how much info shared with customs/immigration?

kingstonKouple72

all my past cruises have been from a US port.... so when clearing customs and immigration, the officers only care about if I was leaving anything behind in the USA....

We are booked for Alaska from Vancouver this July.

We are only permitted one litre of alcohol per person to be brought back into Canada duty free.

Not that *I* would do it.. but if, by some slim chance, a Canadian citizen happened to purchase more (lots more) than their allowance from the ships booze-store.... does this get reported to the Canada Border Security Agency by HAL (or any other cruise line)?

Thanks.

Edited by kingstonKouple72

We are only permitted one litre of alcohol per person to be brought back into Canada duty free.

Not that *I* would do it.. but if, by some slim chance, a Canadian citizen happened to purchase more (lots more) than their allowance from the ships booze-store....

The operative phrase here is "duty-free". We are permitted to bring back any liquor we want to into Canada, but we must declare it and pay duty and taxes and provincial assessments on it. I once read here on the boards about someone who did not declare a large onboard jewelry purchase (like I mean thousands of dollars) and was stopped and questioned at the border going home. I mean, his fault for not declaring it but it made me think that the ship does declare something to our home country's Border Services when the amount is significant. I honestly don't think they care abut a few bottles of liquor.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#s2x13

Enjoy your cruise. :)

all my past cruises have been from a US port.... so when clearing customs and immigration, the officers only care about if I was leaving anything behind in the USA....

Not that *I* would do it.. but if, by some slim chance, a Canadian citizen happened to purchase more (lots more) than their allowance from the ships booze-store.... does this get reported to the Canada Border Security Agency by HAL (or any other cruise line)?

Thanks.

I would bet that it does. And I would not try to get away with it. I've seen these guys in action at JFK and I rank them with the IRS....people I don't want to know of my existence.

It certainly does get reported. Not only that, but any purchase like smoking products, alcohol and even jewelry/watches are reported before the ship docks. What happens is that if you go over the amount allowable by law, you'll get a letter in your cabin that you must report to a specific room on the ship, usually before 7:30am, and you must bring all your purchases and receipts with you. It's there that you'll be paying Custom's duty.

I've been in that room when I purchased a necklace and these guys don't mess around---they have a list with the names of all the people who went over the limits and they cross off names as people appear. Plus, the ship will not be cleared by officials until all the persons on their list have reported and paid their duty.

It certainly does get reported. Not only that, but any purchase like smoking products, alcohol and even jewelry/watches are reported before the ship docks. What happens is that if you go over the amount allowable by law, you'll get a letter in your cabin that you must report to a specific room on the ship, usually before 7:30am, and you must bring all your purchases and receipts with you. It's there that you'll be paying Custom's duty.

I've been in that room when I purchased a necklace and these guys don't mess around---they have a list with the names of all the people who went over the limits and they cross off names as people appear. Plus, the ship will not be cleared by officials until all the persons on their list have reported and paid their duty.

This may be only for Americans entering the US, we are from the UK and have bought jewellery over the 'Duty Free' allowance onboard ship and have never been called to this room or have been stopped by customs at US ports.

This may be only for Americans entering the US, we are from the UK and have bought jewellery over the 'Duty Free' allowance onboard ship and have never been called to this room or have been stopped by customs at US ports.

This applies to USA Citizens as well a foreign passengers with a USA residence card, student visa , work visa or other documents that allow them to remain in the USA for an extended period of time.

Bringing back more than the allowable amount of alcohol isn't a big deal. The last time we travelled, we each brought 2 bottles of wine (we found a great winery and bought extra) - the duty we paid was $1.68 per bottle. Hardly worth the effort of trying to conceal it and then having it discovered through a search.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We are Canadians and when we returned to port US Customs didn't ask about alcohol. When we got to the border, CBSA asked. There were four adults and I declared six litres of alcohol. You are actually allowed 1.14 litres each so we were 1.46 litres over. He waved us through.

I'm a US citizen who travels to Quebec and Ontario on occasion, and I think the Canadian Customs agents are a lot tougher than the Americans. I would never try to slip anything by them. How much could the tax on a couple bottles be anyway?

Edited by Alpha84

There's an app for that..........You can get an app will calculate the amount of duty owed for alcohol and tobacco you may want to bring back into Canada in amounts above your duty-free limit. So if you're considering buying amounts greater than the limit, you can see how much duty it would cost you. It might help you determine if it's worth while.

• 5 months later...

