YES it is a SCAM

The phone calls for the free cruise starts out like this...

You have won a free Royal Caribbian Cruise...

When you ask what cruise line the answer is...

A free Royal Caribbean Cruise on Royal Bahamas Cruise Line.

I hope Royal Caribbean can somehow put a stop to this misleading scam. It seems many are getting these calls!!!

I have gotten these calls but never make it to the point of finding out what line its on. Not sure who actually falls for this I just hang up. If I haven't entered a drawing of some kind how did I win? Their "free" most likely still requires all kinds of taxes/fees along with airfare. But I guess they wouldn't keep doing it if people didn't pay to "win" their "free" cruise. It would stop if people would stop being suckers.

I get these calls 2-3 times per year. If I am bored, and want to have some fun, I let on that I am interested, and go through about 20 minutes of sales pitch. Then I say that I just did a search online, and their promotion has gotten horrible reviews, and that I am not interested. I pepper the conversation with specifics on the cruise ship itself. They tend to be old ships that do a 2 night run to bahamas... you leave one afternoon, arrive in Nausau, and then that evening, head back to Florida to disembark the next morning.

The cabins they offer are inside with the fold down bunk style beds - no possibility to join the beds to make a Queen/King size. You can upgrade the cabin for an OV for a big price.

They tend to come with a few nights at a premium Orlando hotel. Google the name they give you, and you will see they are old, beat up hotels that get horrible reviews.

I have gotten these calls but never make it to the point of finding out what line its on. Not sure who actually falls for this I just hang up. If I haven't entered a drawing of some kind how did I win? Their "free" most likely still requires all kinds of taxes/fees along with airfare. But I guess they wouldn't keep doing it if people didn't pay to "win" their "free" cruise. It would stop if people would stop being suckers.

Well, when i did question the name...they have at least stopped calling. :)

However, I wish my friends Mother had hung up... she got taken for thousands of $$$...FYI for those who get a phone call from your grandson stating he has been arrested due to being with a friend who had drugs on him... not me, Grandma, but I was with him at the time because we flew down together for a very good friends wedding in the Caribbean ..and please, don't tell Mom and Dad, I don't want them to know, but I need bail money wired...

They are very very good scam artists.

Exactly. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I just ignore these types of come ons. Now watch...I probably missed a free cruise!:D

I got a call saying I won a free cruise to the Bahamas. They asked me what my income was. If I really won a free cruise, why would they ask me how much money I make? When I lied to them and said my income was $20,000, they said I didn't qualify for the free cruise anymore. Lol.

This Scam goes around all the time... here is an article you might like (it even quotes Cruise Critic)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lessons-from-my-free-cruise/

The writer of the article is exactly right! When I received the so called free cruise offer, it was the same way with me. They told me I had to accept the offer and give my credit card info for payment NOW! I told them I wanted to do some research and I was asked what did I need to research and that they can tell me everything I needed to know. I was told this was a one time deal and If I didn't do it while on the phone NOW then the offere would no longer be valid. I told them if I couldn't do my own research on this and call back if I wanted the deal then I guess I was just going to miss out!

I got a call saying I won a free cruise to the Bahamas. They asked me what my income was. If I really won a free cruise, why would they ask me how much money I make? When I lied to them and said my income was $20,000, they said I didn't qualify for the free cruise anymore. Lol.

LOL! What it is is that you didn't qualify for their Timeshare!

The phone calls for the free cruise starts out like this...

You have won a free Royal Caribbian Cruise...

When you ask what cruise line the answer is...

A free Royal Caribbean Cruise on Royal Bahamas Cruise Line.

I hope Royal Caribbean can somehow put a stop to this misleading scam. It seems many are getting these calls!!!

Did they actually say "ROYAL Caribbean?" I've gotten these solicitations before and they usually don't actually name a cruise line, they say "Caribbean cruise line" or something like that. Sometimes when the solicitation comes by mail they do include a picture of a ship that is very clearly a Royal Caribbean ship or Carnival ship or whatever, so that maybe subconsciously you assume it's RC or whoever.

Anyway, usually these are time share solicitations. They give you a free cruise, but expect you to sit through a time share sales pitch before boarding. (Hence, the need to run your credit...they want to make sure you're a viable candidate to buy a timeshare.) The reason for the credit card is likely because while the cruise itself is free, you have to pay the port fees and taxes. And of course, the "free" cruise only includes the cheapest of cheap inside cabins.... then they try like h*ll to get you to buy an upgraded cabin.

