Help me decide: one Boardwalk balcony or 2 connecting insides?

sherezada

We're trying to book the Allure this August. It will be me, my husband, our son (4) and our daughter (2).

Background: we've been loyal to Royal, and always had inside rooms (due to price), so obviously, we don't have any aversion to them (in fact, my husband kind of enjoys not being woken up by daylight).

So here are the two scenarios:

One Boardwalk Balcony for the 4 of us (10725): $3,574

-Pros: Could be nice to have a view and watch the Aqua shows from balcony

-Cons: It's way back in the ship;could be a long walk to attractions. Balcony could be dangerous with kids? It might be hard to have some "quality couple time" with the kids in the same room.

2 (aft) Connecting insides (8551/8553): $3,136

-Pros: They're right by the elevators and Central Park (easy access). We would have more space. Kids could have their own bed (or we could each share a bed with one kid), instead of them having to sleep in an uncomfortable sofa bed

-Cons: Could be noisy. I read on a review that there seems to be a crew stairwell by one of the rooms, where they seem to take the luggage through on the last night.

Any thoughts?

Edited by sherezada

I personally would book two insides, more room, everybody would have a bathroom and kids would be comfortable plus with kids that small I'd never put them near a balcony, b/c accidents can always happen. I do have four kids and by being parents you know accidents do happen. Also, the ship is so big and plenty to do and roam around, insides are great.

I would go with the boardwalk balcony, I wouldn't be comfortable with kids that young in a different cabin, even a connecting one. The balcony is safe for the kids, the railing is taller than they are, just have a rule, no standing on furniture and no kids on balcony alone, ever. The sofabed will be fine for two little kids.

It is really up to you and what you are comfortable with.

I would also do two cabins in this case. As has been said, two bathrooms is wonderful and it is nice to have more room.

You can leave the doors which connect the rooms open.

Do your kids sleep in their own rooms at home? Then they will be perfectly fine in their own room on the ship.

I would go with the boardwalk balcony, I wouldn't be comfortable with kids that young in a different cabin, even a connecting one. The balcony is safe for the kids, the railing is taller than they are, just have a rule, no standing on furniture and no kids on balcony alone, ever. The sofabed will be fine for two little kids.

Just info. We put one adult in one cabin w/ two kids and the other parent goes w/ the other two kids. So, kids are never in cabin by themselves.

We cruise once a year with my stepdaughter, her husband and two little girls. They get two connecting insides. On our upcoming cruise on the Freedom they got connecting promenade view insides. The two bathrooms are priceless and she would worry about the kids and the balcony.

I agree. I'd be too nervous having the kids in a separate room.

My vote is the boardwalk balcony. We were on the Allure in November 2013 with our 5 and 6 yr old but had an forward ocean view balcony. We had strict rules they were not allowed out on the balcony by themselves and no climbing on the furniture. I was surprised at how high the railings were and the balcony was large enough to move all the furniture up against the door. As for the aft location, we always crossed the ship thru Central Park or the Royal Promenade. The kids never complained about walking (and they are usually big complainers about walking anywhere) because there was always so much to look at. With your children being so small they won't spend a ton of time in the bathroom. We never had issues with all 4 of us showering for dinner and 1 bathroom. Another benefit of the balcony is that you and your husband can sit on the balcony and watch the aqua shows or the action going on on the boardwalk when the kids go to bed or take naps. Our next cruise we will get a boardwalk balcony. Good luck! Either way you go you will have an amazing time!

Two interiors. Less money, two bathrooms, more space, better location on ship. Win, win, win, win. If you are worried about your kids and the balcony you probably won't spend any time on the balcony, and Boardwalk balcony has NO privacy at all.

I'd go for 2 insides. Because they are wee, they probably sleep more than you do, you can put them "down" and read in the other cabin. With one you are tip toeing around in the dark hoping they don't catch sight of you. More privacy and you might save money:D

I wouldn't fret over them being alone, with the connecting door open you will hear if the cabin door opens. Put the Do Not Disturb card in their door always, have the attendant make up the room from your side when you put the card in on your door. If you explain that when you board it will be fine!

I wouldn't be comfortable having my kids sleeping alone in a room next door, even with a connecting room. I'd worry about someone coming in in the middle of the night. We had a balcony with our 18 month old and have one again with our 3yo and 16 month old. I loved being able to go out at night and spend time with my husband out there while my son slept. I worried about a little one on the balcony but once I saw it realized my fears were unfounded. He was never allowed out there alone.

We have two connecting insides for our upcoming trip with our 2 and 4 year olds. We plan to leave the door open between the rooms. It's no different than renting a condo at the beach and putting kids in a separate bedroom IMO. Plus no balconies were left.

I would recommend two rooms. We have done both with our kids and you will love the extra space. When we were all in the same room, I was constantly picking up their stuff so I wouldn't trip over it. They also had their own TV to watch while you are getting ready - in a room as small as the cabins the kids' shows can really get on my nerves.

You can alway push a chair or the heavy glass coffee table in front of their door if that make you feel better. Put the kids to bed with the doors open then after they fall asleep, close them and enjoy your "couple's time". Open them back up before you nod off and everything is good.

Don't underestimate how important that couples time is when you have children the age that you have. It's so important to not be "Mom" and "Dad" for a little while and be "Husband" and "Wife".

Have fun!;)