlier than 8:30p? There is open seating, but you must chose either fixed (6:00 or 8:30) or open. Can't mix them. You can eat in the buffet

(4) We have the 8:30p dining. On our last cruise (12 years ago), we were assigned to sit with another couple and they were our table-mates for the duration of the cruise. Can we sit by ourselves or are we assigned another couple to sit with for the duration? Last cruise, the other couple was really nice but they were newlyweds and probably preferred to be by themselves so they weren't really compatible with us. If you want a table for 2, have your TA request it for you.

(5) We have a Concierge cabin #1020. What perks go with a Concierge cabin? I don't believe we have access to Blu since it's not Aqua-Class - correct? Do we get special privileges for exiting the ship on the last day? In general, what are the benefits that go with Concierge class? (our cabin was booked by a travel agent) No access to Blu

(6) For future reference, how do you decide on a cabin, other than the obvious balcony or no balcony? What's the difference between the front of the ship vs the back of a ship? How do you know which side is "dock-side" so you can take photos from your balcony? Basically, what is the process to pick a cabin?? The dock side can cahnge every week, depends on how the Captain and port want you to dock. You won't know til you get there.

(7) I've checked the projected forecast for the ports. However, does anyone know what kind of temperatures we'll experience while at sea? Also, how cool does it get in the evening while at sea? Are there movie nights outdoors on this cruise? Trying to determine if the clothes I pack to wear while in ports (80+ degrees) is the same kind of clothes to plan on wearing while at sea? Should I bring a set of clothes to wear if outdoors in the evening on the ship (in other words, are evenings outdoors on the ship, considered cool)?

Thanks.

bbbbbb

(1) We are arriving via air into Miami Saturday morning, 1/25, and have a transfer from the airport to the port. Do you usually carry your bags to your cabin or do you check them through to your room, and just bring a carry-on bag with necessities for the first few hours?

(2) Same question on last day: Do you put your bags outside your room by 10:00p on Friday night or do you carry them from your room off the ship? The travel agent advised setting them outside the room and then "reuniting" with them at check-out to "merge" your overnight items before checking them at the airport.

(3) Also, we are booked for the 8:30p dining: Is there open seating too? - Can we dine during the open seating period if we want to eat earlier than 8:30p?

(4) We have the 8:30p dining. On our last cruise (12 years ago), we were assigned to sit with another couple and they were our table-mates for the duration of the cruise. Can we sit by ourselves or are we assigned another couple to sit with for the duration? Last cruise, the other couple was really nice but they were newlyweds and probably preferred to be by themselves so they weren't really compatible with us.

(5) We have a Concierge cabin #1020. What perks go with a Concierge cabin? I don't believe we have access to Blu since it's not Aqua-Class - correct? Do we get special privileges for exiting the ship on the last day? In general, what are the benefits that go with Concierge class? (our cabin was booked by a travel agent)

(6) For future reference, how do you decide on a cabin, other than the obvious balcony or no balcony? What's the difference between the front of the ship vs the back of a ship? How do you know which side is "dock-side" so you can take photos from your balcony? Basically, what is the process to pick a cabin??

Thanks.

Your travel agent should be able to answer questions 1-5 for you (especially #5). When you're paying extra for Concierge class it's very unprofessional of them not to tell you what exactly you are getting for your money.

(1) We are arriving via air into Miami Saturday morning, 1/25, and have a transfer from the airport to the port. Do you usually carry your bags to your cabin or do you check them through to your room, and just bring a carry-on bag with necessities for the first few hours? We usually check our luggage, and bring a carry on bag with us. The cabins may not be ready for you to go to them, so you don't want to be dragging all of your luggage around the ship until you can get in to your cabin.

(2) Same question on last day: Do you put your bags outside your room by 10:00p on Friday night or do you carry them from your room off the ship? The travel agent advised setting them outside the room and then "reuniting" with them at check-out to "merge" your overnight items before checking them at the airport. We put our luggage out, and claim it before customs. It's just easier for us. We never have a really early flight, so we take our time getting off the ship.

(3) Also, we are booked for the 8:30p dining: Is there open seating too? - Can we dine during the open seating period if we want to eat earlier than 8:30p? Celebrity does have open seating. They call it select seating. I don't know if you can do select seating and keep your 8:30 seating also. That is a good question. I'm guessing the answer is no... but who knows. :)

(4) We have the 8:30p dining. On our last cruise (12 years ago), we were assigned to sit with another couple and they were our table-mates for the duration of the cruise. Can we sit by ourselves or are we assigned another couple to sit with for the duration? Last cruise, the other couple was really nice but they were newlyweds and probably preferred to be by themselves so they weren't really compatible with us. Your TA should be able to put a table size request on your reservation, but I would also go to the Maitre D when you get on the ship and request or confirm a table for 2 at the late seating. If you do Select Seating, you can request it when you get there or make a standing reservation. You may end up waiting for a table to open however.

