As a new Cruiser I found out some very important info!

harvmac

So I am taking my family on our first cruise, I thought we would keep it short and sweet, so we can kinda get our feet wet. My wife and I decided to make it a surprize for our kids, Kinda just "show up" at the boat.

We knew we had to bring thier Birth Certificates but what I found out (10 days before cruise time) was that any child 13 or older MUST have a Picture ID!:confused: This was NOT told to me by my cruise director when she asked my kid's names and ages. This would have been really good info to have early!

So now today, I am scrambling to figure out how I am going to get them picture ID's and still keep it a secret...

grrr to you Carnival and Homeland Security!

Edited by harvmac

So I am taking my family on our first cruise, I thought we would keep it short and sweet, so we can kinda get our feet wet. My wife and I decided to make it a surprize for our kids, Kinda just "show up" at the boat.

We knew we had to bring thier Birth Certificates but what I found out (10 days before cruise time) was that any child 13 or older MUST have a Picture ID!:confused: This was NOT told to me by my cruise director when she asked my kid's names and ages. This would have been really good info to have early!

So now today, I am scrambling to figure out how I am going to get them picture ID's and still keep it a secret...

It was my understanding that government issued ID's are only needed for those 16 and older.

Here's the quote from the DHS regulations:

"(i) Children Under Age 16. A United States citizen who is under the age of 16 is permitted to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services when entering the United States from contiguous territory at land or sea ports-of-entry;"

It was my understanding that government issued ID's are only needed for those 16 and older.

That was my understanding as well, I just read it last night in my Carnival documents.

We went on a cruise last year (my son was 15) and I got him a passport, so he is all set for this year. Honestly, I probably would have been screwed if we hadn't because he doesn't have a driver's license yet and I just read that provision because I was bored last night!

yeah I just got off the phone with carnival a bit ago and she told me 13 and older. My youngest turns 13 5 days before we sail! ha!

Call Carnival again and get a different rep and you'll probably be told the correct info, that it is 16 and older.

Call Carnival again and get a different rep and you'll probably be told the correct info, that it is 16 and older.

True. This is right off of the Carnival website:

Photo Identification

In addition to proof of citizenship, a non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver’s License

• Driver’s Permit

• School/Student I.D (acceptable ONLY for guests under 19 years of age)

• Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

I don't know if they are splitting hairs about the difference between a government issued ID and just some kind of photo ID (like a bus pass or school ID). Hopefully your daughter has a school ID that you can use and that should solve your problem.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time!! It is ridiculous they are giving you the run around right before your cruise...like you need this added stress now, right??:mad:

Edited by xowendyxo

I, too, say call again. I have never heard that a 13 year old needs Gov't issued photo ID. Who gets their kids IDs (other than a school ID) before they get their driver licenses?

But I did see where a school ID will work for under 19. So basically 16-19 can use a school ID.

It has to be a picture ID, not a government ID? How about a lunch card or school ID?

EXACTLY! We always took DS's school ID - until he got a driver's license. But in all honesty they NEVER asked to see it. Maybe they've changed recently and really do look now. But, we always had it out and tried to show them - but they never looked at it....NEVER. :/

OP - if you school doesn't offer anything with a picture - does you library, police station or community center offer photo ID's?? Our police station offers free photo ID's - you just have to stop in during their business hours.

You could always tell the kids you are getting them ids in case anything bad happens it would allow the police quick easy access to their photo and information. Like Identikid. Also, We cruise Carnival and like everyone else has said the age is 16. A B.C. has always worked for us. Though last cruise I went ahead and got passports just in case.

We used school issued photo id cards for our kids and NEVER had any problems. We've even know other parents who used year book pictures.

If all else fails - and you have to get official id's - you could just surprise the kids ahead of time with the knowledge about the cruise and then they will have the excitement of looking forward to it and researching everything they will get to do at sea and on land. :)

Edited by dyslexic pirate

Photo IDs are for children 16 and over. No worries. I have been traveling with my teens and young adult children on several cruiselines over the years, and this is universally the policy.

If you are sailing on Carnival, print a copy of the above FAQ from their website, this way if there is any question, you can refer them to their own policy.

Edited by DonnaK

We took our DD on her first cruise when she was 9 yrs. old (she is 17 now). We got her a picture I.D. from the DMV. What I don't remember is if we were told to get one, or if we just thought it was a good idea.

I would just take your kids and get the photo I.D.s and tell them it is just incase they need it for something.

Good luck.

I am so sorry that you received incorrect information. That seems to be a problem with some people that answer the phone at Carnival. Only passengers 16 and above need photo ID's and if they are younger that 19 you can use a school ID with picture. If you want verification go to the Carnival website and scroll to the bottom. Under the heading Already Booked click on the FAQ tab and then when that opens on the right click travel documents. There you will find the correct answer

There may have been some recent changes. I was also aware of the 16yo and up rule, but we have DMV IDs for all of our children so I wasn't too concerned. When we checked in for our 1/4/14 sailing I was asked for a photo ID for my 13yo ( 16,18,20 and 21) but NOT my 10,8, and 7yos. I was surprised that she asked for it, but I did not ask why. Now I wish that I had. The information that you received over the phone is probably what will be expected of you at the pier. I would get the ID.

I recently cruised Carnival on 1/5/14 with six teenagers (17, 15, 13, 13, 13, 13). They were all asked for a photo ID. I only had a photo ID for the 17 year old (per the policy I had read). None of the others had photo ID and nothing more was said about it.

If I were 13, "Just showing up at the ship" would be an unwelcome surprise. No ability to bring my own books/toys/clothes? Not tell my friends or un-make plans I'd made for the time of cruise?

Just saying. You know your own kids. Why not let the 13yo in on it and get her/him to help surprise the younger one(s)?

Around here the police and fire departments sponsor events where they create free photo IDs and fingerprint cards for all kids. It's part of some missing children campaign. Perhaps see if there is something like that in your area.

I have now talked to 3 different Carnival agents and have read through the documentaion extensively as well as all of your posts and I am now to the conclusion that...

UNDER 16 THEY DO NOT NEED A PICTURE ID WHEN LEAVING AND RETURNING TO THE SAME U.S. PORT.

So therfore I am continuing the "surprize" factor of our trip. I know that some of you thought I should tell them, but we have found that our kids LOVE surprizes, we purposely dont give them too many and up untill a few months ago we would not have been able to give them such a "surprize".

So this time next week we will be making our way to Miami with the intent that "we found a nice little warm va-ca spot that we are gonna spend a long weekend at." This of course will be told to them the day before as to not raise too many questions before hand.

I will post their reaction after next week!

Thanks All!!

harv