What is happening to entertainment on Emerald Princess??

emeraldlake

• 2 weeks later...

Just disembarked from the 1/28 cruise. Worst entertainment options ever on Princess. I was embarrassed to bring my first time Princess cruise sister on this trip(I am Platinum). Need to rethink if I want to sail on Princess anymore.

Silversea/Seabourn/Oceania are sounding better now.

Just disembarked from the 1/28 cruise. Worst entertainment options ever on Princess. I was embarrassed to bring my first time Princess cruise sister on this trip(I am Platinum). Need to rethink if I want to sail on Princess anymore.

Silversea/Seabourn/Oceania are sounding better now.

Can you expand on what was wrong with the entertainment?

It's gone downhill on Princess in general--cost cutting, I assume. Shorter shows, fewer dancers and singers, lame production values (with some exceptions), less quality in the 'featured' performers.

Princess pretty much did away with Princess "orchestra/show bands" a couple years ago and went to recorded background music. The shows have been mundane and lower quality since. The other fallout is that with the musicians gone a lot of the special venue music (for example, late night jazz in the addagio.... ) I miss having the music directors like Gordon Hough putting music activities around the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Princess pretty much did away with Princess "orchestra/show bands" a couple years ago and went to recorded background music. The shows have been mundane and lower quality since. The other fallout is that with the musicians gone a lot of the special venue music (for example, late night jazz in the addagio.... ) I miss having the music directors like Gordon Hough putting music activities around the ship.

We had a live band on the shows we saw on the Jan. 8 Emerald cruise. The shows were ok, but we'd seen them before, and we didn't think the singers were as good as previous cruises.

We are hearing bad things about the quality of entertainment on Emerald Princess. We will be sailing in 3 weeks. Hope things get significantly better!!

Has anyone been on the Emerald that can speak to this. Thanks.

When we were on the Emerald last year we found that the entertainment was the best we've encountered on over 40 cruises.. The live music in the myriad venues were outstanding, they flew in - for a few days on the ship - individuals who normally perform in Las Vegas, the production singers and dancers were extremely talented and hard-working.. Audiences stood and cheered loudly at the end of most shows.. The entertainment venues were packed, especially towards the end of the sailing, through word-of-mouth from the other passengers.. That should be enough to put your mind at rest about this issue.

Happy travels.

- Rick

Edited by Rick-cruiser

We got off the Emerald on 1/28 - If you like to listen to music and dance then there were lots of options in many venues, but those were mostly empty. We went to Club Fusion a few times and there was only two other tables with people and this wonderful band playing to basically no one, so sad. Wheelhouse and other places had music as well. The shows were not so good, we only went to one show and one comedian. I know they spend a lot of money to produce their own shows but they're getting boring. We just spend a lot of time at Crooners and also eat late. Also, the movies at MUTS were older and we've seen them all.

We got off the Emerald on 2/7/14. We thought the comedian (A J Jamal) was very funny and we did enjoy the production shows as we had not seen any of the "Boogie" shows. One dancer told us that some of the shows were made just for the Emerald. Disco Night in Club Fusion was packed and most nights there were quite a few dancing in the Wheelhouse.

We are hearing bad things about the quality of entertainment on Emerald Princess. We will be sailing in 3 weeks. Hope things get significantly better!!

Has anyone been on the Emerald that can speak to this. Thanks.

Just completed a 20 day b2b on the Emerald on Feb 7th. We did not find anything terribly bad about the entertainment, in fact found it most enjoyable. For guest entertainers we had two very good comedy acts, each did two different shows. There were three quality singers. A ventriloquist who made our belly hurt we laughed so much. There were also magic and hypnotist acts which we didn’t attend. There were 3 live bands performing in the Wheelhouse Bar, Club Fusion, Explorers Lounge, as well as by the pool, and in the Piazza. The Princess Orchestra performed in Explorer’s and the Piazza and were very good. Crooner’s also had the normal piano man from 9pm onwards. Live entertainment in the Piazza included the normal piano player, a violin and cello duo, short street performer acts and some acts by the production show cast.

There were four different production shows. We found them all enjoyable, but the 70’s disco boogie show was the best. The negative comment we had is that the production shows are about 15 mins too short. Wait time does not balance well with show time. JJ the cruise director did not prolong the shows with dumb jokes and useless dialog as some CD’s do. Also, most of the evening Cruise staff activities, such as theme nights, karaoke, marriage game, etc. seemed to be compressed into short time slots rather than allowing the activities to take thier normal flow. If you enjoy dancing and line dancing don’t miss the deck party. It starts around 9:15 and goes until 11. As for theme nights, Pub Night is new and includes the production show singers and dancers, something we have not seen before on Princess. It was nice with a scenery set and costumes. Arrive early, they only do it once and it is in Explorer's Lounge. We were there for the previous activity and just stayed.

Hope this information is useful.

Really, they had AJ Jamal? He's actually a fairly decently known name in comedy... If they are bringing on mid-tier comedians again, there's some hope.. (Or he just wanted a vacation :) )

We got off the Emerald on 2/7/14. We thought the comedian (A J Jamal) was very funny and we did enjoy the production shows as we had not seen any of the "Boogie" shows. One dancer told us that some of the shows were made just for the Emerald. Disco Night in Club Fusion was packed and most nights there were quite a few dancing in the Wheelhouse.

