Trouble for Capt. on WC

ZSandy25

Not to get off track.....but if a mentally ill passenger poses a danger to other passengers or even whose actions make other passengers uncomfortable or one who "refuses" to allow the crew to clean the room...then that passenger needs to be dealt with. If that means being disembarked at the next port ...then so be it whether it is "politically correct" or not.

On another thread in special interest cruising in the disabled section....there was a mother who had a child with ADD who was adamant that her child should not have to attend the muster drill cuz her child would be in her words "biting, kicking, and screaming." WHOOOOAH!! Wait a minute . That is where I draw the line. I will not tolerate another passenger, be that person adult or child, assault me in ANY manner and have it be condoned because of a "mental illness." This is MY vacation too and I expect to enjoy it with all passengers acting in a mutually respectable manner. I feel that the cruise lines already go out of their way to accommodate passengers with many different situations: elderly,

those with dietary restrictions, those who need animal companions, etc and that's wonderful....but there comes a point where for some passengers a cruise may NOT be the best option for a vacation.

We have a large population of children with actual and real diagnoses of Aspergers, Autism, ADD, ADHD, etc. These children can often exhibit unpredictable behavior, even if on medication. It's a catch 22 situation I think. If we say none of these kids can cruise because we don't know how they would behave in a real emergency, we are discriminating against a large population. And yes, I understand that one of them could pose a problem to other passengers in an emergency. On the other hand, there are many perfectly "normal" adults who will panic in an emergency and cause problems for other passengers too. We need to do the best we can do for all people. ANd, I'm really not sure what that is on a cruise ship.

If I had to guess, and face it that's what all of you are doing, he likely hasn't been making the mandatory boat drills. And may well be a pain in the tail at inopportune moments.

Many years ago on HAL, there was a man whom we met in the crows. We could tell he wasn't quite there.

While walking around the ship, he sprang out of nowhere. Nearly decked him a few times because he caught me off guard.

When we dined with the captain, I asked if he had any problems. He said, "only one, and he was targeting you and your wife." He had been disembarked.

Clearly, they watch the security cams because I didn't complain.

What was the eventual outcome with this passenger and Captain Mercer?

We will probably never know unless one of the bloggers gets information and passes it on. In the case of the individual I knew about .... most of the ship saw him departing with luggage and his altercation with Capt. was loud enough (on his part) for the neighboring rooms to hear.

As to arrangements.... I would think it would depend on where and why.

Susan

The passenger in question is a very strange indeed. I have not interacted with him personally, but many of my tablemates have. He is rude and obnoxious and may indeed be mentally ill. He is also, how shall I put it, not paying attention to his personal grooming...

He goes around dressed in the garb of a Russion or Greek Orthodox cleric and sometimes he lectures his fellow passengers about sin (theirs, not his). Playing cards is apparently a sin, but stuffing the box with raffle tickets to win the prizes at the jewelry demos, is not. ;)

One of my tablemates referred to him as "Rasputin" one night at dinner and I've since heard numerous other passengers refer to him by that name. :D

Lets hope he and your knee pain are soon a memory.

Roy

He is due to leave the ship at Sydney and I'd say that is probably what is going to happen, meeting with the Captain or no. Could be wrong though. ;)

The passenger in question is a very strange indeed. I have not interacted with him personally, but many of my tablemates have. He is rude and obnoxious and may indeed be mentally ill. He is also, how shall I put it, not paying attention to his personal grooming...

He goes around dressed in the garb of a Russion or Greek Orthodox cleric and sometimes he lectures his fellow passengers about sin (theirs, not his). Playing cards is apparently a sin, but stuffing the box with raffle tickets to win the prizes at the jewelry demos, is not. ;)

One of my tablemates referred to him as "Rasputin" one night at dinner and I've since heard numerous other passengers refer to him by that name. :D

I feel sorry for the captain having to deal with this situation.

Thanks for checking in.

Thanks for posting this information, hope he gets the help he needs.

I would think that this situation is certainly serious enough for the Captain to be involved. Perhaps the HD has tried to intervene but by all reports this passenger is offensive in many ways that have nothing to do with the condition of his cabin. I too hope the poor man gets the help he needs.

Laurie :(

Question. Should the Hotel Director be handling this pax problem?

He will have been involved, and will be part of the meeting with the passenger. Meetings like this commonly take place inside the HD office and will include the Captain, Hotel Director and Security Officer. The Guest Relations Manager frequently attends also

Question. Should the Hotel Director be handling this pax problem?
I would believe that the HD was involved at an earlier point and the situation has escalated beyond him to the man who has the authority to put someone off the ship.

This must be tough for the captain to deal with. From what it sounds like this individual may have Autism or another disability which causes his behaviors. Its unfortunate that this individual does not want the cabin cleaned etc. I would imagine if there was an issue such as this there would be an attendant traveling with the individual with a disability.

As it sounds like this individual has some issues with self-care/hygiene and is not suitable to the cruising atmosphere. As a captain you do not want an individual who could be a danger to himself or others or who does not conform to the rules of the cruise. Its unfortunate but for the safety of others I hope he would get disembarked and get some help for his own safety.

The cruiseline can make reasonable accommodations such as large print for those with a visual impairment, accessible cabins etc. But they cannot have the stateroom attendant assist with dressing, personal hygiene etc. Just like on the airlines the flight attendant can assist an individual to open their meal, direct them to the restrooms, fill out customs forms etc but they are not obligated to change diapers etc.

Just trying to visualize how they will convince him to leave the ship and then how he will actually, physically be removed. He sounds enough off kilter that it could be a nasty confrontation and even require sedation to get the job done. I pity the persons on the receiving end at the disembarkation pier.

Actually, I am sorry that this was ever made public. This man is definitely suffering from some problem and needs to be dealt with, but I think of this: If this was your father, brother or son, would you want it to be discussed on an internet forum?

I hope he gets the help he needs and is not just left behind somewhere.

Debbie

Actually, I am sorry that this was ever made public. This man is definitely suffering from some problem and needs to be dealt with, but I think of this: If this was your father, brother or son, would you want it to be discussed on an internet forum?

I hope he gets the help he needs and is not just left behind somewhere.

Debbie

I think that details are generic enough that the privacy of this man is intact. We have no idea of his name, nationality or any other identifying features except a vague description.