(5) We have a Concierge cabin #1020. What perks go with a Concierge cabin? I don't believe we have access to Blu since it's not Aqua-Class - correct? Do we get special privileges for exiting the ship on the last day? In general, what are the benefits that go with Concierge class? (our cabin was booked by a travel agent) You can go to the Celebrity Cruise line home page, then click Onboard Experience, then click staterooms, then choose Concierge Class, and it will give you a list of "perks" for those cabins.

(6) For future reference, how do you decide on a cabin, other than the obvious balcony or no balcony? What's the difference between the front of the ship vs the back of a ship? How do you know which side is "dock-side" so you can take photos from your balcony? Basically, what is the process to pick a cabin?? Cabin location and type is a personal preference. We usually choose a port side cabin, because most of the time... but not all of the time... that is the side that you can see the port. It depends on the way the ship docks or tenders. DH and I don't have seasickness issues, so we prefer port side, on a higher deck, near the front. That being said, Our cabin for our next cruise if aft. :rolleyes: If you get seasick, then lower decks, in the middle of the ship would be best.

(7) I've checked the projected forecast for the ports. However, does anyone know what kind of temperatures we'll experience while at sea? Also, how cool does it get in the evening while at sea? Are there movie nights outdoors on this cruise? Trying to determine if the clothes I pack to wear while in ports (80+ degrees) is the same kind of clothes to plan on wearing while at sea? Should I bring a set of clothes to wear if outdoors in the evening on the ship (in other words, are evenings outdoors on the ship, considered cool)? It is breezy at sea. In the day it usually isn't cold, but it can get chilly on deck at night. The temperature in the ship is cool also. The theatre especially. You will want to bring a sweater, jacket, or shawl.

Thanks.

I hope this helps. Have a great trip. :)

Make sure valuables, any IDs (passports) and docs, medications are in your carry ons. Also make sure that all suitcases and carry ons have luggage tags with the name of your ship and your cell phone number (definitely don't put your home info on it), and an itinerary sheet with your cruise info in each one too.

If taking your luggage, if the cruise line transfer doesn't cover this, give to a porter at the port with a tip. Any carry-ons you'll need to carry yourself and be able to put on the security conveyor belt (which means no suitcases) yourself. If you're on a cruise line that doesn't have the cabins ready yet, you'll also need to schlep everyone until told you can go to your cabins (Princess doesn't start boarding passengers until the cabins are ready). At some point your luggage will be delivered to your cabin.

We always put them in the hall the last night. We don't want to be bothering with all the thrills of disembarking while dealing with our suitcases too. After you go through customs, you can go to the baggage room and claim your stuff. Usually you'll get colored tags (might be Brown-1 or Pink-3, etc.) to put on your luggage. When you get to that room, look for the sign with your color.

Make sure you book your flight after the specified time for your disembarkation city. Even though your doc might say the ship will return at 7 AM, the customs and immigration officials will determine when anyone can leave the ship. It might be right away after docking, it might be more than an hour later. I know with LAX, any post-cruise flights need to be noon or later. Don't remember about Miami.

(3) Also, we are booked for the 8:30p dining: Is there open seating too? - Can we dine during the open seating period if we want to eat earlier than 8:30p? You need to ask on the Celebrity board. My last five cruises were on Princess, and if we miss our assigned seating, we'll go to the buffet, rather than crash anytime (which BTW we absolutely hated the one time we couldn't get late traditional).

(4) We have the 8:30p dining. On our last cruise (12 years ago), we were assigned to sit with another couple and they were our table-mates for the duration of the cruise. Can we sit by ourselves or are we assigned another couple to sit with for the duration? Last cruise, the other couple was really nice but they were newlyweds and probably preferred to be by themselves so they weren't really compatible with us. Again, Celebrity vets can help you with this. We like to eat at big tables, but on our last cruise we got a table for four for the three of us.

Part of it depends on your itinerary,so a Caribbean cruise may mean warm nights, but on some other ones, you'll want to bring a sweater or light jacket if planning to be outside. I find the interior of many ships to be on the cool side due to the A/C.

Thanks.

I would suggest going on the Celebrity website and reading up on the FAQs and about the various features on your ship. While on board, if someone is talking about their cabin and what they like or dislike about it, you can garner some info for a future cruise (take what they say with a grain of salt, but also figure that often a certain category cabin on one ship might be similar to the same type on another ship in the same line. Or not.)

And I wouldn't try to book a cabin based on docking. Sometimes the docking side might always be on one side, sometimes not, during different sailings. We usually get insides, so we'll have the in-cabin TV tuned to the bridge cam station so we can see us approaching a port. If one of us wants to take photos during the process, we'll go up on a dock. Our last cruise, we were in a far aft inside, and all we needed to do is to go out a door and we'll be on the Aloha aft deck.

One more thing I would like to add. I see you are flying into Miami on the day of your cruise during winter. I had lived in Missouri for a couple of years and remember it can get hit hard with snow and ice. So I'm a bit concerned with your plans. I just wonder why your TA didn't suggest you fly in a day ahead of time.

(1)

(2)

(6) (7) on the ship (in other words, are evenings outdoors on the ship, considered cool)?

Thanks.

You really should ask your travel agent.....BEFORE you book.