Just completed a 20 day b2b on the Emerald on Feb 7th. We did not find anything terribly bad about the entertainment, in fact found it most enjoyable. For guest entertainers we had two very good comedy acts, each did two different shows. There were three quality singers. A ventriloquist who made our belly hurt we laughed so much. There were also magic and hypnotist acts which we didn’t attend. There were 3 live bands performing in the Wheelhouse Bar, Club Fusion, Explorers Lounge, as well as by the pool, and in the Piazza. The Princess Orchestra performed in Explorer’s and the Piazza and were very good. Crooner’s also had the normal piano man from 9pm onwards. Live entertainment in the Piazza included the normal piano player, a violin and cello duo, short street performer acts and some acts by the production show cast.

There were four different production shows. We found them all enjoyable, but the 70’s disco boogie show was the best. The negative comment we had is that the production shows are about 15 mins too short. Wait time does not balance well with show time. JJ the cruise director did not prolong the shows with dumb jokes and useless dialog as some CD’s do. Also, most of the evening Cruise staff activities, such as theme nights, karaoke, marriage game, etc. seemed to be compressed into short time slots rather than allowing the activities to take thier normal flow. If you enjoy dancing and line dancing don’t miss the deck party. It starts around 9:15 and goes until 11. As for theme nights, Pub Night is new and includes the production show singers and dancers, something we have not seen before on Princess. It was nice with a scenery set and costumes. Arrive early, they only do it once and it is in Explorer's Lounge. We were there for the previous activity and just stayed.

Pretty much agree. We noticed much more dancing in the Piazza than on earlier cruises. The band in Explorers was very good, but much TOO LOUD! We couldn't dance without risking ear damage! Had to walk away. Shame, since they were fine in other locations.

Very comprehensive and although I haven't been on the Emerald you could have been describing what I have experienced on my 5 Princess cruises so I have no complaints. I'm not quite sure what people expect for the price of a cruise ticket.

A comfy room that is cleaned each day. A nice hotel that moves so you don't have to. All the food you can eat without going shopping, peeling, grilling, emptying the trash and the dishwasher. Interesting foreign places to visit, sandy beaches, tropical drinks, whales, dolphins, eagles, camels, wombats, parrots,seagulls, crocodiles, man-eating sharks, man eating waffles and afternoon and evening all the entertainments you have thoroughly listed above-all for the price of a cruise ticket which for some can be as little as $400 for the week.

There's plenty of singing and dancing shows in the Princess Theater with a live band and live singing. Energetic young dancers in expensive costumes. Superb sound and lighting.

Is the entertainment as good as headline shows in Las Vegas? Hell no but then in Vegas I paid $200 for a Celine Dion show and never less than $100 for Cirque du Soleil. Both were in huge theaters with high ceilings with room for big bands and lots of dancers. Massive sound systems and lights shows. Perfection. None of them had to perform on a small low stage that was moving up and down and side to side.

If I find myself on a ship where the entertainment is a total disappointment I'll go to a bar or to MUTS or take a walk on deck at night or read a book in a quiet corner. I'll talk to people over a drink or another meal. I'll sit on my balcony and listen to my iPod or have an early night. Maybe I would even look at a competing cruise line in the hope of finding better.

No complaints from me, all things considered.

Norris

Since I am on the Emerald Princess, and have been since November, I can objectively state that the entertainment has been better on some cruises and worse on others. I don't think it's accurate to say that, since the entertainment was good on one cruise last year, it will be good on any particular cruise in the future. It simply isn't that consistent, not from cruise to cruise and certainly not from year to year. Not even from night to night.

Last night, for example, we had an abundance of riches: production show I Got the Music and mentalist Brett Webb. We saw both, and both were excellent. Tonight's offerings are a juggler in the Princess Theater. Plus music and dancing, of course, and country western night. And trivia and karaoke. While I would consider a juggler a good Explorers Lounge-type show, I think it's a bit weak as a Princess Theater show, especially when we're in St. Thomas today and another entertainer could have boarded.

There have been no Beatle Maniacs on board, Mark Prentiss has been here perhaps 3 times (I specifically remember only 2). Pianist Ryan Ahern is always a highlight, but we've seen him here twice. My fav comedian is far and away AJ Jamal, and we've seen him twice. He could recite the alphabet and make it funny. But, over all, it's not as good as last winter, better than when Anytime Entertainment was first introduced on the Emerald Princess on 1/17/12, and not nearly as good as entertainment was before that date.

I don't think I've ever described the entertainment as boring (I rarely use that word for anything, as there's always something to find interesting). But, a juggler as the only featured entertainer shown in a theater that will accommodate about 2200 people over three shows...that's weak entertainment for a Pricess cruise ship with 3100 people.

We were on the Emerald for ten days last month from 18th to the 28th.

This was our 23rd Princess cruise. Entertainment was NOT good.

First, the cruise director was absent most of the cruise, except for appearing on the television tell sell something. Many other cruisers complained about the entertainment, or lack of decent entertainment.

Definitely not what they used to be. If I have to suffer through another Destination Anywhere, Motor City, or third-rate singer, I just won't go to any shows.

Actually, I found the performers in the Piazza better than the shows! The Flamenco dancers, acrobats, and passenger fashion show were better.

Hopefully they will come up with something better in the future. I can't find anymore space for all the cheesy Princess gifts my partner has one in Pop Star.

Princess does still have an orchestra of live musicians on board. Also music directors can only supply the musicians that Princess gives them. However, the dancers don't like the recorded music either. They prefer the live music. However, the live musicians can't always be everywhere at once. Sorry, I don't mean to come off as grumpy, but our son is one of the music directors for Princess and he'd be the first one to agree-please supply more live musicians. It's not their fault!