If I get sick before cruising

Sharon Sails

I woke up with a sore throat today...not sure if it's just from sleeping with my mouth open or if I'm getting sick. The thing is, I'm retired and don't go out much, so I don't know where I would have picked up germs. At any rate, I DO have the insurance offered by Royal - the one you choose when making reservations. Will that cover me if I DO get too sick to sail? I'm not sure, but it must be in writing somewhere. Anyone have a quick answer? We're supposed to sail on Sunday.

Edited by Sharon Sails

I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to say that I am crossing my fingers that you are not sick. My son seems to start coming down with something the week before we cruises every darn time. You still have a few days to rest and get to the doctor. Good luck to you and here's hoping that you feel better don't need to use your insurance.

I woke up with a sore throat today...not sure if it's just from sleeping with my mouth open or if I'm getting sick. The thing is, I'm retired and don't go out much, so I don't know where I would have picked up germs. At any rate, I DO have the insurance offered by Royal - the one you choose when making reservations. Will that cover me if I DO get too sick to sail? I'm not sure, but it must be in writing somewhere. Anyone have a quick answer? We're supposed to sail on Sunday.

Go to the doctor today and kick that sore throat in the butt!!! Hope it's nothing and you are back to normal by the weekend.

The OP's question is about insurance, and I'm curious as well.

We all know that we have to sign the slip when we board that says that we haven't had any nausea or diarrhea. And I find it hard to believe that someone who woke up that morning with problems is going to admit it and cancel the cruise, not only for themselves, but for those travelling with them.

I guess the question is, if you do come down with GI or flu symptoms one or two days prior to sailing, are you going to get your thousands of dollars back if you are honest?

well, so far it's just a sore throat and it may be from sleeping with my mouth open, as I'm sort of stuffy from allergies. It just worries me that the cruise is only days away - and my grown daughter (who I saw last weekend) is just getting over a nasty cold (the doc thinks it's part bacterial, part viral, as her white blood cell counts were off. she's on anti-biotics now). The doc won't do anything for me while it's just a sore throat (no fever)... I'm just worried about what to do if I get worse before I board. Will the insurance I bought when I reserved the cruise cover the cost of the cruise for my husband and I if I cannot go? I guess if I'm that sick by boarding day, I'll have to call to find out. But if anyone knows, I'd sure appreciate some advice!

I don't have an answer for you either, but hoping someone does. My thinking is what happens when someone is too sick to sail, what happens with the insurance.

Also, fyi...not to scare you but last week i started out with a sore throat...itchy at first. Then two days later full blown cold (heavy nasal and head congestion). I'm assuming it was the post nasal drip causing my throat to be a bit sore and itchy?

It was a pretty bad cold. I didn't go to the dr. though as I treated with cough drops and sudafed. I would not cancel a cruise for this because I didn't have a fever but I'm sure others may not be happy being around someone with a pretty bad cold either.

Do you have your policy there? There are different ones that cover different things for different prices. Alas, without having your policy in front of me I can't tell you what it covers.

She chose CruiseCare through RCI. I think its the very same policy and pricing (depends on cost of cruise) for everyone.

Slyster,

I've had this before, and it sounds like it's going to be what you have, as my symptoms are always the same when I get a really BAD cold...sore throat turns to head cold and horrible headache, but no fever. Can't take antibiotics without having a fever, as they do nothing. I doubt my insurance (bought the one that comes with RCI when you make reservations), so I guess I'll be going on the ship sick if I'm not better by then. I was on a trans-atlantic three years ago and got this kind of cold while en-route to England. Hubby bought lozenges in the ship's store and I had to stay in my cabin for a few days, but I got better before we got to Harwich. This will be a seven day cruise - but we don't leave 'til Sunday - hope I'm on the mend by then. Hubby has his own bedroom here at home (he snores LOUDLY), so he should not pick it up from me (he usually doesn't, as he's extremely healthy!) Crossed fingers here!

Just go get antibiotics now and start them. Better safe than sorry and only fair to other vacationers. Plus, there's a questionnaire to answer before getting on, if you're sick they may not allow you on the ship.

Just go get meds so you can enjoy your trip and it won't affect anyone! :D

. And I find it hard to believe that someone who woke up that morning with problems is going to admit it and cancel the cruise, not only for themselves, but for those travelling with them.

I guess the question is, if you do come down with GI or flu symptoms one or two days prior to sailing, are you going to get your thousands of dollars back if you are honest?

In light of what happened on the explorer I was thinking about that very thing. Would I go anyway, maybe. What i would do Is wash my hands ten times an hour to prevent anyone else from catching my virus, assuming we're talking Noro. Since it's not airborne I can control not spreading the virus myself with good hygiene.

Just go get antibiotics now and start them. Better safe than sorry and only fair to other vacationers. Plus, there's a questionnaire to answer before getting on, if you're sick they may not allow you on the ship.

