Do I take a sport jacket on Caribbean cruise?

edgee

I am about to take my second Caribbean cruise on Oceania (Riviera). I forget whether or not I took a sport jacket and/or needed one on the last one. Less concerned about formality; I know there is not a written dress code where sport coats are needed on Oceania, but wondered whether the dining rooms are cold enough to merit a sport coat or whether a sizable number of passengers wear them as part of a "smart casual" atmosphere. Thanks for any advice on this!

No!

Funnily enough, on our recent (January 13 - January 23) Riviera cruise, our first-ever Caribbean cruise, on average, the women dressed noticably more casually than on our European cruises, but many more men wore blue sports jackets for their evening meals.

My husband brought one of those on our first cruise in 2008, and never since!:)

Edited by CintiPam

Dh did not take his but wished he had a sweater or jacket in Horizons some days

The A/C was different in each dining venue so you just never know

It is a personal choice in any event

Edited by LHT28

DH is rarely cold (OK, his fingers got cold skiing today in 10 degree weather), so won't take one on our November Oceania cruise. I agree that it's personal preference.

I, OTOH, am often cold, so will make sure I wear something with sleeves.

IMO, there were more sports jackets in the specialty restaurants and Le Reserve. Although we enjoy being fairly casual (elegant casual), whenever we go to an upscale restaurant, my DH would feel funny wearing short sleeved shirts and no jacket. But, it is not required.

Related question: are there proportionally more sport jackets on men in the specialty restaurants and La Reserve, than typically in the MDR?

The jackets seem to come out more for those venues

I'd say La Reserve maybe 60% wear a coat and 40% don't--that's what I've seen and I've been to La reserve at least 6 times.

The other specialty restaurants really depends on the crowd, I've seen 75% no jackets and I maybe 40% sometimes with jackets. It's a mixed bag, you never know.

However I'd do what you feel most conformable with, don't worry about it and enjoy your vacation.

Ronrick has paid more attention than I have to mens' attire in La Reserve, but I'd say even so it doesn't really matter. No one will be upset if you show up in La Reserve sans jacket.

I do think DH wears a sport coat in that venue ... well, it's not really a "sport" jacket, it's a leather jacket he acquired in Majorca a thousand years ago. Not sure of its qualification as such ...

It's really NOT a problem. Wear one if you like to be a bit more formal, don't wear one if you don't want to. No one will castigate you for failure to conform to standard etiquette!

It is probably true that men who would choose to wear a sport jacket in a specialty restaurant would not bother doing so in the MDR, and certainly not in Terrace.

Come to think of it, I've never noticed if sport jackets were present in Terrace ... I just assumed that they weren't! Everyone is more casual there ...

Mura

At La reserve on our recent trip, I would say it was 50/50 regarding sports jackets or not. My husband and our friend had long sleeve dress shirts, and I felt they were totally appropriate (and I am a hard sell).

Remember that the Caribbean, because it is so hot, has ALWAYS been less dressy than any other area of the World, so Caribbean cruises should not necessarily be used as a yardstick.

Men tend to wear sports jackets more often when the weather is cooler, whatever the dress code is.

Related question: are there proportionally more sport jackets on men in the specialty restaurants and La Reserve, than typically in the MDR?

After 162 nights on Oceania ships, and more than 60 nights in specialty restaurants, truthfully, I never noticed. Everyone looks nice. I sometimes take a sports coat, and sometimes wear it -- on a whim -- not for any special event or special venue. Mainly, I wear it when I'm feeling fat -- I think it hides my pot belly.

After 162 nights on Oceania ships, and more than 60 nights in specialty restaurants, truthfully, I never noticed. Everyone looks nice. I sometimes take a sports coat, and sometimes wear it -- on a whim -- not for any special event or special venue. Mainly, I wear it when I'm feeling fat -- I think it hides my pot belly.

It does.....

He's not fat-

but it does..... :D

I think a sportjacket isnt really necessary, unless u get cold easy. But, what about jeans around the ship on sea days?

During the day? Why not? The dress code, such as it is, is only effective in the evening -- and even then, it is technically only effective in the restaurants.

During the day? Why not? The dress code, such as it is, is only effective in the evening -- and even then, it is technically only effective in the restaurants.

Why would anybody bother to lug jeans on a cruise? They're heavy, take forever to dry and can easily be replaced by any number of chino's, cotten pants or linens.

Wear the jeans at home.

Agree with JimandStan - you certainly can wear jeans or shorts during the day but why wear denim on a tropical cruise? We will do our first Caribbean cruise on Oceania later this year and plan on packing the same things we pack for our Regent tropical cruises........ cotton shorts, pants, shirts, blouses....... just about everything in light, airy fabrics. When we were on the Riviera in the Mediterranean, we saw lots of cotton and linen but very little denim.

If nothing else, think about packing. I would guess that one pair of denim shorts weighs about the same as 3 pair of cotton shorts. With the cost of extra luggage, this is one way to save (plus packing shoes with changeable "tops").

Anyway, just think about it...... if you still want to pack denim, go for it:)