My experience with Customs and Immigration officials around the world is that the best policy is to be upfront and honest with them. They are not worried about Mr and Mrs Tourist coming with an extra bottle of wine as long as it is declared. Failing to declare and then them finding it different story.

If in doubt about anything with any border official worldwide declare it.

The issue is whether you have tried to deceive the border agents. If you don't declare all the liquor and they find it, they may assume that's not the only thing you're lying about. That could be very unpleasant. It's no help to say, "Aw shucks, you caught me, okay, I'll pay the duty." Technically, you're been caught trying smuggle and they can charge you. The system has no sense of humour.

I declare everything, every time. I also keep cash register receipts to prove I paid the amount I say I paid. On land crossings in Ontario, the border agents can become very difficult if you don't have those receipts. It's an invitation to be told to "go inside" the building and possibly to have your car torn apart while they look for contraband. They don't put it back together either.

The best policy is to declare everything and have your receipts available. Sometimes they wave you through - that's a bonus. But never lie. And don't think you can say you forgot. They've heard that a million times.

It wasn't a cruise but I remember a few years ago on the Ukranian border with Poland on an overnight train being woken up to passport/customs control.

I was over the limit (4 cartons) on cigarettes and when asked if I had anything to declare said yes and showed to the customs girl. She took them all even my supposed allowance.

Only to nicely return them with a wink after 30 minutes and instructions to keep it to myself (previous conversation never happened).

Be honest is the best policy in my opinion.

Edited by Crabmanstyle

Thanks.

All you do is declare what you have and if necessary you pay respective duty in it

No issue at all

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Considering that your onboard account is closed around 2:00 am, on the morning of your return, do you really think that Customs is not provided a copy of your account? Yeah, you keep believing that . . .

So, when you give the Customs Officer the big-eyed look and say, "No. Nothing to declare . . ." what do you think they're looking at on that computer screen?:eek:

There's an old adage that lawyers, detectives and any interviewer learns early on . . . Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to.

Your best bet? Be honest. Go ahead and pay the extra import duty. It's going to be much cheeper than a fine . . . and consfication . . . and prison . . . and meeting your new wife - "Bubba"!

Edited by Calgon1

Considering that your onboard account is closed around 2:00 am, on the morning of your return, do you really think that Customs is not provided a copy of your onboard account?

So, when you give the Customs Officer the big-eyed look and say, "No. Nothing to declare . . ." that they don't already know? :eek:

Yeah. You keep believing that . . .

I don't wear that. 3000 people with on board purchases given to Customs on docking. Yeah right ! What about all the other purchases one makes whilst out of country. In our country there are trained customs officers profiling people as they come and go within the Customs Hall. Some they pick out and give the 3rd degree others get waived past. If one is honest and up front one has nothing to worry about, if not then be prepared to face consequences

I'll never forget on our first cruise when I got to Immigration/Customs: I was a Canadian but living in the US. They asked how much alcohol I was bringing back. I told them the legal limit. They asked me again. I told them again. They asked me again - did I not KNOW what I was bringing back. Now you understand I said. I don't know. All I know is that my brothers told me I had to keep drinking last night until we got to the legal limit. :rolleyes: I drank - we hit the limit. That's all I knew. They let me go :D.

In our country there are trained customs officers profiling people as they come and go within the Customs Hall. Some they pick out and give the 3rd degree others get waived past. If one is honest and up front one has nothing to worry about, if not then be prepared to face consequences

... and dogs with keen noses. I remember a Kiwi officer yelling at a couple from India trying to smuggle in a can of food. "You declare it and I decide whether it's admissible or not."

I only have one Customs story and it's not ours since we rarely buy anything - prefer to save our money for ANOTHER Cruise :p

But I have a friend who cruised with her husband and he took his new Rolex with him (without any receipts). He bought my friend, his wife, a new Rolex. They both WORE them when they got off the ship, without declaring the one he just purchased. and YES - they got stopped. He had to pay customs on BOTH Rolex Watches, even though one was not purchased on that trip.

OUCH!!! But of course I guess if you can afford to buy 2 Rolex's, you can afford the Duty. ;)

That is exactly my point. If he'd declared the Rolex his wife was wearing (and produced a receipt) he'd probably have been fine. But he got cute. And his wife's Rolex was obviously brand-new (the agents weren't born yesterday).

Once you get caught in a small lie, they think there's more there. And probably they're right about that some of the time. And when they find a little lie, they'll go looking for the rest of it all the time.