Just go get meds so you can enjoy your trip and it won't affect anyone! :D

NO NO NO everything doesn't need antibiotics. Over use of antibiotics has caused many germs to become resistant and it's become a real problem.

Well, my current doctor (I'm changing after the cruise--I already have a "new patient" appointment for mid-Feb.) hands out antibiotics like candy :( But I have no choice but to go to that doctor's office today if I want to be seen for this sore throat. I don't like taking antibiotics if they aren't useful for whatever illness I get either, but I don't see any other choice here. I called a rep from the insurance I bought, and she said the doctor would tell me whether to go ahead on the cruise or not - and that if the doctor said "no" she could have to fill out paperwork for me to get any help from the insurance company. I don't think she'll tell me not to go - I think she'll just give me antibiotics. I will follow her instructions - whatever they are. Thanks for everyone who has posted here for me!

Good idea to see the dr just in case. Again, i'm curious if cruise care insurance would allow you and your roommate to cancel if you had the flu or a really bad cold. Not sure what the rules are on virus' but i would think that would be excusable and reimbursable?

In light of what happened on the explorer I was thinking about that very thing. Would I go anyway, maybe. What i would do Is wash my hands ten times an hour to prevent anyone else from catching my virus, assuming we're talking Noro. Since it's not airborne I can control not spreading the virus myself with good hygiene.

So what if you sneeze, how are you going to contain the virus then? If you are sick stay home.

As far as the OP, I look forward to hearing how you liked this cruise on a ship that you have stated so many times that you hate.

I just happened to speak with a representative yesterday from Berekley which is the company that handles the cruise care insurance for Royal Caribbean.

Here is "part" of what is written on the policy concerning cancelling a cruise..

Through the CruiseCare program, Royal Caribbean International will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise nonrefundable value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below*). In addition, through the CruiseCare program, should you or your traveling companion need to interrupt your cruise vacation (embark after your scheduled departure date or disembark before your scheduled return date) for any one of the same following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below*) you will be refunded IN CASH the otherwise nonrefundable

value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation.

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;.......

Saw the doc. She just looked at my throat and gave me antibiotics. No culture. I said "so it's bacterial?" and she said "yes." I looked on-line and everywhere it says there is no way to tell if it's bacterial without a culture. THAT'S why I'm changing to a different doctor's office. But there's not much I can do except take the antibiotics and hope this time. She said "have a nice cruise." Hope so. I do things like cruising because my hubby, who works hard, loves to cruise.

For poster who said something about me hating cruising: I dislike cruising myself, but I do this for HIM. I'd like to think many of us do things for our family that we're not crazy about doing - because we love them.

From my understanding of these policies your doctor would have to sign off that you can not cruise or to sick. So to get money back he /she would have to do that and then you summit it. It sounds like you are not that sick to cruise and with medication you are okay. BUT when you check there is a form to fill in asking about being sick. I would say no. I have never heard or seen a person check yes. I wonder if they would not let you board if you check yes. Also if you are not better you can go to the doctor on board and get medical help. Good luck and enjoy.

To weigh in... If you have documentation from a dr. that you were too sick to cruise, the insurance should cover it. Also with RCCL you get a 75% refund for "cancel for any reason." But in light of the Norovirus on Explorer, I'd simply tell RCCL that the dr. said you were contagious and couldn't cruise. I doubt they'll argue.

As for the check in questionnaire, there was a post a while ago where the person said she had been sick in the last 7 days and was denied boarding.

Honestly, if you are too sick to sail, I'm fairly certain the insurance will cover it. You just need to prove it (makes sense).

IMHO it is a WAY different situation to sail with a cold (even a bad one) than with noro. Noro is much more contagious, and in most people's opinion is much, much more unpleasant to suffer through than a cold. To expect people to cancel cruises because they have a cold is silly I think. The average adult gets a couple colds a year and the average for a child I think is four or six or some other high number. Now, if there is a concern about having the flu (not the stomach/noro flu, but the respiratory one) then of course that is a different story as it can be quite serious.

This is not a judgment in any way of the OP - I am giving my opinion in general.

Well, apparently I'm going to cruise while I'm sick. The antibiotics are doing nothing because I KNOW this is viral, not bacterial. Yes, I still have a couple days - better cross my fingers. I know I'm still contagious, and I feel like crap. Not a good way to cruise :(

Sorry your doc gave you antibiotics. Some do hand them out like candy and do more harm than cold (hello, MRSA anyone?).

I don't get sick often but I feel something....not sure if it is allergies though, as it is getting to that time of year. Time to pump up the saudades, Flonase, and Allegra!

I'm sure you'll be ok to enjoy your cruise....I can't imagine a cold holding me back from a vacation :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app