Norovirus

bichonsx2

Does anyone have any recommendations of medications to bring along just to have in case of a norovirus outbreak on your/our next cruise?? IS there anything that would be beneficial to have?

Wash your hands often and bring some wipes for the cabin.

Use sanitizer.

Not a gty but it helps.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

A bar of good soap and some anti-bacterial wipes.

Norovirus is a highly contagious viral disease spread by poor hygiene. One infected person can infect hundreds of others. It is their poor hygiene habits that cause the infection of others and hopefully not you.

All you can do to avoid infection is to follow the ship's instruction and hopefully not come in contact with those who do not.

I take the same Lysol wipes and Lysol spray, wash my hands A LOT and in case that's not enough and I should get it....I bring Imodium, candied ginger, Gravol and on this last cruise, a large bottle of Gatorade. Thankfully I didn't need it, so left it on board. I also brought a case of bottled water

I would recommend you bring Lysol brand III spray, Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide Wipes and clean the cabin.

Carry a wipe with you, and clean things before you touch them.

Wash your hands thoroughly (20 seconds in warm water) and scrub and then wipe dry with paper towels.

Take a napkin or two, and use it to handle the serving utensils that other people are touching.

Don't use the handrails, and if you do, make sure you wash your hands before putting anything in your mouth or near your eyes. Push elevator buttons with your elbows, rather than your fingers.

Prevention is much better than medication :)

Definitely take some anti-diarrhea medicine like Kaopaectate It works pretty well. Not much you can do about the vomiting, but at least you can help the other a little. Norovirus is just the common stomach flu. Treat it like you would if you got it at home. It is usually bad for about 24 hours (vomiting, diarrhea, chills), then you might feel so=so for about another 24 hours.

Wash your hands frequently and keep them away from your face in the interim. I also avoid opening public bathroom doors with you hands when exiting - use a paper towel. Princess will have a trash can right next to the door to throw the towel away in.

Whatever you do, and particularly if you treat yourself, do not leave your cabin until 24 hours after the last symptom. That's how it spreads. People who feel they have to get their money's worth and leave their cabin are the ones infecting everyone else. The ship can clean and disinfect only so much and if people who are sick keep touching railings, door handles, elevator buttons, etc., the measures the ship is taking are ineffective. The responsible thing to do is to report your illness to the medical center so your cabin can be disinfected and measures taken to prevent the spread.

When we travel we always pack a prescription anti diarrheal such as lomotil and an anti nausea drug like compazine. We have not had noro but we have traveled in third world countries and gotten sick - probably from something we ate or drank.

Edited by Viv0828

Does anyone have any recommendations of medications to bring along just to have in case of a norovirus outbreak on your/our next cruise?? IS there anything that would be beneficial to have?

wash your hands...dont' use the public bathroom and again was your hands as often as you can

the hand sanitizer is good...........does not kill the noro virius

I also do not use the handrails going down the stairs...of if I do I wash my hand as soon as possible

for the sake of the other passengers, if you do come down with this let them know. they will quarantine you in your cabin (no not pleasant for you...but prevents it from speeding)

I think we should all go back to the days of luxury cruising and wear gloves! Stylish and more hygienic!

I love it! Sign me up! :)

Get your Chlorox or WetOnes wipes out before you even touch your cabin door handle. Start wiping there and all throughout your cabin. Repeat once or twice during the week.

Use a hand wipe AFTER going through the buffet. That's where a lot of germs are picked up - after you go through there and before you start eating, touching your food, touching your face, etc.

I don't know if it really helps, but we always bring our own antibacterial hand soap pump. Keeps the gross, slimy, wet bar of soap from making a mess on the bathroom counter and might help kill a germ or two.

One of these

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZJpoCxkCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or maybe one of these

http://www.thesafetyequipmentstore.com/personal-protection-supplies-Draeger-R58353.html

That should keep the bugs away from you.

Or else do what I do and not worry about it. It makes life a lot simpler.

Enjoy your cruise.

DON

One of these

or maybe one of these

http://www.thesafetyequipmentstore.com/personal-protection-supplies-Draeger-R58353.html

Enjoy your cruise.

DON

Hilarious!! icon10.gif Cruising in 6 weeks..Be happy, don't worry!!

One of these

or maybe one of these

Enjoy your cruise.

DON

Awesome dude!Great sense of humor!

One of these

or maybe one of these

Enjoy your cruise.

DON

I've heard that alcohol based sanitizers don't work. I wonder if alcohol based drinks work, because that's what I'll be killing it with next week.:D

We wipe down the room with Clorox wipes. Put the TV remote in a clear zip lock bag . I also carry Oral Rehydration Salts for in the event of dehydration from sickness. I have been very lucky never to get Norovirus But you want to be prepared..

I take Lysol and spray everything. It says it kills viruses including ?NoroVirus.

Be sure to also clean the television remote control. If a person is sick, confined to their cabin, the one entertainment that they have is to flip channels on TV. Protect yourself. Think like a sick person. TV remote, door handles, bathroom fixtures....all need spraying.

Perhaps not helpful, but interesting.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/puke-patrol-how-clean-1-000-foot-cruise-ship-2D11999534

We are taking an Alaska cruise on Star this May, our sixth on Princess. For dietary reasons we've always had Anytime Dining and eaten in the buffet in order to choose the foods and portion sizes we want and to be able to have frequent small meals.

After reading about the latest outbreak of noro on another line it makes me wonder--are we at greater risk serving ourselves in the buffet than if we ate in the dining room? My reasoning for this is that in the dining room we would not be using tongs, etc. used by other passengers .

I've noted that about half of the buffet patrons use the disinfectant on the way in.

Related to this is the information that proportionately, passengers in the latest outbreak came down with the virus at over 4 times the rate of the crew.

So the crew must be doing something right that the passengers aren't!

Ray Mac

We are taking an Alaska cruise on Star this May, our sixth on Princess. For dietary reasons we've always had Anytime Dining and eaten in the buffet in order to choose the foods and portion sizes we want and to be able to have frequent small meals.

After reading about the latest outbreak of noro on another line it makes me wonder--are we at greater risk serving ourselves in the buffet than if we ate in the dining room? My reasoning for this is that in the dining room we would not be using tongs, etc. used by other passengers .

I've noted that about half of the buffet patrons use the disinfectant on the way in.

Related to this is the information that proportionately, passengers in the latest outbreak came down with the virus at over 4 times the rate of the crew.

So the crew must be doing something right that the passengers aren't!

Ray Mac

if passengers including staff washed their hands after they have been to the toilet it would be nice not to get the noro

Thanks. I had skimmed that thread but had not clicked any of the links.

Rather surprised to read that hand sanitizer is not much help.

Ray Mac.

Hand sanitizer and antibacterial soap kills bacteria like antibiotics do. Noro is a virus. Like a common cold there is no cure just temporary relief if you use the over the counter remedies.