Technically not a scam, since you ARE, technically, getting a free cruise, yet it's far from the deal they present it to be when they first call or you first open the brochure.

• 4 years later...

I got a phone call today on my cell phone from Royal Seas Cruises... saying I had won a free Cruise to the Bahamas. I listened and went along to see what it was about... all sounded legit and could have been. had 18 months to do the cruise 3 day cruise out of Balm Beach to Grand Bahama Island, 1 day on the island, other days on ship. State room on the 12 deck cruise ship. Had to pay the $65 each for myself and a guest, needed to do that right now with a debit or credit card... that's when I said I was not interested and hung up. What is interesting about these newer scammers, is that they are somehow using local telephone numbers that you think could be someone from your home town or nearby town trying to get in contact with you... that is why I even answered it in the first place. Happy sailing...:D :):)

Oh... it is very interesting I got this phone call 1 day after going on TRIP ADVISORY"S web site to check on air fare and cruise information... but could have been one of those tricky roll over links or some other tricky way they have people hitting the wrong thing. if you know what I mean..

Edited by HaveNoMercyOnYou
forgot to say something...

My friend was told the cruise was on Caribbean Cruise Line. Free to her because it was a new ship and they wanted passenger feedback. She really thought it was the same as Royal Caribbean. Paid $1500 for an upgrade, since it was to be her honeymoon. Couldn't get a sail date. Eventually gave up.

Curious, what Caller ID shows up?

If the number shows Private, Unknown, or spoofs your Area Code and Prefix (aka NPA/NXX)...never answer those calls. Guarantee you if it goes to your voicemail, they will never leave a message!

Many calls come in as "LOCAL numbers, but they're not..somehow, these scammers are usurping other people's phone numbers. I once called one back and got a business that had no idea their number was being used.

I think a lot of these scammers prey on older people who maybe have extra money and want to have someone to talk with. I’ve gotten this one - just yesterday got one threatening to have the local cops (yes, they actually said cops) come and arrest me for non-payment of income tax (when I pointed out that the IRS never calls anyone, they hung up, then called my husband’s cell with the same story). Also got the plea from grandson needing money - too bad he didn’t remember his name. My all time favorite is the one offering help in paying off my student loans - uh, I graduated college in 1968 when tuition at the State college was $75. Per semester. Ya think?

What is curious about this (I regularly receive the same call) is that there has AFAIK, never been any connection between who is making these calls and the cruise line. Most suspect the calls are related to time share pitches.

The cruise line is now owned, partly by Kevin Sheehan , former CEO at NCL and who had a TV show called Undercover Boss.

They operate a former Carnival ship (it still has the whale tail funnel) ot of Palm Beach, and will soon add a second ship, a former Costa ship.

Many calls come in as "LOCAL numbers, but they're not..somehow, these scammers are usurping other people's phone numbers. I once called one back and got a business that had no idea their number was being used.

You are correct, I just got a call this morning that showed it was from my local area code and prefix, I let it go to my voicemail, and they actually left a message stating I had recently inquired about applying for Social Security Benefits, and the woman's voice asked: 'Can you hear me ok?"

Two problems with above, another scam is having someone asking if you can hear them ok, you say "yes", they record that "yes", and off they go using your voice to defraud you.

Next problem, that woman's voice is the exact same voice last week that called me and told me my warranty on a car I owned 10 years ago (and no longer own), has expired, and I must purchase a new warranty now!

Off topic, but the funniest call I ever got was:

Caller: May I speak to John's mother, please?

Me: I'm sorry, she can't come to the phone right now. She's dead. (Really, she was)

Caller: OK, I'll call back later.

Me: OK, but she'll still be dead.

They kept calling, I kept saying she was dead. Then I referred them to Madam Sarah, the medium who can contact people in the great beyond. The calls stopped.

They use phone numbers with your area code and next 3 digits and these belong to real people! I got one the other day and answered because I was in a mood to tell someone off and it was a man wanting to know why I keep calling him about a car warranty. He was in a mood to tell someone off too!

They use phone numbers with your area code and next 3 digits and these belong to real people! I got one the other day and answered because I was in a mood to tell someone off and it was a man wanting to know why I keep calling him about a car warranty. He was in a mood to tell someone off too!

Sometimes I know I'm being spoofed with a phone # from my exact area code and prefix, and answer. I listen to their spiel and scam, and then say: 'I know where you work and sleep, watch your back! You won't believe how fast they hang up.

What are they gonna do, complain to the FCC?